At Long Last.... Pistols 1.5 swap

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

pistol pete

At Long Last.... Pistols 1.5 swap

Post by pistol pete »

Cannot believe i am actually starting this

been collecting bit and as much info as i possible can.. And of course driven Mr Woods nuts with Questions..
I was at one stage going to buy Paul's first mk1.5 but unfortunatly i didn't (wish i had)

Wanted to make a mk1.5 for a long time as i love the turbo shove but do love my mk1's
as most know i have had a high powered SC which was very quick, but it never had the shove it was very progressive power..
and after 8 mk1's i am here.. now today, started..
so here we go :)

this is the beaut its going into
has a resto a couple of years ago so nice and no rust on it..
Its already got a set of WMS brakes on it (which will be getting new discs and pads front and rear) and Apex springs
also it will be getting polybush suspension, Bigger ARB,

Here is said engine

It came from SuperNail..
It's already got a oil filter relocator and the alternator bracket moved as it came from a mk1, also correct drive shafts

But the wiring loom is shot, missing alternator, and intercooler, and CV boots split

Now luckily i have a mk2 alternator laying around so thats sorted.

So i Managed to get the morning on it, some on the car and some on the engine (due to Rain)

I pick up an engine stand next week so the engine will get head work, metal head gasket, new cambelt, water pump, tensioners, and probably new shells too
(but all this side of things is new to me so there will be lots of silly questions sorry) but i also wanna learn my car inside and out so best way to do it, also several pipes on engine were already disconnected so i am sure going back together there will be a bit of.."err wheres this one go??"

sorry back onto today.. i wanted to start stripping down the 4AGE ready for dropping out this week,
and strip off the 3sgte loom and box etc ready for the stand and see how bad the loom is

so starting off with the mk1,, tried to get it to run out of fuel.. but it just kept running.. do not know how!!!!
Got to be very care getting the engine out as most likely gonna be used to go in my brothers mini..
armed with my Paul Woods guide off i went

a while later before the rain came again its now in this state.. and then it chucked it down (cannot wait for the impreza to move so i can get it under cover)

So into the garage to look at the engine.. It is a mess (but is was cheap) needs a really good clean and paint, it will look awesome when done
As i have taken things off i have taken photos of everything so i hope i remember where is all goes... (98 photos already)
some of the things i found with the loom

Its still got its CAT!!
that's a big mess of pipes !!!

Got the loom off
it is a bit of a mess

got the intake off and fuel lines and lots of other bits and pieces looking a bit clearer

by then it was about 1pm.. family time so cleared up till next time (might get a touch of time 2morrow)
i have loads of pics of every step as i take stuff off but wont bore you with that as you seen it before..
All pics will be in this album feel free to browse it
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v323/ ... l/mk1%205/

I know most will do it quicker etc but i am trying really hard not to break anything i and i not wanna rush and d something silly so i am making sure i am being patient)very hard for me)

so till next time... (at least its started now)
craig

Re: At Long Last.... Pistols 1.5 swap

Post by craig »

Good stuff Pete, will be keeping an eye on this one! :D
timlowthian

Post by timlowthian »

Looks a great shell to be converting! I'd love one of these but not sure I'd be able to do it myself! Will follow this closely!
Rev 1 NA to Turbo conversion!
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Will this be your transport for Le Mans Pete?
craig

Post by craig »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:Will this be your transport for Le Mans Pete?

No chance, he'll have sold it by end of November, and had 6 Supras by then! :mrgreen:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Ha
I would love it to be if it is done in time

But that'll only happen I get lots of info when I get lost
Which will probably happen quite often
Everyone has been a great help so far
As for the car itself really clean kels has banned me from selling this and hidden the log book

But I am alowed to change the vrs next year for my supra if I can afford it but at mo gonna be putting my money into next years trip and getting this car done asap
craig

Post by craig »

Well played Kel!! :mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I begins :D

No half jobs on this one, you've got 8 months and counting :mrgreen:

Kudos for doing it yourself though :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

yeah i may regret it.. but i wanna learn any bits i don't know (never done a clutch and head gasket but gonna do both) i already do most other things myself on the car.. gotta start somewhere :thumleft: :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Well not much happened sunday was going up to Ben Edwards for his Bday but unfortunately this happened

was at hospital with her for 24hours :(
she had quincey, at long last diagnosed as she has has "tonsillitis" 5 times in the last year.. this time it closed up her airway and she has absess on her tonsil (left side) but after giving her an IV and staying overnight with antibiotics and steriods she came home today .. i was incharge of looking after her and Kel (who had been with her over night)
but they both fell asleep... sooooo out i went :)

todays up date

time to get you out you little bu88er

Had a right pig tryin to get the drivers side mount to come away from the engine but got there

the crowd was eager with anticipation (she woke up)

and its out

can't go without the

hmm somethings missing

I am most impressed was i took my time as wanted nothing to break as is going in the mini.. and NOTHING!! broke at all everything, come off easily (so far), but also found out why my engine "kicked" so much.. all the engine mounts were pretty loose..

started striping parts left out of the bay and found this
guessing it was a way for immobilizer?? it wont be redone...

also now the AGE is out.. is there anything extra i need to take off it for my 3s?
sensors, pipes etc etc??
my 3s come out of a mk1 so guess the oil sender has already been done...

thanks for looking
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

been a bit quite sorry been busy sorting our daily runners

anyway its back on track

i have now ordered The paul woods mounting Jig
new gasket kit for the engine
walbro fuel pump
arp head studs
and FCD
engine stand

car is up on axel stands as soon as i get my grinder back the engine mounts will be off
also gonna drop out the fuel tank and underseal the car
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

You've still got 6-7 months to get it finished :mrgreen:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

okay getting scared now
i am venturing into the complete unknown
looking at it thinking... am I gonna be able to out this back together?? i honestly have no idea but i hope so..

I want to get on with the car and get that ready for the enigne but the enigne stand arrived so had a go with at that,.

first off got the gearbox off removed the clutch ( was trying to work out how that all worked and just could not get my head round it) i take it the long pines are what are pushed buy the fork?

anyways ill get some pics off the clutch as i think it is okay

tried to put the engine on the stand then found that had to take the flywheel off so removed that too
eventually got the engine onto the stand and ready for rest of parts to be removed , like said really scared now but enjoying it
getting as many photos as i can but sure i will be asking lots of questions as it goes back together, may be asking for turbo connection diagrams and vacumm and water.. but i think ill work it out

any days the weather is good ill be on the car, bad days ill be on the engine..
till i can sort the roof over the car that is
pics

gearbox off

flywheel off

clutch
taped the so i remember which way round it goes

on its stand

needs lots of cleaning this engine

am i right in saying i dont need this sensor

but i do need this one

cheers
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

todays job tidy the shed so i know where i am
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

pistol pete wrote:todays job tidy the shed so i know where i am

\
At your place in your shed I hope or else the neighbours in for a suprise!
Enjoying your thread Pete, Please, Keep posting updates.
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

shed done :thumleft:

Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Liking the shrine to former cars, it's a nice touch :thumleft: I have the plate from the blue car mounted in my garage.

I have every faith you'll break the back of this conversion, so crack on as we want to read about it :wink:

Sensors wise - I believe the first is the Cat temp sensor and isn't needed. The second is your lambda sensor and is needed :)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Magic Beans wrote:Liking the shrine to former cars, it's a nice touch :thumleft: I have the plate from the blue car mounted in my garage.

I have every faith you'll break the back of this conversion, so crack on as we want to read about it :wink:

Sensors wise - I believe the first is the Cat temp sensor and isn't needed. The second is your lambda sensor and is needed :)

yep that was my thinking with teh sensors
cheers buddy
really getting into doing it now :thumleft: :thumleft:
just worred about getting it back together but im sure i will manage
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

pistol pete wrote:
Magic Beans wrote:Liking the shrine to former cars, it's a nice touch :thumleft: I have the plate from the blue car mounted in my garage.

yep that was my thinking with teh sensors
cheers buddy
really getting into doing it now :thumleft: :thumleft:
just worred about getting it back together but im sure i will manage

There's a lot of good brains around here who are always willing to offer advice. As the man with the white glove used to say; you are not alone :lol:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

todays up date

Done one of the worse jobs

dropped the fuel tank..
but unfortunaly managed to pull the wires out of the fuel sender (i guess thats what it is) so ill have to hunt another down

currently now stored in shed untill i get my new pump, run the battery wire and changed throttle cable also waxoiled the underneath of the car

then i went about stripping the engine down
and got quite far.. now really scared gotta know where it all goes back together .. lets hope it runs when it does, taken sooo many photos
:-k :oops:

now sits like this..
ready for final stripping and cleaning

Return to “Member Profiles”