dropping the eninge out

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve-O 2007

dropping the eninge out

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Going to be dropping the engine out soon and was just wondering is an engine crane or anything needed?

is it easier to drop it out complete with the driveshafts and subframe still on etc?

4ndee

Re: dropping the eninge out

Post by 4ndee »

There is a post on mr2oct in there knowledge base. They drop it out onto skateboards lol. Personalaly I would use a crane and lift it out and leave the subframe in.
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

pretty sure engine cant come out the top?

If you are doing it on the driveway or similar you need an engine crane, a ratchet strap or old seatbelt and a trolley. Drop the engine down onto the trolley. Lift the car up using the strap round the engine mounting points at the sides and wheel the engine out from underneath.
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

The first time I dropped an engine out of an mr2 I used a metal bar under the car (and blocks) with a jack to lift the car off the engine subfame assembly (on a trolley) and had help, I used the crane (on the T-bar) to drop the engine out singlehanded.
I have always dropped them out complete engine, box, shafts etc.
Rosssco

Post by Rosssco »

You really either want to remove the subframe first, then lower the engine out through the bottom (obviously). It can stay on, but I find it get in the way, and its only four bolts... If the engine is being shipped, things like driveshafts and subframe will need to be removed anyway.

I'd definately get a hold of an engine crane, even just a 1-day hire from a place isn't usually expensive, and will save major agro. Try get an adjustable balance bar with it also.

I jacked the car up, and supported it under the bulk head at the front firewall. This leaves nothing to get in the way of the engine crane. I lowered the engine / gearbox onto floor boards, and just dragged it out from underneath (its a heavy bu88er mind..), then lifted up by the crane, and lowered onto the pallet. Just depends what you want to do with it. I'd get it onto a pallet anyway, as then at least it can be moved when you hand the engine crane back :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

thanks will have a go, if it gets to awkward I will dig the angle grinder out and cut the back end to bits LOL
ashley

Post by ashley »

Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

thanks will have a read :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

rained off again!!
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

got sick of the weather being crap all the time so just said sod it, fired 2 jumpers on and headed outside into the cold and light on and off rain :lol:

after 3 hours Im at this (turbo was already off) -

got too dark to carry on.

All thats left to disconnect from the top from the looks of it is the Gearshift cables and clutch lines.

I will probably be ill tomorrow from doing this in crap weather lol

:thumleft:
ashley

Post by ashley »

Good progress mate :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

thanks it realy is a small engine once you get everything out of the way lol

Wanted to get it done today but got properly rained off, even the cat looked out the window and said "fook that" and went back to bed lol
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Dropped it out with 2x jacks onto a trolly with a tyre on it

just need to jack the car right up into the air and wheel the engine out :thumleft:
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

its out :mrgreen: :thumleft:

Draven

Post by Draven »

Nice..

How did you get the car up that high??

I know that is probably a stupid question..
ashley

Post by ashley »

Looking at it- by taking off the front bumper, then by jacking it on the sills...
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

yup :thumleft: Front bumper off, chocks under the front wheels, front trays off, jack on each side each with a brick on to give extra height. Could have done with the brick on its side realy as the jacks maxed out and It only just cleared coming out. :mrgreen:

Oh yea and I jacked each side up slowly one at a time :thumleft:

I started off with the car on stands first then lowered the engine down to the trolley and then jacked the car up
Draven

Post by Draven »

Ah cool.. Just interested really
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

Pukka job...hats off to a guy who gets stuck in...not applicable to this story now but....

Bricks are not strong enought to jack up a car on, not on the sill/jacking runners...lol...one sharp crack of the trowel and they split like peas, even engineering bricks arn't designed to take that kind of pressure...in effect , you've just made a giant brick cutter, that doesn't work very well...fkn health and saftey would $hit said brick if they saw that mate...not trying to be picky or nothin' but not everyone has the mechanical aptitude and application to wing it like this...saying that, I applaude you again on your determination, what turbo unit do you have?
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

lol, yea I thought the bricks might have split so just took my time and adjusted the stands as I went up incase something did happen.

Only reason I used them was because I got sick of looking for some wood etc that was big enough.

I didnt go under it when it was like that, I unbolted all the engine mounts from the top before jacking it up on bricks :thumleft:

the turbo kit was a Greddy TD05 kit and the engine is a Rev2 with metal HG, uprated LSD (GTSChris did the clutch change and said it was definatly not stock, possibly OS Giken as it had a OSGiken clutch / flywheel combo installed?) Fidanza Flywheel, Clutchmasters FX300 clutch.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”