Need help with wheel size and offsets

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

karldavies

Need help with wheel size and offsets

Post by karldavies »

I'm considering buying a set of 16" alloys but also looking to get some wheel arch extensions for my rev3 tubby.

Obviously the exisiting wheel arch lip will need cutting.

What I have no clue about is what offsets I need. Also i see alloys for sale that are 'staggered'. I'm not too sure what that means either.

If i went for some wheel arch extensions what would the optimum 16" wheel sizes be?

Thanks in advance
SFLee

Re: Need help with wheel size and offsets

Post by SFLee »

staggered mean front and back is different width

oh and if you sticking with 16 you may have limited size of wheel anyway

most 16 is not very wide

17 can be not seen any 16

even you get the wide wheel you cannot found tire size

:mrgreen:
craig

Post by craig »

If you want some wide wheels, with extended arches with low offsets, you're more likely to be looking at 17"s.

Check out the drift series wheels from Rota:

http://rarerims.co.uk/default.asp

Wide wheels/low offsets 17" upwards.

Hope that helps.

Staggered wheels means the front width is different to the back, ie 9x17 rear and 8x17 front etc.
karldavies

Post by karldavies »

Cheers for the replies lads.

One thing though, I am using the car as a track car and have heard 16" wheels are the optimum size.

Whats about a 16" wheel with a 245 tyre on the back plus a spacer?

Would that work?

Cheers
Marf

Post by Marf »

karldavies wrote:

Whats about a 16" wheel with a 245 tyre on the back plus a spacer?

Depends on width and offset.

Personally if its a track car I'd be inclined to look for 17s. Track surfaces are going to be smoother than the road so fitting lower profile tyres is not an issue, and there are a wider range of tyres available for 17" wheels.
anastasios

Post by anastasios »

i tried 17" on track with kumho street tires 205 front 235 back but i was having huge understeer,an integra with 15" semislicks was constantly mocking me, although his car was looking allover the place because of his soft suspension.
Since then im using 15" semislicks(cheap compared to 17") and im still looking for that integra every trackday/race i go(its been 2 years since but ill find him :evil: )

youll be suprised at how stiff walls are in a 15" semislick and i dont think you need more than a 225 on a track.
thats my opinion ofc and hope i helped
karldavies

Post by karldavies »

LOL anastasios !

Well i currently have 205 50 15 and 225 50 15 and running R888 semi slick tyres. I've been messing around with the tyre pressures and got them much higher than i started with. I had major tyre wall flex before but that seems to have been sorted now.

I see toyo now do an r888 tyre as a 235 50 15

The only thing with 15's is that the profiles are very high. You can't get lower than a 50. Like Marf said 17's come in at a much lower profiel

I mentioned the wheel arch extensions as I wanted to improve grip on the rear. So thought a bigger wheel/wider tyre would help.

My rears are gone now so I think i'll just try the 235's on 15's and see how they go.

Cheers

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”