Getting at the rear speakers

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

flak monkey

Getting at the rear speakers

Post by flak monkey »

Stupid question probably, how the heck do you get to the rear speakers on the Mk1s?

I took the fixings out of the bit of trim but couldnt get it out (including the seatbelt guide), do I need to dismantle half the car? Or am I missing something obvious?

The drivers side rear speaker has a rattle when I turn the stereo up and its driving me loopy!

TIA,
David :)
Tony jinxy froude

Re: Getting at the rear speakers

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

:lol: It'll drive you loopy trying to remove them :thumleft: no its not too bad, you'll need to remove the metal strip & interior light on the roof of the car, then remove the rear kick panels next to the seats, then flick up the caps over the seat belt upper mountings & unto them with a 14mm socket or spanner, once the screws have been removed from the trim surrounding the quater windown pull at them gently to remove the clips which hold them to the 'C' posts, you will then see the speakers, let me know if you need standard replacement speakers i have some in stock, good luck, Jinxy
coverco

Post by coverco »

Tony jinxy froude wrote::lol: It'll drive you loopy trying to remove them :thumleft: no its not too bad, you'll need to remove the metal strip & interior light on the roof of the car, then remove the rear kick panels next to the seats, then flick up the caps over the seat belt upper mountings & unto them with a 14mm socket or spanner, once the screws have been removed from the trim surrounding the quater windown pull at them gently to remove the clips which hold them to the 'C' posts, you will then see the speakers, let me know if you need standard replacement speakers i have some in stock, good luck, Jinxy

Agree with above except on my car you do not need to remove the interior light and metal strip. Just remove the kick panels under the seat belt mount (2 screws). Remove the seatbelt top mount and remove the screws holding the rear quarter window surround, then prise and pull towards the front of the car. The original rear speakers are pretty rubbish and do sound a bit tinny and rattley (not sure if that spelling is correct).
Tony jinxy froude

Post by Tony jinxy froude »

The only reason i sugested removing the interior light trim Tom is that im sure the quarter window trim sits under the metal roof trim :-k of course i could be going bonkers & cant remember weather it sits on top or below #-o :lol: thats the problem with getting old :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , Jinxy
coverco

Post by coverco »

Tony jinxy froude wrote:The only reason i sugested removing the interior light trim Tom is that im sure the quarter window trim sits under the metal roof trim :-k of course i could be going bonkers & cant remember weather it sits on top or below #-o :lol: thats the problem with getting old :mrgreen: :mrgreen: , Jinxy

Don't worry Tony, I am old as well :D

The only reason I know it goes over the top is because I stripped out my rear interior last week as I am replacing my rear quarters, my interior light is still in as is the top strip. You even have to remove the rear carpet to drill out the spot welds on the in side :thumleft:
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

It is easier to remove the metal strip along the back of the seats where the coat hooks are, i'm sure the end screw holds the speaker panel in place.

If your upgrading i recommend the infinity kappa series 3.5", excellent speaker for its size with an external crossover.
coverco

Post by coverco »

un1eash wrote:It is easier to remove the metal strip along the back of the seats where the coat hooks are, i'm sure the end screw holds the speaker panel in place.

If your upgrading i recommend the infinity kappa series 3.5", excellent speaker for its size with an external crossover.

You do not have to remove this strip either, just take out the two screws attaching the quarter window panel to the ends of the strip.

Has anyone ever actually done this job or is it all guess work :D
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

Ive done it but it was 3 years ago, i put infinity kappa series 3.5" in the back and 4" in the front.
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

This has hit upon a point that I’m considering for my MK1a, as they have no rear speakers at all. So, is it possible to take the trim panel for the rear speakers from a MK1b and install it in a MK1a? ie are the fixing points the same?
coverco

Post by coverco »

Jimbo_Jet wrote:This has hit upon a point that I’m considering for my MK1a, as they have no rear speakers at all. So, is it possible to take the trim panel for the rear speakers from a MK1b and install it in a MK1a? ie are the fixing points the same?

Yes they are inter-changable :thumleft:
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Nice one! Cheers :D
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Cheers guys, Ill have a look tonight :)
Jimbo_Jet

Post by Jimbo_Jet »

Just so us MK1a’s know what’s what, am I correct in assuming that the rear speakers in the MK1b and actually attach to the plastic trim panel itself rather than to the chassis?

It’s just that I don’t want to get hold of some rear trim panels from a MK1b only to take mine off on my MK1a and find I’m missing some speaker mounting brackets on the chassis which the B would have.

Thanks
coverco

Post by coverco »

Jimbo_Jet wrote:Just so us MK1a’s know what’s what, am I correct in assuming that the rear speakers in the MK1b and actually attach to the plastic trim panel itself rather than to the chassis?

It’s just that I don’t want to get hold of some rear trim panels from a MK1b only to take mine off on my MK1a and find I’m missing some speaker mounting brackets on the chassis which the B would have.

Thanks

The speakers mount to the chassis in the 1b, I do not know if the 1a has the mounting points but I think the hole will be there, and as the roof is the same on both it will be possible to mount the speakers, although you might need some extra fixings. :D
jimi

Post by jimi »

No they don't, they are bolted to the bodywork, the trim panel is just a cover.
IMHO they are not worth the effort, too small to give any significant Bass/Mid range. After trying various speakers in there I ended up removing mine (and fitting some extra lighting behind the trim).
I have 6.5" Bass/Mid speakers in boxes behind the seats, now they do make a difference :thumleft:
Jimi
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
un1eash

Post by un1eash »

I have no space behind my seat for speaker box's plus i thort the sound stage would be strange with sound coming from behind the seat. A small active sub provides more then enough mid and bass. Ive got a alpine swd-1600 but i love my bass so I'm planning on getting myself a vibe SQ8 as it has quite abit of punch.
jimi

Post by jimi »

Soundstage is fine, its all bass ( which is non directional ) and the very bottom of the mid range I have coming through the boxes, fills out the sound nicely. Sounds a massive amount better than having speakers behind your head :wink:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Sorted, my rear right speaker is knackered. Got some uprated ones on their way anyway. The front ones had already been done, which was a nice suprise when I lifted the covers off the other night.

Reason I couldnt get the panel off is because of the screw behind the kick panel. :roll:

Cheers,
David
first-footer

Post by first-footer »

You sould save me a lot of work here .
Which speakers did you fit as repacements and what size are they ?

Ian
flak monkey

Post by flak monkey »

Fronts are 4", rears are 3.5". They need to be fairly low profile ones, but most of the aftermarket ones should fit.

I just got some of these (cheap ones!):
Click

Measuring up they should fit...

David

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”