The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

Re: The journey of one man and his Mule(s)

Post by Magic Beans »

Hi Martin,

If I go the V8 route I might just do that :) Not sure if the lure of a Hayabusa Turbo or similar is too strong though :-k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJzqCEj0REQ
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

A few photos from last weekend's Kent Coast Run.

Departure

Tunnel!

Pit stop

Not a bad view

Pete's 1.5

Ben Mk1 SC Super Edition

Pete's monster ST

A few combo shots

The 1er

Adrienne's Scirocco

Thanks again to the Masons for their hospitality. Looking forward to next time :)
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

Fantastic photos and a brilliant weekend ;)

Maybe mule 4 will be down next time
Herecomestrouble

Post by Herecomestrouble »

Always welcome :) some awesome pics of the cars n DM :clap: :clap:
Overall a very good weekend - see you both again soon :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

A few photos of the Westy. Spent much more time driving it than photographing it, so been a bit slack in that area recently 8-[

Tidied up the engine bay a bit

First wash and wax

A couple of shots after a ride out with a friend with his hog.

Doing a full health check this weekend and hopefully dialling in the steering, fuelling etc, as it feels it's all a bit off at the moment.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

good god Phil you aint half brought that back up.... Awesome bit of detailing you have done. Looks much more like your car now haha!!

Looking good man :)

*** COUGHS *** "Hayabusa turbo"

8)
craig

Post by craig »

Nice pics from the run Phil! Westy's looking pretty damn clean, but then that was inevitable in your hands!

:mrgreen:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

GeorgeL wrote:good god Phil you aint half brought that back up.... Awesome bit of detailing you have done. Looks much more like your car now haha!!

Looking good man :) 8)

RedMR² wrote:Nice pics from the run Phil! Westy's looking pretty damn clean, but then that was inevitable in your hands!

:mrgreen:

It's all just a trick of the light, honest :wink:

GeorgeL wrote:*** COUGHS *** "Hayabusa turbo" 8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJzqCEj0REQ :o

I think this is what I'm going to aspire towards - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

I've seen that DAX a good few times in the flesh and giving it some
"Beans" also... It's a bit of a weapon that's for sure.. Got a good photo of the turbo and manifold exiting the side of it too :p

Please do go for building something nuts like that
synXero

Post by synXero »

Needs more tyre blackener :D

Lovely car when it's polished up. I have a bit of a tyre fettish ( :-$ ) and enjoy the amount of tread on show!
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

GeorgeL wrote:I've seen that DAX a good few times in the flesh and giving it some
"Beans" also... It's a bit of a weapon that's for sure.. Got a good photo of the turbo and manifold exiting the side of it too :p

Please do go for building something nuts like that

Maybe not quite as extreme as that perhaps but I think it needs to be extreme. Ideally something good for street, circuit and the drag strip.

synXero wrote:Needs more tyre blackener :D

Lovely car when it's polished up. I have a bit of a tyre fettish ( :-$ ) and enjoy the amount of tread on show!

I must confess, I never use tyre shine :oops:

The paint's far from perfect, as it has been and is used. I might wrap or Plasti dip it at some point, assuming I keep it.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Car (engine) broken.

That is all... :neutral: #-o
Ben

Post by Ben »

Oh dear :(

What happened?
2001 BMW M5 (Bahnstormer) | 2004 RX8 231 (the Racecat) | 2001 Volvo V70 (Swedish eBay barge)

Previous:
1989 MR2 Mk1b T-bar | 1988 MR2 SC Super Edition
ashley

Post by ashley »

No way- terminal??
craig

Post by craig »

Gutted for you mate :(
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Surely not??!!! That sucks Phil!!

When you say broken what's the extent of the damage??
It sounded like it was running well yesterday...
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
juliankv73

Post by juliankv73 »

:shock: Ah mate, gutted for you :pale:

Would Peter be able to shed any light on it?

It may not be as bad or as Ashley says or "terminal" as it first looks.

Peter being a guru on all things 4 wheels, should be able to look at it and diagnose what the problem may be :pray:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Well, it all started on Friday when I took a drive up to see Nick as he'd kindly offered to look at the car, to see what it's made off and resolve any issues we found. We went out, got a little boozed, ate some crumble and generally created a state which meant I was a tad tired and delicate on Saturday 8-[ :lol:

We took the car out for a drive on Saturday, with Peter's AFR meter in place to understand what's going on with fuelling, as it's been hesitating when accelerating and seemingly getting worse. The readings are fine when idling and driving steadily but as soon as you accelerate the readings go off the scale, so it's significantly over fuelling.

It was also a good chance to take a look at a certain V6 conversion which was being picked up that day. It makes quite some noise! Certainly adds to the attraction of a V8 :-k

We got back, sorted a few bits as/when discovered (created :whistle: ). Then cracked on with trying to identify what the deal is with the engine. To cut a long arduous story short it, looks like the carb main jets are far too large, however we need to speak to the guys who did the work originally to find out for sure. Could be the pistons though so more investigation needed.

We got everything back together and turned the engine over, it ran fine... until there was a rattling/impact noise. We quickly turned the engine off and got the sparks out. Luckily a return trip to Peter's meant we had a boroscope to see what was going on. We looked in cylinder 3 and noticed a what appeared to be either a lump of metal on the piston or a dent in the crown. :pale: What I can only assume happened is that in the process of putting things back together I had to put the trumpet back on the no.1 carb, as the filter wouldn't fit on without it. One of the grub screws appears to be missing so must have somehow fallen into the trumpet of the no.3 carb and got sucked into the engine and then nicely mashed around. Completely my fault and likely due to a lapse in concentration/care when working around the carbs :(

The car's currently sat in Nick's garage with it's brother from another mother, in the form of Nick's awesome Lancia Beta Montecarlo. The head needs to come off to see what the damage is, then allowing a considered decision as to how it's fixed. Might be an easy enough fix, might be that it's damaged the head and we find the cylinder are also past their best and contributing towards the fuelling issues. It might be an opportunity to put some forged pistons in get it running as it should. We'll see what the next few weeks bring I guess.

To be honest, although it's annoying and a massive PITA, I'm kinda battle hardened to this kind of thing and just see it as an opportunity to understand exactly what I've got an the best approach going forward. I do love the whole kit car thing, so whatever happens will will be more of the same but just faster and more extreme O:)

I'm really grateful of Nick's help and sorry for burdening him with a sick car in his garage :oops:
slipping clutch

Post by slipping clutch »

Lightning strikes Phil"magic Beans" twice :( Absolutley gutted for you Phil - V8 time my man.
GeorgeL

Post by GeorgeL »

Aww god phil... I thought I was having a bad day having to work but that's just a nightmare.

However all things aside.. Everything happens for a reason. Be it xxxx or good. This is the start of the next chapter for sure :) and I'm Sure it will be a great one at that :)

Return to “Member Profiles”