[Mk2] [Turbo] !!! REV2 Turbo Mappable ECU !!!

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

m0jo

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] !!! REV2 Turbo Mappable ECU !!!

Post by m0jo »

sounds promising mate :clap:

im hoping this is completed this year :pray:
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

Is there no chance of making it fully USB rather than serial then?
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

How much is this going to be then for the hardware and software?
darryl_p

Post by darryl_p »

bump
mr2nut123

Post by mr2nut123 »

mr2nut123 wrote:How much is this going to be then for the hardware and software?

Bump to this question too!
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

mrfil13 wrote:Is there no chance of making it fully USB rather than serial then?

I looked at USB last year (made a working prototype) and ended up going back to RS-232.

I did this because the comms cable wiring was easier to route through the car bulkheads and also RS-232 was cheaper.

This may have been a mistake and I may well go back to USB as I've found that RS-232 is a problem if people start using USB to serial adapters that aren't compatible with my software.
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

mr2nut123 wrote:How much is this going to be then for the hardware and software?

I'm not sure I'm allowed to say on here but if you had £*** you would have enough change for a packet of crisps...

***Price removed by Admin***

The price may well change depending on sales etc but I doubt I'll get that many genuine takers.
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

I have the money here waiting to pay you now. I need 2 or 3 of them.

Bob
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

JMR_AW11 wrote:
mrfil13 wrote:Is there no chance of making it fully USB rather than serial then?

I looked at USB last year (made a working prototype) and ended up going back to RS-232.

I did this because the comms cable wiring was easier to route through the car bulkheads and also RS-232 was cheaper.

This may have been a mistake and I may well go back to USB as I've found that RS-232 is a problem if people start using USB to serial adapters that aren't compatible with my software.

Didn't think about the routing, any idea what the maximum range of USB is?

There doesn't seem to be many new laptops with RS-232 anymore, only desktop PCs.

In the future will there be any provision for people to maybe create there own interfaces for the readings from the ECU, ie so someone could have a Carputer with an LCD screen in the dash and make a nice looking speedo using the data from the software?

Sorry for jumping the gun, just was thinking it may open the doors to people that are tempted by an electronic dash for more business.
eRATic

Post by eRATic »

JMR_AW11 wrote:

I'm not sure I'm allowed to say on here but if you had £400 you would have enough change for a packet of crisps...

The price may well change depending on sales etc but I doubt I'll get that many genuine takers.

i'm ready to buy as well and i know a few others running hybrid turbo and increased boost on rev 2 engines.
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

I'm still very keen on this too.
TUBBY-DEUCE

Post by TUBBY-DEUCE »

im also ready to snap one up, its every rev2 owners dream come true \:D/
Dirk

Post by Dirk »

Add me to the list of people who are just patiently (or not so patiently :D ) waiting for one...
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

Been waiting for updates on this as well.

After a few tweeks it's just what I need to top everything off.
I see this as being easier on the pocket than other options of ecu in that you can pay out to have this fitted and run around on it with a base map then arrange the full mapping when you've got a bit more cash.

I know it's early days yet but to save a few pennies I wonder if it would be possible to say get together batches of 5 owners and have them block fitted & mapped over a weekend / 2 day period???
Everybody all in the same place at the same time and mucking in to get things done might save time & money over 5 separate fittings / mappings.

Hope it all goes OK and if you need a bigger sample for testing then let us know. I'm sure you won't be short of takers!!

JB
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

Let us start a list of owners that are willing to buy this ECU upgrade.

Please add your name to the list.

1 bobhatton x 3
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
ChrisW

Post by ChrisW »

1. bobhatton x 3
2. ChrisW x 1
JasonB

Post by JasonB »

1. bobhatton x 3
2. ChrisW x 1
3. JasonB x 1

JB
JMR_AW11

Post by JMR_AW11 »

Please don't set up a list yet...

I know there are people interested in the UK (and the US) but the product really needs more 'real' testing on the software side. The ECU itself is fine, as Tom has been running one every day for quite a while now.

We did have a few issues with various laptops and USB to serial cables at the rolling road and I don't want to be sending out ECUs with datalog software that only works reliably on 'most' computers.

We ended up using my laptop (it has a proper serial port) at the RR and it ran faultlessly for the whole session.

I haven't tried it on a Vista laptop yet either... :(

I may well go back to USB on the next run of boards but this does have the additional downside in that it's harder (for me at least) to make an in car display for logging etc that behaves as a USB host.

With an RS-232 serial port it's much easier to make a cheap and cheerful display. (already made one)

I've got several laptops and two desktops and they all run the SW perfectly but I think I'm going to have to buy a cheap modern laptop with Vista (yuk) and also a popular USB to serial adaptor to use as another test station. i.e. something that is more typical of the kind of gear used by a tuner.
spowy

Post by spowy »

Good work Jeremy I to have been watching this thread and the others with much interest you have done a great job and can't wait till the production starts on these.

Why is there another list getting made though as there was a list at the start of the thread with all the people that were wanting one.Surely it would make sense to go through the first list and find out who still wants one once the production starts.

Keep up the good work Jeremy

Chris
Gersen

Post by Gersen »

Just return from a (very sucessful) trackday at Folembray

Just to amuse you all the journey back from Folembray to Bolougne to Dover to Southampton done on one tank of fuel.

That's 321 miles to 43.6 litres or 32mpg for those Rev2 owners that are wondering. No really.....no typo....that's 321 miles and it hadn't hit reserve yet! ;)

Top marks to Ryan for his mapping genius (even on my knackered old turbo) ;)

Car never missed a beat on the fueling and timing :mrgreen:
Why thank you - I grew it myself you know

Return to “Modifications”