clutch

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

*drew*

clutch

Post by *drew* »

Hi clutch has gone on new mr2. If i remember correct they are a hydraulic clutch. If so any1 now good place in leeds. There is no pressure in clutch and wont go into gear but will when engines is of any help would be good
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Re: clutch

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Can't help re the garage but are you sure it's the clutch itself rather than the slave or master cylinders? :-k
SuperRedMR2

Post by SuperRedMR2 »

Its not too difficult to do it yourself mate.

I'm doing mine tomorrow after it blew up 30 miles from home with no breakdown cover :(

£75.00 from Camskill and you'll need about 7-8hrs if you want to take your time.

Garage will probably charge around £350-400
dopiaza

Post by dopiaza »

Have you checked the clutch fluid level? Sounds like either no fluid, master/slave cylinder failure or maybe just needs bleeding, all of which are substantially cheaper and easier than replacing the clutch.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

SuperRedMR2 wrote:Its not too difficult to do it yourself mate.

I'm doing mine tomorrow after it blew up 30 miles from home with no breakdown cover :(

£75.00 from Camskill and you'll need about 7-8hrs if you want to take your time.

Garage will probably charge around £350-400

Thats expensive, I was charged £200 all in when I last had the clutch replaced on the MR2.

Are right, it does take about a day to fit yourself on the driveway, depending on your expertise, light and facilities.

As Limeymk1 says, I'd check the clutch fluid level and around the master cylinder etc for leakage first.
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

Sounds like a leak of fluid from somewhere. Master or slave cylinder seal or a split pipe/hose. Deffinitely check the fluid level (in the froot) and have a look for leaks around the slave (on the front of the gearbox near the starter). I've had a slave seal fail, quite easy to change, bleeding probably takes the longest. I'd say an hour of labour at a garage if you get a slave off eBay. Shouldn't cost more than £100 all in. Obviously a lot less if you do it yourself.
*drew*

Post by *drew* »

Yeah it was the master cylindar was leaking fluild got it all fixed and fitted for £60. Cheers for all the help

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”