[Mk2] [Turbo] Grooved and Potted Discs, which ones?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

SW20Paul

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Grooved and Potted Discs, which ones?

Post by SW20Paul »

What track did you do Marc to reach 160mph the straight must be huge :shock:
Harry

Post by Harry »

SW20Paul wrote:What track did you do Marc to reach 160mph the straight must be huge :shock:

There are one or two tracks that offer that opportunity and knowing Marc's MR 2 160 mph would come like a flash!; and with a final drive call it the Mark Edwards final drive kit! :twisted: 185 mph! :twisted: He he he... :D
lower

Post by lower »

Spend your money on decent pads first, then look at the discs.

You can't anodise iron, so if the ebay specials said they're annodised, they either don't know what they're talking about or you're buying aluminium discs :pale:

You can get plated ones, but i'm using BDA 4000 series discs at the moment that come with the hub centre painted with a heat proof paint.

But what is more useful is that they also come with heat paint markings on the outside of the disc so you can see what temperature the discs are getting to.

With Ferodo DS2500 pads, my discs were exceeding 630 degrees C at Rockingham last time i was there. At those sort of temperatures (at which even the DBA discs are technically overheating) you can see why drilled discs crack.

Moo wrote:I'm just about to overhaul my brakes and was planning on going with drilled and grooved disks but after reading this I think I'll stick with stock and just change the hoses for braided ones.

One thing that did appeal about the disks I was looking at (Ebay specials :oops: ) was that they were anodised and wont go rusty. If there's one thing that makes your wheels looks untidy it's rusy disks. Is there a way of stopping this happening with the standard disks?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”