[Mk2] [Generic] Reducing front end lift and generally improving front end grip

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Reducing front end lift and generally improving front end grip

Post by KarlBristol »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
KarlBristol wrote:They sell them here;

http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=599

I keep them in stock. :thumleft:

I'm not sure I dare ask how much for as I'd be tempted to tag it onto the bill :whistle: lol
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Magic Beans

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] Reducing front end lift and generally improving front end grip

Post by Magic Beans »

Peter Gidden - SBITS wrote:
KarlBristol wrote:They sell them here;

http://www.twosrus.com/catalog/product_ ... cts_id=599

I keep them in stock. :thumleft:

You kept that quiet :wink:

I'll give you a call in a bit and we'll discuss prices etc :)
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

Rev5 speedflaps just attach via 3 bolts to the arch liners, so if you don't have any liners you'll struggle fitting them! You can get them from affiliates, Toyota, etc. I had a set but never fitted as I couldn't be ar$ed to take the arch liners off :lol:

Rogue have set up a MK2 with a completely flat underbody as a downforce experiment (and I think that had a Border front bumper) so probably worth a chat.
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

bobhatton wrote:You need to read this.

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=4 ... ge=1&pp=20

I'd love to but it seems they don't need any new members, as they thwart my efforts by not confirming the account :(

What was the outcome of the discussion?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

toxo wrote:Rev5 speedflaps just attach via 3 bolts to the arch liners, so if you don't have any liners you'll struggle fitting them! You can get them from affiliates, Toyota, etc. I had a set but never fitted as I couldn't be ar$ed to take the arch liners off :lol:

Rogue have set up a MK2 with a completely flat underbody as a downforce experiment (and I think that had a Border front bumper) so probably worth a chat.

I had a good look around the bumper at lunch and other than a 75mm piece sticking out along the width of the wheel, there's no material to bond the flaps to. One idea I guess would be to add a 90 degree lip on the custom undertray, which would give a surface for the flaps to be bolted to. There might even be the option to go a little further with it, by extending the flaps further down or further into the wheel well :-k
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Magic Beans wrote:

I'd love to but it seems they don't need any new members, as they thwart my efforts by not confirming the account :(

What was the outcome of the discussion?

Get Bob and Steve to sort it :thumleft:
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

:mrgreen:

Car to impart any wisdom on us then, or is there a long drive to Cornwall on the horizon? :wink:
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

There is no easy answer.

We have never had any problems with the front end all the way to 160+. I have full under body stock covers and Steve has none.

Your front wheels and tyres are too wide, that will be the main problem.

The height front and rear needs to be correct together with camber and wheel alignment.

This would help too

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... 12#1458112
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've been considering that kit for a while. :-k

I think what I'll do is start with the basics and assess the feel/performance after each change and go from there. First up is to replace these 245s as they just don't work, for several reasons. I'd prefer not to replace the wheels if possible, so I think a 225 is the narrowest I can get away with? 215 would be too much of a stretch and might need to be a 40 profile :-k

I'll post up my findings along the way too, as it would be good to have a thread as a point of reference for others looking to achieve the same things. Any other tips, suggestions, tweaks. experiences that people might have would be great :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I've just read the thread and it's some impressive work :thumleft:

The front end tests were pretty interesting and gives me some food for thought. It's also good to see the combination of BGW and engine cover seem to net positive results, as well, that's what I've got fitted :wink:
Harold

Post by Harold »

How do you install the rev 5 speed flaps on a non rev 5 car securely?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Harold wrote:How do you install the rev 5 speed flaps on a non rev 5 car securely?

http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-2-part-num ... flaps.html :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Does anyone have any tips on the best material to use for the undertray? I've been doing some research and people seem to use a variety of things, from aluminium to coroplast and FRP etc :-k

If aluminium then what thickenss should it be?
dantheman

Post by dantheman »

Magic Beans wrote:

I used 1.5mm and thats strong enough.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Any issues with it flexing or resonating at speed? What mounting points did you use?
Nic

Post by Nic »

Magic Beans wrote:Does anyone have any tips on the best material to use for the undertray? I've been doing some research and people seem to use a variety of things, from aluminium to coroplast and FRP etc :-k

Universal front undertray/diffuser http://www.rhdjapan.com/eurou-front-dif ... pe-2-64950
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Nice find, thanks :)

I saw EMS Powered were doing a group buy on some ages ago on MR2.com. No longer though :(
add heywood

Post by add heywood »

That looks exactly what I was looking for Nic, shame about the £300 delivery charge :(
Adam86
Premium Member

Post by Adam86 »

Even my works sprinter has speed flaps lol.

Return to “Modifications”