Tonight My PS3 Packed Up (Yellow light of DEATH!!!!!)

Is the PS3 better than a C64, all in here

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Munnsy

Tonight My PS3 Packed Up (Yellow light of DEATH!!!!!)

Post by Munnsy »

Well just playing cod mw2 and it just shut down, hadnt been on it 5 mins at the most :twisted:
Then switched it on and yep, i all of a sudden became a victim of the very common fault, where im met by the yellow light :twisted: ,

Anyhow i bought the ps3 back in 2007, so unfortunately warrenty was out the window, i did a bit of research and decided rather than pay sony silly money to repair, i would give it a go myself, following the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr1zyAGwnuU&feature=fvw

Theres 2 parts and this is the second, my playstation is currently in a million pieces all layed out nice and neatly, tomorrow im going to purchase a heat gun, as well as the paste needed from either currys or maplins etc.

NOT a happy bunny as i love the ps3 and am on it most nights with my new rockerx chair that i got for xmas (sad fecker i know lol)

I will however keep you all updated to how i get on and hopefully cure the problem.

If anyone knows anything about the actual problem, cause etc i would be interested to know as im not entirely sure what im tryiong to repair (think its solder joints are dry and poss broken)

Keep your fingers crossed for me eh :thumleft:

dave
mr2daz

Re: Tonight My PS3 Packed Up (Yellow light of DEATH!!!!!)

Post by mr2daz »

Good luck! I don't quite see the reason for heating up the CPU, GPU and the board though, I mean he heats it up then lets it cool down anyway so I don't quite understand what that is supposed to do. When I've build a pc and put thermal compound on I've never had to heat anything up first, the point of the thermal compound is just to create a better heat conduction between the CPU and heatsink; to fill in all the gaps that may otherwise be filled with air. So long as you have a smooth layer and don't get it on anything else, especially if you use a metal based paste, I don't see why you would need to cook anything first. Get some IPA (isopropyl alcohol) for cleaning with, you should be able to get it in the chemist, failing that try maplins or if you'd rather not pay for it and know a local printer that uses it and go bum some off them; some use gallons of the stuff. :thumleft:
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

i think the reason for heating all the components up (what ive read)
is something to do with the joints around that particular area. The whole ps3 thing was on watchdog and im sure it was something to do with this :-k

Thanks for advice though bud, much appreciated :thumleft:
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

You should get an Xbox 360. Now it's been shown that the PS3 isnt a picture of reliability at least the 360 is free/cheap to fix :thumleft:
SamUK

Post by SamUK »

Its weird, theres more posts about PS3 failures these days.

Maybe thats just because us 360 owners are used to it lol.

Having said that. Mines being going strong for a couple of years now without a flicker.
Rev 3 GTS
Munnsy

Post by Munnsy »

lol,
360 had there problems too!!!!

Anyhow, got on mine today and hour later totally fixed, not bad for 20 quid :mrgreen: , 15 of that was only due to me not having a heat gun lol

So back online now :mrgreen: :thumleft:

ps3 rules :twisted: :twisted: :thumleft:

sorry had to say that O:)
Andy Jones

Post by Andy Jones »

The YLOD is the same reason behind the RROD on the 360 in chips coming away from the board due to temps. So following one of the guides splattered all over the net should fix it but it might be something you have to carry on doing again and again when it re-occurs.

One mate doesn't bother screwing his 360 back together anymore and has to "fix" it usually once a week now as he can't be ar$ed doing it "properly" but i saw him do the quick fix a few weeks ago and it took about 5 mins and the 360 was working again and we were back on MW2 :)

He shoves a piece of card board between the fans and the CPU and it doesn't take very long for the fans to sound like the machine is going to get lift off to the point it gets so hot the soulder starts to melt then he applies a small amount of pressure on the CPU then instantly starts to cool the soulder down slowly with a small hand held fan :)
Engine rebuilt by: Steve Horrocks & Andy Jones
Engine mapped by: Ryan@2bartuning (330 bhp & 325 lbft @ 1.4 bar)
Current Status: F****D :(
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Munnsy wrote:i think the reason for heating all the components up (what ive read)
is something to do with the joints around that particular area. The whole ps3 thing was on watchdog and im sure it was something to do with this :-k

Thanks for advice though bud, much appreciated :thumleft:

I think a possible explanation is the use of lead free solder, so it is more susceptible to vibration damage as obviously there is less flexibility in the solder compared to the old leaded days.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
Martian_333

Post by Martian_333 »

This is true, your ps3 is trying to tell you that it really wants to be a xbox360 and is offering you its space so you can now go out and buy one!

ps3 :lol: :wink:

Return to “Games Consoles”