[Mk2] [Turbo] door speakers?

Posts about stereos, speakers, sat nav etc and posts about car alarms or car security.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

timmomr2

[Mk2] [Turbo] door speakers?

Post by timmomr2 »

i want a good set of front door speakers but it has to fir in the standard location without having to modify anything. dose anyone have any suggesgions of what will fit or atleast what size i need to buy. my car never had any speakers in when i bought it so i have nothing to go off.

cheers timmo
Shmed

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] door speakers?

Post by Shmed »

I stuck some 6" Vibe Black Air components in mine, did need to make a spacer ring and slightly modify the original tweeter holes. I believe the standard size speaker hole in the front is 5". Sorry I don't have any speakers in mind that fit directly.
Danderton

Post by Danderton »

Shmed, i'm in the process of trying to mount my new Black Air 6 speakers in the front.

Have made 1 set of MDF spacers, but just too big. Back to the drawing board.

Do you have any tips?

Also the tweeter is massively bigger than the standard hole. Do you have any pics/info on how you mounted yours, and where did you mount the crossovers??

Any advice warmly welcomed as im hoping to spend the whole day tomorrow getting it all hooked up!

Thanks
Dan
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Hi Dan,

The MDF I used for the spacer rings was about 9 or 10mm thick. I don't have the dimensions, but if you draw round the template in the box, then draw a circle about 8mm inside the outer circle, that should do it for the spacer.

There are three screws behind the door card that hold the OEM speaker in, which you should screw the spacer to. One of the four screws that hold the speaker in place will also go through one of the three holes (if that makes sense). You'll also need to drill through the door where the other three speaker retaining screws go.

I didn't bother with the grills, but did have to trim some of the back of the door card to allow it to fit flush.

If you pop the grill out of the tweeter houses it'll leave a hole that as you say is way too small for the tweeters. I have a hole cutter which I ran through the tweeter housing (from the back) and then a bit of careful filing, and eventually, the tweeter, with the flush mount backing push into the hole. It is such a tight fit, that I dodn't bother attaching them from behind.

The crossovers are in the frunk, right next to the amp. I read somewhere that you should put crossovers as close to the amp as possible.

I didn't take any pictures while I was doing it, but I'll get you a shot of the tweeters fitted tomorrow.

Sorry if some of that doesn't make sense in black and white - I know what I'm trying to say, but it's hard to get across. :whistle:
Shmed

Post by Shmed »

Just quickly knocked this up to try and illustrate what I am saying (it is purely from memory and is not to scale)

The black x's hold the spacer to the door, the red x's hold the speaker to the ring (rememeber to drill through the ring and the door before screwing them in), and the green x holds the speaker to the spacer, and then carries on into the OEM hole to hold the spacer to the door.

Danderton

Post by Danderton »

Thanks.

I have now got the jist of the spacer rings. I was using 18mm deep MDF, and I was also making them a bit to wide around the speaker.

I have now made some thinner MDF and have got one fitted in the drivers side. Like you say I had to cut back some of the shroud on the door panel.

There are some alpine tweaters in mine, so I think I'm going to leave these in for now. As much as i really want to put the Vibe tweaters in.

My only outstanding issue is the mounting of these pretty large crossovers. I haven't got round to my amp install yet, my plan was to run these off the head unit and see how it sounds.

I do have a 2 channel Pioneer amp ready, but thought I would see if I could get away with not having to pull apart the door wiring to get from the frunk into the door.

Plus I'm a bit concerned as to how to secure an MDF mount in the Frunk. Everyone else just seems to lay it on the spare wheel? But what happens if you brake sharply? Surely the weight of the amp will send to board fly forward with the possibility of ripping off the Live connection and it shorting out on the chassis.

I cannot see any space in the door that I can mount the crossovers, and am considering just screwing them through the door card and having them showing. However I think this will look messy and crap.

Any suggestions welcome. Or if anyone in Bedfordshire wants to pop round to help out :wink:

Dan
madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Shmed if you look in the installation manual that came with your Vibe speakers it states the crossovers should be as close to the speakers as possible hence mine are on the door cards
(if they are further away it can change the frequencies)
I shaped the spacers and use the 3 original mounting points
then drill 4 holes to fit the speaker to the mdf (after sound deadening)
I have always put a metal strip from a strut brace bolt to the amp board held by a bolt
To mount the tweeters I just bolt them to the original toyota mounting brackets.
HTH
davidf1

door speakers

Post by davidf1 »

I have a mr2 mk2 n reg,late 1995 model,I want to change the speakers in the door for kenwoods,I know the speakers are 5 1/4" woofers,what are available to me without using spacers.
davidf1

door speaker spacers

Post by davidf1 »

or if i have to use spacers,what thickness of spacer,for instance the kenwood kfc-s703p speakers.

Return to “ICE and Security”