[Mk2] [Turbo] Alternator Charging Lead

Anything to do with the electrics of the car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

craig_mr2_mk1

[Mk2] [Turbo] Alternator Charging Lead

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

My car has been sat in the garage for 2 months now as the alternator packed up so i've replaced but i'm not getting t charge to the battery. Am I right in thinking that the thick lead that is bolted to top is the lead that charges the battery?? Where does that lead go to as i think i need to run a new on.
My car is a MK2 Turbo not a MK1 as my user name says!

Thanks,

Craig.
Alteran

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Alternator Charging Lead

Post by Alteran »

Does the red battery charge light work and go out when the car has started? Also check you're getting 14ish volts directly out the back of the alternator using a multimeter with the engine running. Was the original alternator definitely shagged? The chances of two faults on the same circuit occuring simultaniously is very slim. Either there was never an alternator issue, just a wiring fault which still exists.. Or the original alternator was faulty and you've fitted the new one but missed something. Wire off? Check the red battery light illuminates in the car. I'd start there.

Hope this helps mate,

Liam.
-:[KM]:-

Post by -:[KM]:- »

Also check the ECU-IG fuse..
craig_mr2_mk1

Post by craig_mr2_mk1 »

Yep the original alternator was completely dead. I dropped it off to try and get it refurb'd and they said it wasn't worth doing due to the amount of work needed to get it going.
My brother broke a turbo a few month back so i've taken his alternator but after testing with a multimeter i've found it to be only producing 12.2 volts so i'm going to try and get this one refurb'd or just buy a new one.

Craig.

Return to “Electrical”