2's failing on Exhaust noise levels

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Steve-O 2007

2's failing on Exhaust noise levels

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Was just reading on MR2oc that quite a few MR2's (and most likely other cars) are failing MOT's due to the noise of the exhaust :shock: :shock:

I thought it would have been just if it was Excessively loud untill someone posted this, a pic of the rule change -

Now Im worrying :shock: :shock:
craig

Re: 2's failing on Exhaust noise levels

Post by craig »

from ukmot.com:

Reason for rejection:

b. a silencer in such a condition, or of such a type, that the noise emitted from the vehicle is clearly unreasonably above the level expected from a similar vehicle with a silencer in average condition
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

This is going to be a pain :(

Do exhaust Bungs make any difference? I noticed a Motoria for sale with 2 Nur Spec bungs, wonder if it made it quieter?

Might have to get a silent twin exit and one of them Y pipe exhaust splitter things with that flap and motor in :mrgreen: (Off position uses the normal exhaust flick the switch on and the flap closes off the normal exhaust pipe and routes it to just a straight pipe :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Dale_V

Post by Dale_V »

I think you are worrying about nothing :?
jim-mapps

Post by jim-mapps »

Mine's very loud, don't know what type it is as it came with the car but it's very loud and it just passed it's MOT :-k
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

Will just leave it and see what happens... Who makes these stupid rules where you cant have an exhaust that sets car alarms off!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumleft:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:Will just leave it and see what happens... Who makes these stupid rules where you cant have an exhaust that sets car alarms off!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumleft:

I must admit i'd welcome a restriction on stupidly loud exhausts. :+:

Let's hope it happens soon. :tongue:
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
si2040

Post by si2040 »

sadly stupidly loud is not defined in the book... most testers are decent but many are very strict esp when they see a modded car...its cause they probably have a skoda
MR2 Night Fox
Baker

Post by Baker »

ditto lauren. :lol:

few years back the tester was going to fail my blitz nur, with cat, but decided to pass it as he said i'd probably just change back to it after the test if he passed a quiet one. its been around for a while i think but not enforced so much.
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Steve-O 2007 wrote:Will just leave it and see what happens... Who makes these stupid rules where you cant have an exhaust that sets car alarms off!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :thumleft:

Here here !! I only seem to manage to set them off in multi story car parks....i blame the owners of sensitive car alarms !!! :twisted:
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
Mike 'MR2' McHugh

Post by Mike 'MR2' McHugh »

Anyone in the Coventry area i can tell you of a good garage...if your worried about this....why fail first time when no need to fail at all !
It goes..Uhn tiss Uhn tiss Uhn tiss
ryan

Post by ryan »

The worst exhausts seem to be the ones on those big 'hells angel' type bikes, theyre soooooo loud its unbelieveable! Also the Corsa/Saxo lot with their big exhausts, theres a real pitch they hit that really annoys me when they go whizzing past your house at 1am! The only offensively loud (maybe it was the pitch?) MR2 exhaust ive come across is the nur spec, far too loud and droning, by comparison, my dep 2 was very innofensive :-k
GHOST

Post by GHOST »

I agree with Ryan on this one. My friend has Suzuki V-Twin-something or other and I can hear him coming a mile off, and thats with the standard exhaust. He starts it up in my yard to warm the engine up and I look around feeling acutely embaressed as it burbles away.

My car has been known to set car alarms off (Powerflow - already on the car - NOT my choice) but I frequently see Corsas and Saxos that make it sound quiet.
nuttasie

Post by nuttasie »

I am curious about this as the turbo was not a uk model so how can they say compared to a std model,as in the theory all the cars that came to the uk could have been fitted with after market exhaust and what we class has std could be someone who has fitted a quite exhaust.

plus it is a bit unfair if they are failing cars like ours because it does not sound like the average mondeo,then a tvr blasts past and deafens you but that is ok becuz thats what a std tvr sounds like.a bit xxxxx up if you ask me.

sie
ben_mr2

Post by ben_mr2 »

mike wotsthe name of the garage in coventry? been takin my car to the same garage for the last 3yrs and hes past it everytime with just an advisiry on a loud exhaust, but he said he wont pass it again with this exhast on :(
Baker

Post by Baker »

nuttasie wrote:I am curious about this as the turbo was not a uk model so how can they say compared to a std model,as in the theory all the cars that came to the uk could have been fitted with after market exhaust and what we class has std could be someone who has fitted a quite exhaust.

plus it is a bit unfair if they are failing cars like ours because it does not sound like the average mondeo,then a tvr blasts past and deafens you but that is ok becuz thats what a std tvr sounds like.a bit xxxxx up if you ask me.

sie

there's a Sagaris over the road from me, wakes me up at least once a week :roll:
remember though the test is on idle/fast idle, not 8000 revs.
steve b

Post by steve b »

Lauren wrote:

I must admit i'd welcome a restriction on stupidly loud exhausts. :+:

Let's hope it happens soon. :tongue:

Me too, maybe it'll make the manufacturers pull their thumbs out and start to make high flowing systems that psss track day regs and don't make your head explode when cruising on the motorway. I hate the chav tastic exhaust on my Eunos but I didn't want to have to pay out £600 or so for a bespoke item, so got an off the shelf one, wish I'd spent the extra.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
LimeyMk1
IMOC Committee

Post by LimeyMk1 »

Personally the only exhaust note that grates my nerves is the f'in scooters that seem to travel around in shoals. :evil:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

Limeymk1 wrote:Personally the only exhaust note that grates my nerves is the f'in scooters that seem to travel around in shoals. :evil:

lol, so true :-k
Gersen

Post by Gersen »

Limeymk1 wrote:Personally the only exhaust note that grates my nerves is the f'in scooters that seem to travel around in shoals. :evil:

WTF do they pull away with the throttle pinned WO and keep it there until they have reached chicken chasing top speed?
Why thank you - I grew it myself you know

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”