[Mk2] [Turbo] rev3 ECU dyno comparison: Stock vs. MINES vs. SARD @ 10, 16 and 20

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Gary ST165

[Mk2] [Turbo] rev3 ECU dyno comparison: Stock vs. MINES vs. SARD @ 10, 16 and 20

Post by Gary ST165 »

rev3 ECU dyno comparison: Stock vs. MINES vs. SARD @ 10, 16 and 20psi

found this page recently: http://www.fl-mr2.com/engine.html

August 19th, 2004
I finPut my Gen 3 on the dyno today. I made multiple dyno runs at different boost levels on 3 different ECU's. I ran sessions on the stock ecu, a Mine's tuned ECU, and a SARD Analyze ECU. The Mine's ECU is the one I currently own and run in the car on a daily basis. I ran each ECU at 10psi, and 16psi. Then I ran the SARD and Mine's an additional run at 20psi, and 20psi with a gallon of xylene added. Only major problem I had was that the ct20b not holding the boost pressure. The turbo would hit 16psi but then after 4k rpm would drop to about 12-13psi, and when set to 20psi, it would hit 20psi and then at 4k rpm drop to about 15-16psi. So the initial torque you are seeing is basically at the boost pressure set, then the HP output at the lower boost pressure. Here are the results. A special thanks to XAT Racing for hosting the dyno.

and looked at the dyno comparisons for the 3 above mentioned ECU's at 10psi, 16psi and 20psi.

was really surprised by such small gains (and losses) over stock ecu:

jimGTS

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] rev3 ECU dyno comparison: Stock vs. MINES vs. SARD @ 10, 16 and 20

Post by jimGTS »

so at stock boost (16 dropping to 13psi) its making 250 atw.....

be nice to see those sort of numbers on a UK dyno thats for sure...

nice comparision tho, and goes to show that unless the ecu was mapped for the particular car, your not going to get much gains out of it...
JMR_AW11

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] rev3 ECU dyno comparison: Stock vs. MINES vs. SARD @ 10, 16 and 20

Post by JMR_AW11 »

I can decrypt the Techtom/Blitz/Geforce/Sard ECU EPROMs and I've looked at several ECUs now (MR2 Celica and Supra TT) and they usually don't change much in the stock code.

Eg a typical ECU removes the speed limiter, raises the rev limit to 8000rpm and maybe alters the fuel cut map.

Other changes are essential changes to the checksum and MCU mode.
(stock MCU runs mode 7 internal ROM, and the Sard etc run mode 2 external EPROM)

Any changes to the fuel and ignition mapping are usually minor so I'm not surprised to see little or no change in power.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

interesting..... :-k

he does however go on to say that with the mines ecu this.....

Current Fastest 1/4 Mile: 12.37 @ 112mph
Timeslips -
12.37 @ 112mph
My modifications that got me this time: Mines ECU, ARC Intake, Hux Racing Downpipe 2.5", SARD Turbo Exhaust, SARD BOV, SARD Trigger EBC set to 16psi, 8" SPAL fan on stock intercooler, ACT Stage 3 Clutch. Everything else engine wise is stock. Used 225-50/15 Yokohama ES100 tires in the rear, Tein H/A Coilovers, and 15" Volk TE37 wheels.

not a bad time for the above mods.... :-k
AdDaMan

Post by AdDaMan »

just luck of the draw at the end of the day buying a plug and play ecu like those. unless it came with the car straight from japan then there a big lottery. :?
Kongaroo

Post by Kongaroo »

I agree the SARD ECU results at 10PSI are a little disappointing but the results for the Mines ECU are quite good to be honest - he gained 13 WHP running at the same 16PSI boost level. That's not something easily achieved even with a tuneable ECU.

I think these ECUs have their place for squeezing out a little more power on a car still running standard injectors without the hassle of having to get it mapped. The rev 3+ ones also respond really well to increases in fuel octane without needing to change the map as (like the stock ECU) it adjusts the amount of ignition advance based on feedback from the knock sensor. This wouldn't happen on say a power FC.

I thought my previous Blitz ECU was great - running a generic CT20b map it even beat my dedicated Power FC map for peak power - 314WHP vs 308WHP at 18PSI and that was mapped on the same morning and the same tank of fuel too. On top of this my car was running an ATS TD06 turbo rather than the stock turbo the Blitz was mapped for.

If you aren't going to upgrade the injectors then they can be a pretty decent addition - so long as you make sure you have a wideband device+logger installed and can check the car isn't running dangerously lean.
sanke

Post by sanke »

Have you noticed that those tests were done with 93 ron rat p1$$ I shure with some decent fuel the stock, and pretty shure the others are learning ecu,s the timing would be advanced more and thus higher bhp numbers, and the aftermarket ecu,s would show a much better end figures.
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

mrtee wrote:interesting..... :-k

he does however go on to say that with the mines ecu this.....

Current Fastest 1/4 Mile: 12.37 @ 112mph
Timeslips -
12.37 @ 112mph
My modifications that got me this time: Mines ECU, ARC Intake, Hux Racing Downpipe 2.5", SARD Turbo Exhaust, SARD BOV, SARD Trigger EBC set to 16psi, 8" SPAL fan on stock intercooler, ACT Stage 3 Clutch. Everything else engine wise is stock. Used 225-50/15 Yokohama ES100 tires in the rear, Tein H/A Coilovers, and 15" Volk TE37 wheels.

not a bad time for the above mods.... :-k

really??? that is a good half a second faster than anything on this board with a stock turbo (thats not nos-ed up)...
weird... :?
jon

Post by jon »

sanke wrote:Have you noticed that those tests were done with 93 ron rat p1$$

Looks like the guy is in the US, so 93 RON over there isn't equivlant to 93 RON here in the UK, more like 97-98 RON.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rat ... nt_methods
diycinema

Post by diycinema »

Good point jon, i always wondered why the yanks had lower octane fuel.

Interesting comment from JMR_AW11 as well.

Return to “Modifications”