[Mk2] [NA] Fuel gauge playing up

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

aj.extreme

[Mk2] [NA] Fuel gauge playing up

Post by aj.extreme »

Hi

My fuel gauge "empty light" is on but the needle on the gauge reads 1/4 full? Only just happened the other day whilst rolling her out/starting her up after being garaged in the bad weather. Not 100% sure on amount of petrol in the tank as its been in the garage over the winter.

Just stuck £10 in and the needle went up and light went off? but am worried now that i'm gonna get myself in trouble by running out of fuel and looking like a right pleb on the side of the road.

If i reset the ECU will this reset the fuel gauge or is there any other way of achieving this. Really odd

](*,)

ps its a rev 3 n/a import.

Did think about pulling the clocks out and removing the plastic front and pushing the needle down too empty and seeing if it stays put when the light comes on again? and then refill and see what happens?

Any ideas or similar issues resolved greatly appreciated

cheers Ajay
nick200

Re: [Mk2] [NA] Fuel gauge playing up

Post by nick200 »

Pretty sure the level reading is seperate from the fuel low light.

So maybe a fault with either, or maybe in the past the cluster has been removed and so the needle not correct.

You could do a full tank, set the needle to max and work from there, since you won't know when you have an empty tank
aj.extreme

Post by aj.extreme »

Yeah that probably sounds the best idea.

Go fill it up, push the needle to full and see how it goes from there?

It does have new dials as was an import but converted to UK 180mph so maybe the needles been moved? Shame it does not just level itself when the ignition is turned on like other cars? and weird how i have never had a problem in the past

Anyways i'll try the above, thanks for the idea :thumleft:
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

nick200 wrote:Pretty sure the level reading is seperate from the fuel low light.

Correct.

Return to “Electrical”