Waxoyl black or clear?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

S A Watt

Waxoyl black or clear?

Post by S A Watt »

Im getting my mk2 ready for the waxoyl treatment for next weekend.

I do this myself with the compressor and the shultz gun on other cars but always use the clear waxoyl.

My mate said i should use the black but i just thought that you would get messy overspray on things like the engine bay or walls etc. This is not so bad in clear but it would look bad in black no?

I asked what his thoughts was on doing this and he replied to hide any rust #-o

Has anyone used the black on the 2s and if so how did it come out. Im swaying to the clear as normal but would be interested to know opinions

Shane
rsand85

Re: Waxoyl black or clear?

Post by rsand85 »

i used the black on mine had the petrol tank of at the time so did it to and the whole tunnel all the hubs and suspension components and cradles messy tho whenever you go to do anything on the car then in the future end up in a black mess if i could do it again would go clear!!
RST

Re: Waxoyl black or clear?

Post by RST »

Shane I tend to use a mix of things. I use underseal WITH waxoyl for the main underside -rollered on then use a brush to get it into knooks and crannies then coat everything else and into any holes with straight waxoyl. I tend to stick to the black stuff for exterior and clear stuff for anything interior but doesn't really make much difference. I would avoid straight underseal but the stuff pre-mixed with waxoyl is OK to use.

From memory I've always cleaned up waxoyl with oil based thinners like turps. Still gets absolutely everywhere though.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”