Can anyone help identify a ground coat paint code?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RST

Can anyone help identify a ground coat paint code?

Post by RST »

Can anyone offer any help matching paint colour / find a paint code? I’m just about out of ideas to try now.

I have some small parts I want to touch up, these are “interior” parts rather than external. Odd spots around the engine bay and front boot etc to be exact.

I know my original base coat code is Aquamarine Pearlescent code 746 (specific to UK 1993 registration) but the code I’m hunting for is the "ground" coat which was factory applied –before the base coat was sprayed on the external panels and lacquered over (e.g. the boot, front boot and engine bay colour). It’s a flat colour rather than pearlescent.

I haven’t had any success so far. The local factors have analysers but not cordless types and the few loose panels I have left have overspray on them so can’t get a code. Also, I’ve got a set of chips –but seems myself and most of the local places have everything but that set of Toyota colours.

Can anyone help of offer any sources for info? I think the closest (ish) colour I came to on chips was a Subaru Teal colour –but that wasn’t that close. The on-line tables don’t list the colour, and I can’t see one in our Spies and Heckler book.

…Thanks for any pointers,

Richard

Ironically I had 2 aerosols of 746 made up just when the spirit based 1k stuff was running out –but the factors cocked up and must have forgot to put the metal flake component in it. Was probably the closest match I’ve seen looking back, but they couldn’t replicate it as it was a mistake!!! (I must have used the cans up on something as I don't have them now :( ).
Steve-O 2007

Re: Can anyone help identify a ground coat paint code?

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

It could be the same colour just a different laquer making it look a different colour.

At work you can realy see the difference with the different laquers on certain colours eg gloss / shiney laquer realy brings out all the sparkly effects where as mat / dull laquer doesnt as much and makes the colour look different / darker
RST

Post by RST »

Hi Steve, thanks for the reply.

Yea it definately looks like it's a different colour. There's absolutely no metal flake in it at all, I can't seem to get a decent pic posted which shows the difference properly.

TBH I don't know if this was common on other colours or not, I keep on forgetting to look when I'm at MR2 meets -I know my astral black celica looks like it just has the same paint all over and from what I'm told they don't paint modern cars with different shades of colours now.

Do you recon its going to be worth a shot buying a load of touch up pots and trying to mix something by eye -or just a waste of time?
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

how bad are the bits your touching in? if you use a fine brush and the standard touch in paint it might look ok when left an hour or 2 to dry but dont put any laquer on them.

Or goto a local bodyshop and get them to match it with one of their chips. The bodyshop I work at has thousand of different colour chips that can match nearly anything up, they use them to match wheel colours up etc as they have chips that arent car specific eg grey but loads of different variations of it etc if you know what I mean
RST

Post by RST »

Hi Steve, sorry for not posting back. TBH we haven't found a match on chips as yet from the places I've tried up here -I may have to do some driving down to Aberdeen or summit. They're only small spots but really bugging me -I want to get a match on the code then just order some 2K and use a small flat sable brush to touch up the areas after prepping them. They're not big areas but let the car down IMO.

I guess everyone elses colour is painted the same throughout.
djrs_mr2

Post by djrs_mr2 »

boot, frunk, engine bay internals were painted with a b laquer,on some toyota's. basically it is a tinted primer, over the top of grey primer the rest of the whole car has, to save time/ money on not having to spray them with topcoat,
robwsurf

Post by robwsurf »

i just looked on my mixing scheme i use standox on standowin toyota 746 aqua marine is listed can gie you the mix of tints if you like but there isnt a ground coat just basecoat and lacquer can give you water or solvent based codes
robwsurf

Post by robwsurf »

sorry just read your post better there is a 746 turquoise that could be it? if you take it to one of the larger bodyshops they ll have ascanner they can put on the panel and it ll tell you the colour
Steve-O 2007

Post by Steve-O 2007 »

robwsurf wrote:i just looked on my mixing scheme i use standox on standowin toyota 746 aqua marine is listed can gie you the mix of tints if you like but there isnt a ground coat just basecoat and lacquer can give you water or solvent based codes

Snap :mrgreen: I use Standox as well :thumleft:

I also have access to BMW Glasurit and Spies Hecker
RST

Post by RST »

Guys,

Yea I've had probs matching Standox to OEM 746 Aqua Pearl -Standox always seems a bit blue (actually whatever the colour as we've put a few cars through the booth since I started this), guy who painted the car last year said the same thing. If you look under Spies and Heckler book there's a few 746 colours, then when you transfer that to the mixer, there's another 4 or 5 shades according to the computer mixer at our factors for Standox. I might still have a scan of the S&H page in my garage. Anyhow -doesn't help with the ground coat.

....I had 2 very small bits of progress today though:

I managed to speak to Brian at Arnold Clark Toyota (Aberdeen) -our local Toyota (Inverness) is useless. He couldn't help me much with my boot lock for the GT4 import but he said there was officially no official colour codes for the ground / b-coat released -to them anyway. So at least I know now I'm not chasing a code I thought might be available (hence asking on here).

A Hah -earlier tonight I found a mixing pot in one of my cupboards -leftover from my respray which has the dregs of paint in it from what the guy painted under my boot! The paint's dried up but I think it might be just enough to take it and get it analysed!

...problem I've got guys is location -there's F-all decent up here so it's a bit difficult. I think I'm going to have to take the car to Aberdeen or Edinburgh / Glasgow to get the paint sorted properly.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”