[Mk2] [Turbo] How the hell does the radiator come out!! GAAAAHHAAHH!!!

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

RyanRs

[Mk2] [Turbo] How the hell does the radiator come out!! GAAAAHHAAHH!!!

Post by RyanRs »

i want to change the 2 hoses up the top for me new samco ones.. but holy heck.. i cannot find a single way of moving the radiator without damaging something!!

the AC rad is at the front, this has barely any movement due to the metal connecting pipes, which obv cannot be removed!

the rad itsself could slide up from the back , IF the fans were not there! there is no way of removing the fans without removing the rad 1st!!

http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/ ... stem/6.htm -looks soo simple here, if only there REALLY was that much access to the coolant pipes!!

access is crap! all i wana do is change 2 poxy hoses :@:@ GAhHH ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] How the hell does the radiator come out!! GAAAAHHAAHH!!!

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

you can take the fans off. 1 fitting up top, 2 below on each fan.

Once they're off, remove the temp sensor plug, and lift the rad from the bottom to remove it from the rubber mounts. Then pull out from the bottom.
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

hehe, enjoy the bloodied knuckes Ryan! I fvcking hate changing rads... always cut myself to sh!t on the fins lol
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

when i changed my rad i did everything from underneath....so much easier, my only problem was the stupid toyota clamps....they were a major pain to get off and back on....

good luck
My gt-s

Post by My gt-s »

Yup know what u mean, I cut the hoses and removed the whole front 1st and it was still a PITA. Those nipponese must have bloody small hands!!!
By the way, (sorry to hijack), but if u need to change your normal rad and twin fans I have them in good cond, £65 delivered for the lot, gettin rid.

RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

haha thanx for the help everyone... Ant - i know what you mean, i dropped a spanner down the back of a rad on an old car once and basically 'Cheeze grated' my hand trying to get it out!!

Its obv bad karma getting the better of me with this mr2 rad, as last week i had to change the Rad in me dads subaru, i had never done a impreza one before ,yet it took me 45 min from start to finish (inc coolant change) in the pitch black & freezing cold.. well i bragged about how skilled i am to me parents a bit (in joking way ovcourse:roll: ) and now karmas getting its own back on me! lol
cantfindausername

Post by cantfindausername »

lol lesson there is to never blow your own trumpet lol
***RIP Car13 ***
*** Now in an Evo ***
mrfil13

Post by mrfil13 »

As said, take off the fans and connectors, take off the 2 jubilee clips on the firewall side, drop the rad through the bottom, remove the hose's and clips when the rad is out. Obviously use new clips. If you dont have one maybe try getting one of those jubilee clip remover things that allow you to squeeze them together further away, i dont have a clue what they are called but i wish i had them when i did mine.

Biggest pain on mine was trying to remove a jubilee clip looking up at the car from under it and right where i needed to be coolant was dripping down onto me.
RyanRs

Post by RyanRs »

lol ..ok well job done now. tbh, its a right pita!! the two hoses under the car was just as bad too as there is barely any access (while laying on your back) to get any sort of pliers in there to remove / re-fit the clips.. i had to kill all 4 of the old hoses to get them off in the end.

had to put up with a lot of these aswel while doing the job....

when i took off the undertray, there was a huge house spider web there, kinda put me off knowing it was bout 2" from my face while i was working, lucklly i didnt see the residents tho!! lol
tomwoodis

rad

Post by tomwoodis »

Just had my main radiator and the one for the chargecooler replaced. Garage that did it found a pair of pliers sandwiched between them :shock: God knows how long they have been in there.

Guessing thats probably why I got a leak in my rather expensive ARC radiator :(
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

That'll be who ever done your chargecooler! :shock:

Return to “Mechanical”