how quick?

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

paulh

how quick?

Post by paulh »

Hi guys, just been wondering how fast a mk1b will go, i know people say over 120mph, but does anyone know exactly or quick have you driven yours? not that i'll ever push mine tht hard lol
cheers paul. :thumleft:
BIGBOBO

Re: how quick?

Post by BIGBOBO »

Think the top speed is 200kmh.

Got mine to 170kmh without even noticing it so I guess 200 is possible.
System-G

Post by System-G »

I manage a regular indicated 110mph in 4th before braking for the Rocket complex at Anglesey circuit :thumleft:

I've also managed an indicated 120mph turn into Eau Rouge at Spa in Belgium using 4th :thumleft:

However, I know the speedo's over read.
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
The TVIS Kid

Post by The TVIS Kid »

In the manual it says the top speed in 4th is 121mph, 5th gear is an overdrive gear . Top speed in 5th is stated as 120mph.
Jim-SR

Post by Jim-SR »

higest indicated ive ever had for 127mph on a stock engine. impossible to know how much the speedo overread by though, not even worth speculating. the only way youll get an accurate speed indication is with GPS
mr2mk1chick

Post by mr2mk1chick »

It will be different per car due to engine wear/tiredness, and performance.

You also you need a heck of a lot of road to get up to that speed :shock:
Also can't do this on a public highway.

I rekon most mk1s over-read on the speedo by between 5-10%
We will test our mk1a with the sat nav at Spa if we get the car ready in time - blanchement is a fast part for us to try maybe (i'm not brave enough to hammer it into eau rouge at top speed)

Our SC was much quicker, and the needle went past the KPH dial range LOL :lol:
(most big puley sc's go past the speedo range :thumleft: )
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Jim-SR wrote:higest indicated ive ever had for 127mph on a stock engine. impossible to know how much the speedo overread by though, not even worth speculating. the only way youll get an accurate speed indication is with GPS

I've seen an indicated 130mph when I was in a severe rush to catch a plane following my dad's demise, but I would just say that top speed is per manufacturer's specs, ie 121mph. Speedo's always over-read.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
dopiaza

Post by dopiaza »

Back in 1998 my first Mk1 (NA) did 126.5 mph slightly downhill on the M62 towards Manchester. Verified by laser... Luckily this was in the days when the police were still allowed some independent thought so I was let off with a few words of wisdom. Well, it was 3am, dry, lit motorway, not another car in sight. My excuse - 'I wanted to see how fast it would go'. His reply 'Well, now you know'.

Can't imagine that happening these days.
WeirdNeville

Post by WeirdNeville »

A GPS Verified 124 Mph with the lights up.
It rose to 126 when I dropped the lights.

All on a closed, private road with adequate emergency services personnel present, obviously. [-X :thumleft:
crazybrightman

Post by crazybrightman »

hit 120mph at donny so probably a realistic 110-115mph it was pretty flat once in 4th gear tbh they really strugle from a lack of power at xxx speeds.
i must add that was with a few mods though.
4agte on the way
pantera2075

Post by pantera2075 »

So what 1/4 mile times have been seen?

Online calculator says that this year I should be seeing low 14's at around 100mph
Last year's best was 18.9 at 70ish mph #-o

Looks like i'll be getting most improved at Avon Park in July.
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Ive done a 16.2 @ 85mph, you should be able to get a 16 flat on a good day. With the car fully stripped out you will get nearer 15.

Got quite consistant 16.4's when the car was stock.
pantera2075

Post by pantera2075 »

This was pretty accurate with the old a-series figures:

http://www.letstorquebhp.com/calculator.asp

I reckon this year, although going from about 65bhp up into the mid 120's, i'll be a bit heavier due to the extra metalwork in the rear subframe, and the MR2 wiring loom being at least 10 times heavier than the old one.

So i'm assuming 700kg against the old 640kg

Still gives 14.3 or thereabouts.

And i'm running 13" wheels, so my speedo will be way out....
Captain Vimes

Post by Captain Vimes »

pantera2075 wrote:So what 1/4 mile times have been seen?

Online calculator says that this year I should be seeing low 14's at around 100mph
Last year's best was 18.9 at 70ish mph #-o

Looks like i'll be getting most improved at Avon Park in July.

The SC's with big pulley's (like mine) apparantely run low 14's. Getting a n/a to 14's will take a lot of work I'd imagine - NOS?

Top speed? - my car has seen 135 on the clock at bedford - but I've hit the speed limiter (Jap spec) which is supposed to come in at around 125..? Clocks over read quite a bit :D

I don't think drag racing or top speed is what these cars do best, for me it's about the feedback through the steering wheel and the 'balance' that they have. No other car comes close (not for the money anyway).
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Captain Vimes wrote:
The SC's with big pulley's (like mine) apparantely run low 14's. Getting a n/a to 14's will take a lot of work I'd imagine - NOS?

Top speed? - my car has seen 135 on the clock at bedford - but I've hit the speed limiter (Jap spec) which is supposed to come in at around 125..? Clocks over read quite a bit :D

I don't think drag racing or top speed is what these cars do best, for me it's about the feedback through the steering wheel and the 'balance' that they have. No other car comes close (not for the money anyway).

Speed limiter comes in around 120mph, have seen this in the SE. Apexi speed/rev in the Teg cuts in the speed limiter at 199kmh.

Have seen many, many years ago an indicated 145mph on my SC conversion.

I must admit I don't see the point of drag racing, always though it was for people who can't drive. :tongue: So yes i'd agree with you corners are where it's at. :+:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

A SC with around 170-180bhp should see 14.2-14.4's looking at previous runs. You can get near these times in an N/a with NOS alone.
pantera2075

Post by pantera2075 »

I always thought drag racing to be a bit pointless too until I tried it. It's the big thing that the GTM club does, so I thought i'd give it a try. I have booked it in for a sprint in Lincolnshire in September as well though.

This was Avon Park last July - the first time it moved under it's own power in 17 years.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

pantera2075 wrote:I always thought drag racing to be a bit pointless too until I tried it. It's the big thing that the GTM club does, so I thought i'd give it a try. I have booked it in for a sprint in Lincolnshire in September as well though.

This was Avon Park last July - the first time it moved under it's own power in 17 years.

Good stuff. I must admit I have tried it for a Banzai shoot years ago. I still thought it was boring and have been to Santa Pod a few times, but I guess it's just really not my thing, so i'll stick to trackdays and the like.
System-G

Post by System-G »

un1eash wrote:Ive done a 16.2 @ 85mph, you should be able to get a 16 flat on a good day. With the car fully stripped out you will get nearer 15.

Got quite consistant 16.4's when the car was stock.

I remember the day :thumleft:

I also got a 16.2 but @ 84mph and that was also before it was stripped and in full road guise.

Our SC managed a 14.7 @ 91mph on the same day also fully loaded in road trim, but with an oversized crank pulley and large IC.

I also have to admit, whilst it was a fun day out and quite competitive between a few of us, twisty circuits are much more fun :thumleft:
85 MK1 MR2 Track N/Ail | 99 528i SE Touring | 01 Mandarin VX220
Kooga

Post by Kooga »

Saw an indicated 115 on my virtually std n/a. Still had a tiny bit to go but I had to slow down cos the side indicators fell out!! :oops:
(on a private road. obviously.)

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”