[Mk2] [Generic] "Light" front end... and lower arm bushes?

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dan9

[Mk2] [Generic] "Light" front end... and lower arm bushes?

Post by dan9 »

Recently the front of my mk2 has started feeling a bit "light" - it's quite unnerving at motorway speeds!

I recently had all 4 tyres replaced, and had a 4 wheel laser alignment done.

I think it might be worn suspension components at the front end - although there doesn't seem to be any play in the wheel bearings and the track-rod ends and drop links etc look fine.

I haven't tested the balljoints, but I noticed that the front lower arm bushes are definately split, so I think I'll replace these anyway, even if not the entire cause of my problem. Are they a pig to remove/replace?

Can anyone recommend a place to buy (affordable) new bushes for my lower arms? The car is standard, so standard parts would be fine unless they are more expensive than upgraded poly items!

Any experience/advice on the "loose steering" issue would be welcome, as would advice on purchasing/fitting replacement bushes.

Thanks in advance!

Dan.
simmo490

Re: [Mk2] [Generic] "Light" front end... and lower arm bushes?

Post by simmo490 »

i would say after the alignment if ure front end is LIGHT ure tracking is gonna be out, probably towing out thus dragging you side to side and feeling light,
screech205

Post by screech205 »

Well seems to me if it was better before you had the tracking done then surely you are quite within your rights to take it back and get em to check it again. I've had to do it a couple of times with my gf's car as the first guy that did it set it so it was practically undriveable round left hand corners :shock:

Also check your tyre pressures and make sure they aren't sky high too

HTH

Steve
dan9

Post by dan9 »

Thanks for the suggestions, but the problem started before the tracking was checked. No changes were made at that time because it was pretty much spot on already.

It "feels" like a wheel bearing has worn, but there is no obvious play when I jack the car up.

I'll get it checked out by a garage in the week.
Chr15py
IMOC Organiser

Post by Chr15py »

I have noticed that my car has gradually become light at the front but I put this down to my topmounts being shagged. I'll find out next monday
Chris
Mr Rapey Banana WILL get you...oh yes! :)
dan9

Post by dan9 »

I took my car in to Millway Vehicle Services in Andover today (they have lots of MR2 experience) and they checked out my car for free! I've had some work done there on my NA in the past and they are quick, knowledgeable and reasonably priced (about 40 per hour inc VAT iirc) so I'll start with a free plug for them :)

Anyway, front end seems nice and tight - but apparently the rear ball joints are worn. That would explain the twitchy handling and the wear on the inner edge of the rear tyres (despite the 4 wheel alignment showing perfectly sensible caster/camber).

So... time to replace the rear ball joints. Can anyone recommend a supplier? Jeff @ flashmetal can get Toyota parts for 27 quid ish, there are some on ebay (that probably won't fit) for 15 which I should probably avoid.

Does anyone have experience of the 20 quid parts from SBITS / Twos R Us (apparently they use castle nuts). Or should I stop being a pikey and buy the Toyota parts?
screech205

Post by screech205 »

Pretty much all the stuff from sBits is OEm quality if not better so there should be no worries there. I've used cheapie ones before and they work just fine TBH so it's really up to you!

I can't understand why the place did a full alignment check on your car though and didn't check for play in the wheels beforehand :-k Seems a strange way of doing things!

Steve
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Pop into 3S they did mine very reasonably :thumleft:
dan9

Post by dan9 »

Fitted new rear balljoints, but still twitchy!

Fairly sure it's the front end now, perhaps it is the lower arm bushes wearing out after all.

Anyone ever swapped these, either the entire arm ($$) or just the bushes for some poly ones? Is it an easy DIY job?
screech205

Post by screech205 »

Probably wants tracking up again mate ](*,)

Give it a few days before you do so it can bed in then go and get it checked again

Steve
dan9

Post by dan9 »

Thanks for the suggestion - and I'm sure the rear does need tracking again - but if you drove my car you'd realise something FAR more serious was wrong! In fact I probably shouldn't be driving it!

Under braking or hard acceleration it seems to tug at the steering wheel a bit. This was a symptom of worn wishbone bushes on my 205gti (although much more severe because it is FWD) so I think something at the front is worn out but not sure which thing!

I'm guessing these things don't wear out very often on MR2s... the bushes are about 10 time larger compared to the 205 for starters...
Greddy-Matt

Post by Greddy-Matt »

Maybe get the front strut to chassis bushes checked in that case, can get poly ones for penuts now! Other than that if your top mounts and everything else is in good nick I'd seriously start looking for play in the steering rack etc :thumleft:
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Just a thought...

How're your tyres?

I had a Capri which had a "twisted" tyre on it, and by god that think pulled in wierd ways. Bushes and alignment all checked out. Swapped wheels and tyres, and it was perfect.
dan9

Post by dan9 »

Spanking new tyres!
RichardK

Post by RichardK »

Did it get worse after the new tyres were fitted? It's not the age, it's the fitting that counts ;)
dan9

Post by dan9 »

Tyres are fitted well. Definately worn components up front, it's "wobbly" rather than just pulling. I'll MOT it soon and see what it fails on!
3S Service Centre

Post by 3S Service Centre »

Pop in some time Dan will take a look for you.
James
call James on 01256 883386 or 07786073755

Return to “Mechanical”