TOYOTA SPONSORS 2011 MR2 CHAMPIONSHIP - Press Release

Posts about trackdays and motorsport.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Rogue

TOYOTA SPONSORS 2011 MR2 CHAMPIONSHIP - Press Release

Post by Rogue »

TOYOTA SPONSORS 2011 MR2 CHAMPIONSHIP

Offering some of the closest track action in motor sport and already guaranteed full grids at every meeting this year, the MR2 Championship is living proof of the popularity of exciting, no-frills racing. Toyota is pleased to support this unique national series for its mighty mid-engined MR2 as title sponsor for 2011.

Run by the 750 Motor Club, the championship features classes for all three generations of MR2 and continues to attract capacity fields. Such is the response this year, qualifying heats are anticipated in order to accommodate the number of drivers signing up to take part.

Toyota’s sponsorship of the series extends its support for UK motor sport, alongside its recently-announced backing for the Toyota Sprint Series and its support helping privateers with Avensis race cars to teams competing in the 2011 Dunlop MSA British Touring Car Championship.

Formula official Patrick Mortell said: “"I'm delighted that Toyota have chosen to support the MR2 Championship. We’re proud to offer a great racing opportunity at a sensible cost, a package that’s attracting exceptional support from teams and drivers. Race crowds across the country can look forward to packed grids and hard-fought racing throughout the season.”

750 Motor Club Chairman Viv Ayres commented; “The decision of Toyota to become involved in grass roots motorsport is very exciting, and the 750 Motor Club is particularly proud to be associated with the world's largest motor manufacturer, we will work to make this a success for all.”

The Toyota MR2 Championship comprises three classes, for each generation of MR2/MR2 Roadster, running standard engines and transmissions. Not counting any qualifying heats, the series will be fought out over 13 races held across seven meetings.

Toyota MR2 Championship 2011 calendar

Date Circuit
17 April Brands Hatch
22 May Snetterton
12 June Mallory Park
3 July Donington
28 August Silverstone
25 September Pembrey
9 October Donington
ENDS

This and further Toyota information and pictures can be downloaded from the Toyota media website on: http://www.toyotagb-press.co.uk or through http://www.newspress.co.uk
toxo
IMOC Committee

Re: TOYOTA SPONSORS 2011 MR2 CHAMPIONSHIP - Press Release

Post by toxo »

That's rather cool :thumleft:
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
Jaspa
IMOC Moderator

Post by Jaspa »

Already added the Snetterton visit to my calendar :thumleft:

Stuart
I asked God for a bike, but I know God doesn't work that way. So I stole a bike and asked for forgiveness.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

is it just the fact that having the toyota name associated with the championship will be a good thing or is there some extra benefit they can bring to the championship?
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Quigonjay wrote:is it just the fact that having the toyota name associated with the championship will be a good thing or is there some extra benefit they can bring to the championship?

Title sponsorship of a national championship doesn't come for free. :thumleft:
Hotbadger

Post by Hotbadger »

Well done Patrick (and LuckyP ?) for making this happen.

I am buzzing for the first race already :)
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

See you there, after much faffing around I think I am going to get to Brands, at least I hope so!

Oooh it's on the official Toyota corporate site and everything!
Reechard

Post by Reechard »

Im going to have to get along to some of these as I plan on entering next year.
Cant afford it this time around :(
MaxxUK

Post by MaxxUK »

Great news for the Championship!

Maxx
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

First race at Brands we've got around 10 MK1s, 4 MK3s and around 43 MK2s! It's going to be epic racing.
Quigonjay

Post by Quigonjay »

tonigmr2 wrote:First race at Brands we've got around 10 MK1s, 4 MK3s and around 43 MK2s! It's going to be epic racing.

57 cars all in the same race? :shock:
Rogue

Post by Rogue »

Grid capacity at Brands Hatch is 32 cars, so we'll be running a system of heats and finals. It does mean that Sunday will be an MR2-fest though - 2 x qualifying and 4 x races makes for a lot of track action.

MR2 Racing has gone ballistic this year!

Return to “Motorsport and Trackdays”