[Mk2] [Turbo] HKS SSQV dead

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DangerJim

[Mk2] [Turbo] HKS SSQV dead

Post by DangerJim »

I've had the car for just over a week now and I've been suspicious that it's not boosting properly.
I was advised by Pacific Works that my BOV could be leaking, at the time there was no time to check it.

Well, I took it off yesterday and the sealing ring has broken off it's mount! I'm surprised it failed so drastically. It was leaking in idle...

I tried to araldite it back on at work last night:

But unsurprisingly it didn't work:

So I'm going to need either a replacement part for it or a new BOV. I might go back to the stock system until I can afford a new BOV. I want a decent adjustable one.
Draven

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] HKS SSQV dead

Post by Draven »

I sold mine and just use the standard.. tis a much better bit of kit.. but if you like the woosh then you'll probably want a new unit..

They come up quite often in forsale
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Draven wrote:I sold mine and just use the standard.. tis a much better bit of kit..

Agreed. Never understood the desire for whoosh noise.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
Draven wrote:I sold mine and just use the standard.. tis a much better bit of kit..

Agreed. Never understood the desire for whoosh noise.

It's a look at me look at me type thing I think. I'd much rather know it is doing the job it is supposed too. :thumleft: I know the BOV isn't as important on Rev3+ plus but still.
DangerJim

Post by DangerJim »

Since I've had it it's grown on me a lot. It's completely ridiculous though I agree.

I'm on the hunt now for a stock bov asap for cheapness and reliability (unless I can find a decent whooshy one for a good price :-))
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'm running 400+bhp @ 1.6bar on a stock BOV without any issues. You still get some noise, it's just not as Max Power as the HKS etc.
craig

Post by craig »

Well, I like m HKS bov. I certainly don't use it for Max Power status or "look at me" etc.

Each to their own, I guess.

Sounds better than the receirc "fart" anyhow :lol:
StevieL

Post by StevieL »

I have one (SSQV) somewhere you can have mega cheap for spares dude :thumleft:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

this is exactly what happened to mine one winter, it was near new too, i reckon it had frozen shut, then got ripped apart when it opened :(
uglee

Post by uglee »

After 3 months my old unit did exactly the same, the plastic welds fail on the small legs behnd that face and it fails to seal. Went back to Fensport for a full refund and stuck with the standard recirc.

For the money they are a massive pile of crap made as cheaply as possible!

In my defence this was a VERY long time ago that I bought it and I have since grown up from wanting my car to make silly whooshy noises 8-[
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

My old forester had a copy version, never had a problem with it!! So just shows you!!
uglee

Post by uglee »

sheppy wrote:My old forester had a copy version, never had a problem with it!! So just shows you!!

Yeah I had a cheapo Ebay version of the SSQV laying around and comparing them both together the Ebay one was substantially better made.

I didn't make much of a fuss about it at the time as folk were all raving about them and knew I'd be in for a flaming at the time #-o
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

uglee wrote:For the money they are a massive pile of crap made as cheaply as possible.-[

+1

You can go to Forge and buy a billet aluminium BOV, recirc or VTA, customised to your own max boost for less than half the price. Go figure... :?
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

uglee wrote:
sheppy wrote:My old forester had a copy version, never had a problem with it!! So just shows you!!

Yeah I had a cheapo Ebay version of the SSQV laying around and comparing them both together the Ebay one was substantially better made.

I didn't make much of a fuss about it at the time as folk were all raving about them and knew I'd be in for a flaming at the time #-o

same here mate, had a couple of them, never had a problem, only problem i had was with a genuine one, the knock offs work and are great value for money :thumleft: :thumleft:
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

I have a hks sqv (the first gen) that's been sprayed satin black, that you can have for £40 posted?

It's in excellent condition, and works perfectly. It also fits your hks flange ;)

I also have a stock one that I'll do for £35 posted

Or an ssqv in great condition, that I'll do for £60 posted :)
DangerJim

Post by DangerJim »

Cheers mate but I'm sorted now, went for a stock one in the end.

Does anybody know how much boost a stock one can take?
rs007

Post by rs007 »

DangerJim wrote:Cheers mate but I'm sorted now, went for a stock one in the end.

Does anybody know how much boost a stock one can take?

Magic Beans is making over 400 brake on 1.6bar - so my guess on how much the stock valve can take would be "enough"

:D

Makes me almost want to change my wooshy one!

Which I have specifically for the look at me factor lol
Peter Gidden

Post by Peter Gidden »

rs007 wrote:Magic Beans is making over 400 brake on 1.6bar - so my guess on how much the stock valve can take would be "enough"

Will always be enough with a stock BOV, since it uses boost pressure to seal. Higher the pressure, harder it seals.
DangerJim

Post by DangerJim »

Cool, cheers
DangerJim

Post by DangerJim »

I fitted the stock BOV earlier and took it for a spin. Safe to say the leak was sapping some power, you can really feel the turbo in 4th and 5th now.

I left it venting to atmosphere and the sound isn't that far off the HKS to be honest, I'll try it recirculated at some point to compare.

Return to “Mechanical”