[Mk2] [Turbo] result of not having an oil change

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

lee.w

[Mk2] [Turbo] result of not having an oil change

Post by lee.w »

whats the major problems of not having an oil change?
ryangt

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] result of not having an oil change

Post by ryangt »

more engine wear , less mpg . silly thing to do . like i tell a lot of people if u buy a sports car or turbo car , and cant afford the money for a oil change then its best to buy a 1.2 1.4 car .
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

I can probably tell you soon.

Mate of mine has not changed the oil in his since its last service, which was before I met him and I've know him 2 years or so... =;

Another mate has recently bought an s14... had clunking noises... had to have an engine rebuild.. guy at his garage said it didn't look like the oil had been changed in years.. not good..

I'm doing mine every 5k miles or so on the s14.
Ian Geary

Post by Ian Geary »

it also depends on the type of oil in there

if its cheap mineral stuff, the turbo heat will cook it, and it will become far worse at lubrication and transferring heat away from key areas - like the turbo. (proper synthetic stuff should have a life of 10,000 miles or so modern service schedules say)

I'm no chemist, but I've heard anecdotally that old oil can also increase the particals in there, potentially clogging sump feeds or other narrow gallerys.

However, this could be diesel turbo cars.

Also, I'm wary of repeating an urban myth "because everyone says so"... at the end of the day this is a valid quesiton, and loads more people says "because someone told me so" is just going to perpetuate things.

However, no oil change = no oil filter change, and that is just daft.

I hope at least the oil level is being checked weekly?

hth

Ian
diycinema

Post by diycinema »

On a turbo it can be very bad. The oil feed to the turbo is prone to clogging up and can starve it of lubrication. Obviously you'll get all the other problems like increased wear on the bearings, cams and piston rings. Changing the oil is the best preventative maintainence you can possibly do, if it's your car don't risk it, if you're thinking of buying a poorly maintained car i wouldn't go near it unless you're planning an engine rebuild.
BenF
Premium Member

Post by BenF »

Look at it this way : Tank of fuel, £50. Engine Rebuild, £2-3k.

Generic Synthetic oil : £30

Generic Mineral oil : £15-20

Its worth changing the oil even for mineral oil in the short term rather than leave old oil in there, so long as you change it more frequently.
ryangt

Post by ryangt »

Lou-Lou wrote:I can probably tell you soon.

Mate of mine has not changed the oil in his since its last service, which was before I met him and I've know him 2 years or so... =;

Another mate has recently bought an s14... had clunking noises... had to have an engine rebuild.. guy at his garage said it didn't look like the oil had been changed in years.. not good..

i had a s14a running stage 3b as jez at h-dev set it up . oil change every 3000miles at about 360bhp !
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

I can tell you what happens. By mistake when I had my N/A I left it 16k miles before changing the oil (should be every 10k) and from that time on it started to drink more and more oil and started to sound tappy when driving. Also later on the oil pressure light started taking a long time to go out when starting up. I managed to part-ex it before the engine blew. I was literally topping up about a litre of oil every 2 weeks. I'd say it took about 15-20k miles to get this bad but even so I know it was caused by leaving the oil/filter change too long. Proof that even reliable N/A engines will suffer if neglected.

Now I always make sure my oil/filter changes are done on time. My current turbo engine runs sound and hardly uses any oil and I want to keep it like that.
Lou-Lou

Post by Lou-Lou »

ryangt wrote:
Lou-Lou wrote:I can probably tell you soon.

i had a s14a running stage 3b as jez at h-dev set it up . oil change every 3000miles at about 360bhp !

I should probs do mine a little more often.. tbh no idea what power / map its running.. need to get that checked out..
steve b

Post by steve b »

Why anyone wouldn't chango oil frequently is a mystery to me, I had a stone hit my filter holing it (very small it sprayed a fine mist out), I changed the oil and filter in halfords car par with tools in the car it took all of 10 minutes.
'02 VX220 2.2 n/a Daily driver - Exige Size TD 1.2 - TAT shorty Diffuser - HardTop - Chris Tullet 4-1 Manifold.

'97 mk1 Mazda Eunos Turbo track car with 260bhp/ton - soon more as Chris Wilsons going to build me an engine over the winter :o) .
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

allot of it all depends on the engine too

VW`s have to change it all the time or bye bye

old fords essex etc they can run dry and not die.

3sgte aint too bad but suseptable to spinning shells.

on monday i went to an LPG vehicle the fault was oil light coming on. basically, the oil had not been changed in 3000hrs.

on an LPG system after the gas burns you get a thing called heavy ends which is a waxy buldup. this had gone through the PVC system and actually tuned the oil a chocolate brown and wax build up on the dipstick, scavange pump, filter and in the MOG.

i know you have not got an LPG however i thought i would share an experience
dawolf

Post by dawolf »

simmo490 wrote:

VW`s have to change it all the time or bye bye

Are you talking about the old VW's? Most of the new ones can have long-life servicing intervals which is every 15-20k miles. Something we could only dream about.
simmo490

Post by simmo490 »

i am talking BEF series etc not the new GTTDI jobbies etc. there quite new, up till about 2006.

VW are really xxxx hot on the oil side of things and supprised the servicing intervals are that long.

Return to “Mechanical”