Oil Leak

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

FossMan

Oil Leak

Post by FossMan »

There is a slight oil leak on my MR2, which was noted in my most recent MOT. Even though it didn't fail I would quite like to sort it out. The garage wanted £55 extra to diagnose it for me though so I thought I would check here first to see if it was a common problem that could be diagnosed without taking bits of the engine off before buying some new gaskets/seals etc.

I say the leak is slight because the level does not drop noticeably - the only way you can tell is that there is a 'mist' of oil spray on the underside of the engine lid, so it would seem that the oil is finding its way on to the timing belt and splashing upwards.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Thanks,
Chris :)
PW@Woodsport

Re: Oil Leak

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Camshaft oil seal/seals sounds favourite, impossible to say unless you take it apart to be honest.
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

PW@Woodsport wrote:Camshaft oil seal/seals sounds favourite, impossible to say unless you take it apart to be honest.

could be from the cam cover seal, or the cam seals as Paul says, but could just as easily be from the bottom of the engine and be being thrown back up by the cam belt, no way of deffinately knowing unless you do as the "master" says and take it apart
I wasn't aware an oil leak it now an MOT failure! I have had helpful MOT testers just give me the heads up on a leak while they were checking, but never an official advisory
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

It's not from leaving the oil filler cap off by accident is it? ;)
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
FossMan

Post by FossMan »

So it could be literally anything then. Oh well thought it was worth asking.

Thanks for replying! And Lauren, no I have done plenty of stupid things but leaving the oil cap off isn't one of them yet ;)
MrLuke

Post by MrLuke »

bit of a hijack but does anybody know where you can get the sealing washers on top of the cam cover? I dont appear to have any :(
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

MrLuke wrote:bit of a hijack but does anybody know where you can get the sealing washers on top of the cam cover? I dont appear to have any :(

genuine toyota only item, or if you are a tight wad (this may apply to me) you can use rubber washers from B&Q you have to remove all the old rubber from the cup washer and replace it with the new one, I think they are the ones used for sealing central heating drain valves and come in a pack of 4, they are a nice tight fit over the studs and do seal well, I have used them a few times
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

MrLuke wrote:bit of a hijack but does anybody know where you can get the sealing washers on top of the cam cover? I dont appear to have any :(

As other's have said, Toyota. :+:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Lauren wrote:

As other's have said, Toyota. :+:

only place i know of to get the genuine article, my bodge came from a sunday morning tinkering session, always best to preplan stuff though
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

It might have something to do with your car being a Mk2, this is the Mk1 section :thumleft:

I have my own secret supplier for these washers, i've loads of new ones if anyone needs them, no need to get your pants pulled down by Toyota, same quality too.
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Lauren wrote:It's not from leaving the oil filler cap off by accident is it? ;)

I've done that twice!! Silly me!!

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”