Replacing "B" panels behind rear arches...

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dan9

Replacing "B" panels behind rear arches...

Post by dan9 »

Hi...

I used to own a mk2 (SW20)... : )

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dan9/3880392/

...but downgraded to a Pug 205 for financial reasons. I'm really enjoying the feel of a "light" car - but miss RWD!

I've found a nice mk1 (AW11) locally, but it will need the panels behind the rear wheel arches (below the bumper, around the exhaust) welding/replacing. I can't do this myself, but understand I can get replacement panels from mr2dc (are these the correct ones?).

Has anyone any experience of getting this area welded? Can anyone suggest a figure I might expect to pay for the welding and painting?

Search didn't turn up much - thought I'd ask the question directly...

Thanks in advance for any advice,

Dan.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Re: Replacing "B" panels behind rear arches...

Post by Lauren »

From the MK1 Club (not the DC!!!):
http://www.mr2mk1club.com/panels.html

Obviously quotes will vary on getting the work done but if its just the rear return panels then it ought not to be that much.

I paid £550 to have all three section replaced on both sides. Obviously the amount you pay depends a bit on how well you want it done. Are you sure the rear arches don't need replacing too? If they are bubbling at all this means they have rotted from the inside out.
2020 GR Yaris - Circuit Pack :lover:
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

the DC do infact have panels but only available to members and it now costs £33.00 a year :shock:
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

kevin..in wrote:the DC do infact have panels but only available to members and it now costs £33.00 a year :shock:

But why pay membership just so you can get replacement panels, when going to JDG direct would save you joining?
kevin..in

Post by kevin..in »

Lauren wrote:
kevin..in wrote:the DC do infact have panels but only available to members and it now costs £33.00 a year :shock:

But why pay membership just so you can get replacement panels, when going to JDG direct would save you joining?
that was my point :wink: 'course if you like flower festivals :lol: :lol:
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Lauren wrote:From the MK1 Club (not the DC!!!):

Obviously quotes will vary on getting the work done but if its just the rear return panels then it ought not to be that much.

I paid £550 to have all three section replaced on both sides. Obviously the amount you pay depends a bit on how well you want it done. Are you sure the rear arches don't need replacing too? If they are bubbling at all this means they have rotted from the inside out.

HI Lauren was that on the old dark blue one?

I am trying to work out if all my rust repair and repaint (ideally a respray but a repaint of affected areas would be ok for a year or two) is economically viable, or whether to just track down another mk1 cheap with a better body (less rust - though of course it will have some) and then fix that up.

Failing that I could try and source a mint Jap Sc-er again but high prices and akward insurance put me off this time.

Cheers
Paul T
88mr2 Sc Conversion
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Sharpfish wrote:
Lauren wrote:From the MK1 Club (not the DC!!!):

HI Lauren was that on the old dark blue one?

I am trying to work out if all my rust repair and repaint (ideally a respray but a repaint of affected areas would be ok for a year or two) is economically viable, or whether to just track down another mk1 cheap with a better body (less rust - though of course it will have some) and then fix that up.

Failing that I could try and source a mint Jap Sc-er again but high prices and akward insurance put me off this time.

Cheers
Paul T
88mr2 Sc Conversion

Hi Paul... :shock: Long time no hear!!

the repair work was on my current car, red na its all on my webshite, if you want to see what was replaced etc.

I think if the car is reasonably good, then you may as well get it repaired, because if you go and buy another then it'll either have been repaired or will need repairs around the rear wing area.

why not post some pics up then we can see how bad it is.
Sharpfish

Post by Sharpfish »

Cheers Lauren... yeah long time (moved house again back down south wales!)

One side isn't "too bad" from a few feat back it looks fine for example. The passenger side rear is BAD though, the first part has a hole in it - the wing itself is bubbling up (even crumbling a bit) and the rear part is passable.

I know it all needs sorting as it has set in (as can be expected) - so I will defo need new wings, though maybe cutting out the bad part and using those F/G covers may suffice... I want the job done properly that's for sure - which means possible taking all the rust back as far as I can find (maybe a sandblast on the whole rear quarter lowers). Which is going to cost, I know. I was just trying to gauge a rough price for a "decent job" (with me doing most of the labour except the welding and spraying ;) )

I hope to have it back to form for this summer.

cheers
dan9

Post by dan9 »

This looks the work I need to do:

http://www.cardiganwebhosting.co.uk/mam ... el%20Work/

Do many people have experience of this?

How much might it cost to get a "crude" job done by a professional? Can anyone recommend someone in the south east?

Ta in advance,

Dan.
Lauren
IMOC Committee

Post by Lauren »

Paul, i've heard (though i haven't seen any results) that the FG ones don't tend to finish well, though i guess others will be better able to advise on this.

I went for the JDG panels, but i replaced all 3 sections, ie the rear part, the wheelarch & the triangle immediately ahead of the rear arch. I think the trouble is that once you start investigating how bad the rust is, it nearly always tends to be worse IYSWIM.

If you can cut away the rust and do the prep work i don't see why you couldn't drastically reduce the costs. for the £550 i paid, i also had quite a few other bits done, like repairs and respraying to the front wings and valence as well as the bumpers sprayed black etc..
ldavies83

Post by ldavies83 »

dan9 wrote:This looks the work I need to do:

http://www.cardiganwebhosting.co.uk/mam ... el%20Work/

Do many people have experience of this?

How much might it cost to get a "crude" job done by a professional? Can anyone recommend someone in the south east?

Ta in advance,

Dan.

:shock: Blimey your the single visitor on the website :lol:

I gained the information I needed to do the Job myself through people on IMOC. Laurens website was a big help, as was JDG panels advice, they were really friendly and knew their eggs.

As far as the DC panels, they are the panels supposedly that MrT will fit should you take your car in for rust work to the arches, as MrT have given the nod to the panels. This is heresay, through my vague mind, however I do remember it being discussed in a club magazine in the last year, cant remember when though!

Stick close by dan here, you cant go wrong :)
dan9

Post by dan9 »

Lauren wrote:the trouble is that once you start investigating how bad the rust is, it nearly always tends to be worse

Oh bu88er :-k

Can i get through an MOT by just removing the sharp edges (gaffer tape or something)?

Is there much chance of my mk1b having structural rust? The rest of the bodywork *looks* fine:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dan9/tags/mr2/

Thanks for all the replies so far - IMOC members will no doubt be very useful - and I hope I will have the opportunity to contribute soon!

Dan.
crazylegs

Post by crazylegs »

dan i would take the prices with a pinch of salt.this is the south east ! think of the labour costs in hours and you will see these figures wont work.time to cut out the corners, treat the area,fit the panels,weld the panels,grind the welds, fill the marks,prime,rub down ,prime, rub down,paint,rub down, paint,laquer and polish.you might get it done at £300-400 each side for a good job. if you want a top quality repair PM me and i will give you the number of a small workshop.they never advertise and only work on top end cars but the owner slips in the odd mk1 to break up the bordom of yet another porsche,rolls or lambo.
aw11ian

Post by aw11ian »

ive just got mine back from bodyshop,had 2 front wings,bumper bar,rad fitted,rear arches both sides,triangle in front of arches both sides,1 little panel behind arch,and both side sills done.
a airscoop fitted and a full respray and it cost 1500 quid.
this was done at bmautobodies in bury lancashire.
they did a great job too imo

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”