Woodsport longer 5th gear

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

tomsky

Woodsport longer 5th gear

Post by tomsky »

Maybe being dumb but is the longer 5th gear mod on the Woodsport site available for mk1's and if so has anyone had it done? Would be great to have the balance of original gearing but slightly more relaxed motorway cruising from a longer 5th as its the only thing that nags me about the 2 these days.
Mk1Chris

Re: Woodsport longer 5th gear

Post by Mk1Chris »

AFAIK its only a mod for the mk2, but who knows what crazy other toyota parts swaps might be available if you look hard enough.
Smallport 4AGTE
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Yes our 5th gear extension is just for mk2 NA gearboxes, however if you do enough research im betting there is a longer 5th found in other C series transmissions that you could swap into the mk1 box.

I will look into it for you, if i find anything i will report back.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

ok that didn't take long, the mk1 early C50 and later C52 gearboxes have a 0.815 fifth, C51 and C53 gearboxes have a 0.725 fifth, probably from a corolla, i haven't checked that yet.

So there you go, find a C51 or C53, take out its fifth gear set and swap it into your mk1, that will give it longer legs in fifth (and increase top speed)

:thumleft:
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Ok all wrapped up in 20 minutes, if you go to toyota and order the following gears...

33428-12050 -5th driven
33036-12051 -5th gear

They are the extended 0.725:1 gear set that will fit a mk1 gearbox.The only thing that is unknown is wether the synchro on fifth is compatible between the two but im betting it will be, at least for the later C52 box anyway.

Job sorted.
tomsky

Post by tomsky »

Paul, thanks for the quick investigation gives me something to think about for the future as think set up like that would give good flexibility and presumably also address the 5th gear pop out stuff at the same time. Keep us posted if at any stage you carry one out as would be interested to know the results though probably would need the help of you guys if did it myself as useless with a spanner. Thanks again Tom
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

No problem,to be honest this would take very little time to do and can be done with the gearbox still in the car.
Mav122

Post by Mav122 »

In my Toyota Manual I seem to remember reading that in 5th at a constant speed of 70mph it quotes 55MPG!!! Why would you wanna change that :mrgreen:. go much above that though and it drops significantly. I also doubt it is quiet 55mpg but I should think it's in high 40's, I always got really good motorway mileage out of my 2 :thumleft:. Also I've heard of this fifth gear pop out a lot but never ever come across anyone experiencing it.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Also I've heard of this fifth gear pop out a lot but never ever come across anyone experiencing it.

Hi, my name's paul, i've seen dozens of pop out 5th's on mk1's, now you have. :D
Mav122

Post by Mav122 »

8-[ least I know it's not some rumour now. :mrgreen:.
Mav122

Post by Mav122 »

Hopefully that 4agze I got off of your via dom doesn't have 5th gear pop out lol. I'm installing the E51 box now I have the driveshafts etc and dumping the C52 :mrgreen:. Dead pleased with that engine by the way, is all painted and polished up now as well... yeah i know tart lol.
Lewis Jay

Post by Lewis Jay »

PW@Woodsport wrote:
Also I've heard of this fifth gear pop out a lot but never ever come across anyone experiencing it.

Hi, my name's paul, i've seen dozens of pop out 5th's on mk1's, now you have. :D

FPMSL :clap:
System-G

Post by System-G »

Lewis Jay wrote:
PW@Woodsport wrote:

FPMSL :clap:

LOL!

I've also experienced 5th gear & 4th gear pop-out on one of them 8-[
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Mav122

Post by Mav122 »

Eh easy. Was only saying I've never come across it, and I know of a few other people never experiencing it. I've run my C52 box with half the oil it's meant to have in it for three months now on account it has a crack in where the back mount ripped out of it while driving (Was saving up for E51 driveshafts). That box was still going strong and not popping out, little play in all gears though now :lol: but no popping out of gear, clutch fried though now so E51 time :thumleft:.
chiron

Post by chiron »

Paul,

Would you be interested in trying this conversion on a C52 box?
I think a few people would be very interested in a longer 5th gear conversion kit.
My SC stays in 5th most of the time 'cos its so high geared!
I had been looking at C51-57 boxes from Toyota Carinas which have the longer 5th gear (in FWD case) but most scrap Carinas have done 150,000+ miles but I always thought you had to change one of the shafts as the gear was machined as part of it.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Sure,i will take it on no problem, drop me a pm or an email [email protected] if you would like me to do this.It's never been done before to my knowledge and i've done all of the research on this very thread so i'd like to be the first to actually do it.
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

Hi all. I rang Toyota today to check prices for these parts and the part numbers have changed slightly. I also got prices. I know they will go up over time so only correct as of now, but here is what I got from the parts department.

33428-12110 - 5th driven £88.19 plus VAT
33036-12170 - 5th gear £115.00 plus VAT
33214-12030 - Selector Fork £26.93 plus VAT (incase needed)

So a total of £270.39

So with a second hand gearbox at about £125 (what I was quoted recently) and not knowing how much longer that will last (mine is popping out now), and with the increased fuel economy of the higher ratio, it should pay for itself fairly quickly, although I can't be ar$ed to work out how long while writing this post.

I'm going to see if I can get the parts elsewhere cheaper anyway, but I doubt it. Oh, and they can be in stock in only a matter of a couple of days.
Last edited by Clarky_X on Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tiamat
IMOC Moderator

Post by Tiamat »

Clarky you can get a second hand gearbox for much less than £125.

Hell I have a spare one!
I am going to live forever, or die trying!
Clarky_X

Post by Clarky_X »

But my car is a daily driver so I spend a lot of time cruising on dual carriageway, so I really want the longer fifth, just working out if I can get the parts cheaper than £270.

I usually contact TCB and Jinxy for parts. It was TCB price. Rogue actually had one for £25 some months back when I first enquired. I was actually asking TCB for prices for the above gear parts, but they didn't have so Trevor gave me a price for a box instead. It might have been for a recon one, can't remember.
PW@Woodsport

Post by PW@Woodsport »

Please bear in mind folks that this mod is not proven yet, it is only based on my research. I am 90% sure it will work but not totally sure if the 5th gear synchro assembly from the Mk1 box will work with these gears, if not then more parts from the C51/53 box are going to be needed.

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”