exhaust popping loads when i let off accelerator?

The last incarnation of our beloved mr2..Discussion and technical advice for the ZZW30 MR2 Roadster (MR-S), & MR2 Spyder. 1ZZ-FE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

kingmodest

exhaust popping loads when i let off accelerator?

Post by kingmodest »

its done it a little ever since i put on the blue flame exhaust! but its bloody terrible now i fitted che manifold. evertime i let of pop, pop, pop pop! lol running standard air box in it now after loads of warnings about crappy filters! thanks guys!
Steve-O 2007

Re: exhaust popping loads when i let off accelerator?

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

This is usually normal. There was a mini where I worked that had a full ss exhaust and ss manifold and it popped all the time and even on low revs :thumleft:

Are you complaining about it or do you like it?
DannyN

Post by DannyN »

Have you got a leak between the manifold and the cat ?
aw11rally

Post by aw11rally »

how did you manage that you lucky blighter. I want one!
kingmodest

Post by kingmodest »

complaining a little i suppose! its quite annoying i find. it makes me feel theres something wrong with it! lol and every so often ill get a massive pop! if its quiet and i dont have my music on it can make me jump! lol dont know if theres a leak anywhere on it asthe heat shield is in the way! which is a shame as putting a stainless in there you want to see it! and its coverd up by the heat shield! which bloody rattles at 3000 rpm since putting che on! arrrghh i cant win! lol #-o
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

Take the heatshield off, you don't need it. Also most people enjoy the pops and bangs, but if you really don't want them then the only way to get rid of them is to change to something more restrictive, or even just put the stock manifold back on.
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

I'm changing my manifold soon so just to confirm.... "You do not need the heat shield!?"

Ok.
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

I never ran with mine on pre-turbo and it never caused any issues at all, and there's about 50 other people I personally know who have done the exact same thing. Looks pretty, doesn't really do a lot.
kingmodest

Post by kingmodest »

ekona wrote:I never ran with mine on pre-turbo and it never caused any issues at all, and there's about 50 other people I personally know who have done the exact same thing. Looks pretty, doesn't really do a lot.
So I can run it without the heat shield? Really! Well that's coming off then! Cheers ekona I value/trust your opinion and you've always helped me out recently! Or should I say steered me in the right direction. ;-) ber dum tish! (sorry about that pun) I just hope it won't super heat all the wires in the engine bay causing probs! Cos even with the heat shield on the mk 3's still get hot! If you run it so it's warmed up and pop the lid and hang your head over to inspect stuff it's rather warm and that with the heat shield there! Lol well if it won't cause any probs to remove it then that's what I'll do! Cheers again mate!
excalibur1814

Nice

Post by excalibur1814 »

Same here. Without it, the heat will probably disperse faster. I hope.

Yeah, the heat issue is something I noticed the first day after parking.. Damn hot under the hood and rear ish bumper compared to the turbo (But then again, that has a big boot and more metal in the way)

Wooo less weight :D
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

There's mk3 tubbies out there with no heatshields round the turbo/manifold and they get an awful lot hotter with no issues at all ;)
kingmodest

Post by kingmodest »

Took heatshield off and the rattle dissapered for 5 mins stoped at a shop, and when I fired it up again it's back! Always at 3000rpm! :-( might be the cat or one of the shields round the cat! It only rattles when the car is in motion tho! Rev it to 3000 when stood and no rattle sound! Jesus, I wonder how much for a new cat then! :-(
Ekona

Post by Ekona »

It'll be the heatshield on the cat. Either tack weld it back together, or drop a couple of bolts through it, or (yup, you can see this coming) rip the bu88er off.

Return to “MR2 MK3 2000-2007”