Dale on the BBC

Seen another MR2 when you were out and about? Find out if it was another IMOCer here.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Neil_turbo

Dale on the BBC

Post by Neil_turbo »

:thumleft:

Car looked well :)

Quite randomly was recording it for the red dwarf feature for while i was at work!
Neil_turbo

Re: Dale on the BBC

Post by Neil_turbo »

just read the other thread - :pale:

good luck on the rebuild.
christiantimms

Post by christiantimms »

Good work Dale! Car looked good in the feature - shame about the aftermath!
JJ

Post by JJ »

Beat me to it....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/hi/techn ... 987689.stm

This mornings news on the BBC !! Dale V is now a hollywood A lister....Probably posted all day long.

In that report, these all got a plug !!

Wizards of NOS
York Dragway
IMOC
Bridgestone

:mrgreen:

You get paid for that Dale ?!! :-$
Last edited by JJ on Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:30 am, edited 4 times in total.
|| S256SX Airwerks Powered MR2 Turbo || V10 BMW M5 ||
Neil_turbo

Post by Neil_turbo »

sorry JJ/Dale, but there is only going to be one Lister on the BBC today :oldtongue: :oldtongue: :oldtongue: :clown: :clown: :clown:
matt*79

Post by matt*79 »

It was nice to see a MR2 on the news shame they described NOS as producing an extra 150bhp.........WTF............here come the chavs
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

Lol im everywhere it seems . . It was a good day out, the bbc guys enjoyed it too, and the car felt awesome . .
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Woke me up at 6.50am or so this morning, good job. :thumleft:
Though I did want to hit Edmund King round the head, tarring all modifiers as risky drivers. :evil:
Mr2_NA

Post by Mr2_NA »

Heard about this too, wondered if you'd be on here :thumleft: Like the color scheme of your wheels.

I wish I could buy a cheap car and put 150 nos in it.

Why not ban modified cars for say under 22s... or under 25s...

Or even better, restrict them to 55mph until they are 22. Its not just here, America is just as bad.
michael

Post by michael »

I've locked the other 2 threads about this in the hope that people will concentrate their posts in one place - this thread was first so it won the battle :)

A good job the BBC didn't get wind of the engine being slightly sick now, they would have loved that.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

sorry, i just got excited and posted my thread up asap!
my bad!

funny as hell tho!
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

Seeing as the other is locked....

I wrote:
What a f**king idiot that AA bloke is.

Ok, so someone mods their car... gets an extra 200bhp. Is that really any different to just buying a car with an extra 200bhp to what you're used to?

Do these people not think about what they're saying?

Fact is, the AA are getting less call outs because people are more inclined to look after their own car meaning the calibre of car on the road is being higher maintained between modifiers and new cars, and the AA are losing out because there are less sh!t buckets on the road to breakdown.
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

Twenty-five-year-old car-owner Dale-V wants his wheels to say something about him and has so far spent about £16,000 on it.

SIXTEEN THOUSAND!! :shock:

There is basically a protection plan in place. It's just not heavily enforced.
By law you HAVE to tell your insurance company about ANY modification you have made to the manufacturers spec. When you do tell them about it, they will usually judge your ability to handle it and either price you out of it, or at the least bump up your premium.
For instance, when I got my tubby, the first few questions were "how long have you had the vehicle" & have you previously owned anything like it.
As it was new and I hadnt, I paid through the nose for insurance.
What we need is for police to have the ability to cross check cars with insurance certificates and prosecute people for non disclosure.

Every time I copper see's some one in an obviously modded car driving like a plank they should be allowed to have the car inspected and cross check it with the insurance. It would put kids off having a sly N20 kit fitted and not declaring it knowing they could get in serious trouble.
[/u][/b]
chron

Post by chron »

noticed this today too, IMOC got a good plug :D
Tiny

Post by Tiny »

What a fecking willy!

lovely dose of BBC impartiality there. that was almost verging on Daily Mail level of intelligent journalism :roll:
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Ive not seen this yet but i just heard Dale talking on Radio One !!! lol .......nice to see you on Sunday Dale btw :thumleft:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
Scott Barton
IMOC Committee

Post by Scott Barton »

Good stuff Dale! Now we all know what you look like as well! :lol:

:oldtongue:
IMOC - winners of JAE best overall club stand 2010, 2013, 2014 & 2017!
1994 GT-S T-Bar 397bhp with NOS *sold*
2016 Porsche Cayman 981GTS 347bhp Flat Six
KrisMoyse

Post by KrisMoyse »

Reports like this BBC one annoy me.

As mentioned above you can buy god knows how many cars nowerdays with more than modded tubby horsepower but no one is moaning at the manufacturers for producing them in the first place, not to mention, and I'm sure many of you will agree that there are some real originally modded cars out there, someone's imagination put to practice on their car, the governing bodies should be encouraging that originality and creativity!

Young people nowerdays are learning how cars work, how to modify them, and how to repair them. These are the engineers of the future!

For fook sake, Citreon went to several cruises when they designed the C2 to get young modifiers tips and opinions!!!

Look at new cars nowerdays, the only difference is they ALREADY come with bodykits, turbos, alloys, big brakes etc. All we do is add what 21st century manufacturers put on the standard car!

It's ridiculous, this nannied state! ](*,)
matt_mr2t

Post by matt_mr2t »

The only thing the AA are saying is that kids are modding cars to make them too fast for their driving ability.

IMO, they may well have a point.

Cars with more power than tubbies these days are expensive and uninsurable for kids in general.

How ever, any kid can go out, buy a rusty old mk1 MR2 for a couple of hundred quid, strap a 500bhp nos kit to it and wipe out a small town in the aftermath.

How many kids do you see driving around in cars with 200+ bhp STANDARD?

In my 12 years of driving I've known one. My mate got a Calibra Turbo for his first car aged 18. The only reason he could do that was he and his dad had traders insurance.
I got quoted in excess of £4k for a 2.0 NA Calibra when I was 18 to insure :shock:
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

matt_mr2t wrote:How ever, any kid can go out, buy a rusty old mk1 MR2 for a couple of hundred quid, strap a 500bhp nos kit to it and wipe out a small town in the aftermath.

:lol: If they don't set that kit up properly they'll be more likely to disintegrate their piston crowns and annihilate the engine. It's not as simple as just plug and go Matt. [-X

This is just another bandwagon for the safety muppets to jump on. ](*,)

Return to “Spotted”