Suggestion - banned members...

What's happening at the Club. You can post your suggestions and ideas here, along with reports of any problems using the site.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

StevieL

Re: Suggestion - banned members...

Post by StevieL »

Best way to buy and sell is to collect in person and pay in cash (where possible). You can check the item over before you hand over your hard earned.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

jack-p wrote:[
In the nicest possible way, this is a terrible idea. That would be an awful lot of work for the moderators to determine who needs to abide by what rules and nobody new would pick up on it, whereas if everybody had to do it then it would be obvious to new members. I appreciate things like this are difficult to get off the ground so can see why it's looking like a ball-ache but IF there is a problem it's worth the effort in my opinion.

Are there any specific examples of this happening where a photo of the forsale item would have helped/stopped the issue ?

I think we would all have noticed if we had a load of new users scamming us, that seems to be the reason why you would implement such a suggestion?

If I saw Karl advertising some parts, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me whether there was a picture of his username next to the item. I know he's Karl, I know it's unlikely he's going to rip me off. Do you know how I know that? Because I used my brain. Of course he could go all loco and start ripping people off, but the photo isn't going to stop that.

I'm just thinking sensibly here.
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

I understand your point of view charged, and completely get where you are coming from I'm just trying to make the forum a safer place

I haven't been scammed. I know Jack hasn't been scammed either and I'm not saying its an epidemic on the forum. I just like trying to protect our users... It may be a minority but to use an example; just because you only have a few genital warts doesn't mean you shouldn't get it seen to asap for future protection and to ensure regular users still visit :lol:

Money is tight these days and I'm just trying to make sure that our users don't get ripped off. It's fine buying from users who are well known or stood the test of time but there is an awful lot of new faces on here regularly who may be scammed or be trying to scam.

Trying to prevent the next Mr Tyrant :thumleft:

Ok here's a different idea then (I'm sure it's rubbish but its another way of tackling the issue) - everyone who is a new premium member has to scan and send a copy of a driving license, or passport etc... to the moderators before being able to sell items. That way if anyone is scammed the buyer/person who has lost out can be sent the address of the seller in order to sort out a civil claim.
Last edited by KarlBristol on Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

That's all cool Karl, no problem banding ideas and suggestions around but as I say (and it's my opinion) the suggested photo idea will not help.
Nobody wants to be scammed, or wants to see anyone scammed.

Photo posting would not prevent the next Mr Tyrant.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

KarlBristol wrote:

Ok here's a different idea then (I'm sure it's rubbish but its another way of tackling the issue) - everyone who is a new premium member has to scan and send a copy of a driving license, or passport etc... to the moderators before being able to sell items. That way if anyway is scammed the buyer/person who has lost out can be sent the address of the seller in order to sort out a civil claim.

To me, that sounds like an idea which would have make a scammer think twice.. although I guess the issue is, we do not know said ID is for the person listing the adverts
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

KarlBristol wrote:
just because you only have a few genital warts doesn't mean you shouldn't get it seen to asap for future protection and to ensure regular users still visit :lol:

Probably best to keep your private life private bud :lol:

If I saw Karl advertising some parts, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference to me whether there was a picture of his username next to the item. I know he's Karl, I know it's unlikely he's going to rip me off. Do you know how I know that? Because I used my brain. Of course he could go all loco and start ripping people off, but the photo isn't going to stop that.

I'm just thinking sensibly here.

I would happily buy from Karl and many other members without a second thought but when someone new signs up and is selling something you want are you really going to let it slip because it's not safe? No, and this is where people are getting scammed. We buy with our hearts more than our heads.

I fear you may be taking my disagreement with your opinion personally, please don't misunderstand my intentions.
jack-p

Post by jack-p »

charged wrote:
KarlBristol wrote:

Ok here's a different idea then (I'm sure it's rubbish but its another way of tackling the issue) - everyone who is a new premium member has to scan and send a copy of a driving license, or passport etc... to the moderators before being able to sell items. That way if anyway is scammed the buyer/person who has lost out can be sent the address of the seller in order to sort out a civil claim.

To me, that sounds like an idea which would have make a scammer think twice.. although I guess the issue is, we do not know said ID is for the person listing the adverts

and you thought my idea was a pain in the ar$e?! That surely is more likely to deter sellers from bothering, not to mention the time and effort to accumulate all the data. Plus would you really feel secure having a forum store a copy of your important documents? I wouldnt.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

So taking a photo with your name and date by it means a scammer is gonna send it out :lol:

ok, a simple question to all of you.

A passer by in the street stops you and he/she says "i have a MR2 part for sale. Give me your money now and i'll meet you back here in an hour with the part"

Now im sure 100% of you would say on your bike.

So, if this is the case why would any of you pay for the item via bank transfer or as a gift on PayPal as this is pretty much exactly what you're doing.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

jack-p wrote:
KarlBristol wrote:
just because you only have a few genital warts doesn't mean you shouldn't get it seen to asap for future protection and to ensure regular users still visit :lol:

Probably best to keep your private life private bud :lol:

It was just an example :mrgreen:

jack-p

Post by jack-p »

alanmr2turbo wrote:So taking a photo with your name and date by it means a scammer is gonna send it out :lol:

A passer by in the street stops you and he/she says "i have a MR2 part for sale. Give me your money now and i'll meet you back here in an hour with the part"

So, if this is the case why would any of you pay for the item via bank transfer or as a gift on PayPal as this is pretty much exactly what you're doing.

Of course not and it still means people are vulnerable to being scammed BUT it does mean that they at least have to own the item in the first. The intention is to make it difficultfor a scammer, not genuine sellers.

If people recognise it as working on other websites why are we being skeptical when it comes to imoc? The website i've seen it work well on is detailing world but others have mentioned other sites too.
Last edited by jack-p on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

alanmr2turbo wrote:So taking a photo with your name and date by it means a scammer is gonna send it out :lol:

That's completely incorrect. On the forum, you can directly see a list of feedback, read all of their previous posts and have at least a little insight about them, not to mention the ability to look them up if they've left any details laying about. That would likely not be the case in the street. I, for one would be happy to upload a scan of my passport/driving license etc to give some accountability. I don't and won't ever use PayPal, so to be honest, anything that can inspire trust for me is a positive.

Edit : The name by picture thing wouldn't really be too annoying either. Perhaps enforce it for users less than a year old on the forum, or with less than five feedback or something? It won't eliminate scams, I agree, but may make it a touch harder for anybody thinking about doing it.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

The more you post the more I like you Matt :mrgreen:
Great minds think alike :thumleft:

Tsia wrote:It won't eliminate scams, I agree, but may make it a touch harder for anybody thinking about doing it.

Oh and I agree with the above comment - you won't eliminate every scammer, especially the determined ones. Hopefully though we can make sites like mr2oc look like more of an appealing place for them though up to here! Lol.

alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Tsia wrote:

That's completely incorrect. On the forum, you can directly see a list of feedback, read all of their previous posts and have at least a little insight about them, not to mention the ability to look them up if they've left any details laying about. That would likely not be the case in the street. I, for one would be happy to upload a scan of my passport/driving license etc to give some accountability. I don't and won't ever use PayPal, so to be honest, anything that can inspire trust for me is a positive.

Edit : The name by picture thing wouldn't really be too annoying either. Perhaps enforce it for users less than a year old on the forum, or with less than five feedback or something? It won't eliminate scams, I agree, but may make it a touch harder for anybody thinking about doing it.

Ok a lesson on how to scam.

Build up rep and sell smaller, cheaper items for say £10-£15. Then when you have built up your feedback like you say sell a big item. Maybe a fully rebuilt engine or massive turbo for £1k+

Damn, wasn't a Moderator on here found out to be a scammer with good feedback not long ago? :lol:

TRUST NO-ONE!!!!!! And always pay where you have some kind of protection.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Yes, a moderator did and as we said before, you'll never eliminate scams completely. I agree, the PayPal thing does work, but it should not be something that's enforced.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

Tsia wrote:Yes, a moderator did and as we said before, you'll never eliminate scams completely. I agree, the PayPal thing does work, but it should not be something that's enforced.

So if it work why not enforce it. Probably 99% of people on here use it.

Stamps out scamming full stop. Ok, you maybe without you money back for a few days while PayPal look into it but you would at least get your money back
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

alanmr2turbo wrote:
Tsia wrote:Yes, a moderator did and as we said before, you'll never eliminate scams completely. I agree, the PayPal thing does work, but it should not be something that's enforced.

So if it work why not enforce it. Probably 99% of people on here use it.

Stamps out scamming full stop. Ok, you maybe without you money back for a few days while PayPal look into it but you would at least get your money back

Arguing from a completely personal point of view :
I have no PayPal account. I cannot use it and thus, cannot trade on the forums. Furthermore, I disagree with all of the fees PayPal charge and wouldn't want to use it anyway. Scamming is not a huge issue here, it's not like we're hearing about it every day, so there is simply no need to go full eBay. You never go full eBay.

I just want to make it difficult for anybody that wishes to try.
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Not everyone has access to, likes or wants to use PayPal

By directing that all transactions have to be cash on collection or PayPal your actually cutting down on a lot of people who would trade on the forum...

Edit: just seen that you've replied with a very similar post at the exact same time as me. Sorry for the duplication :oops: :lol:

jack-p

Post by jack-p »

Since we're re-enforcing the point, paypal is a cheek! They charge too much for anything of reasonable value in my opinion. Having said that I use them for pretty much every transaction because it's relatively secure and they've cornered the market.
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

LOL you gotta laugh. People ranting about scammers yet wouldnt use PayPal to protect themselves against the scammers

As for their charges i would not say they are that bad for the protection they offer. I would rather pay a few extra £'s on top that loose a few £100
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

alanmr2turbo wrote:LOL you gotta laugh. People ranting about scammers yet wouldnt use PayPal to protect themselves against the scammers

As for their charges i would not say they are that bad for the protection they offer. I would rather pay a few extra £'s on top that loose a few £100

1. This isn't a rant, it was supposed to be a discussion on how to put a dampener on scammers.

2. There have been several people saying they wouldn't want to use it. One of the issues with the picture thing according to some, would be fewer people wanting to sell here. There's a reason I don't sell things on eBay unless I absolutely have to.

3. They're not bad for the protection, no, but there are other ways to pay and furthermore, it's essentially giving in to one scam to protect yourself from another. =;

Return to “Club News and Announcements”