Petrol

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

blogsy

Petrol

Post by blogsy »

I'm getting my Apexi Avc-r plus Apexi FC and rev 3 turbo mapped on a rolling road next weekend. All standard apart from st205 charge cooler, 255 fuel pump, exhaust and filter. I was wondering if i should fill up with any particular fuel on the way there. Shell Tesco99 BP97. What one is regarded the best for our cars. Thanks
pbmr2

Re: Petrol

Post by pbmr2 »

you need to have it mapped for the fuel you will use the most. so some flavor of super unleaded. If you normally use Tesco 99 then map it with that, or if you normally use Vpower then map with that in.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

:thumleft:
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

You should always be using V-power or Tesco momentum on even standard turbo engines to get the most out of them, not just for mapping :thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Martin F wrote:You should always be using V-power or Tesco momentum on even standard turbo engines to get the most out of them, not just for mapping :thumleft:

No question ... this is a must :thumleft:
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

Personally I use V power but I know my car was mapped on 97 Ron as the petrol station next to the garage only has that. Slightly annoying as I'm sure I said use v power. They ran the car in on the dyno for me so I guess they just used the closest petrol station for ease.

On the flip side I know what the car can take on 97 Ron so I feel it will be okay on 99 running similar boost etc.
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

I think Shell V-power is 97. Would Tesco 99 be the best of the premium fuels as it say 99.
Martin F
IMOC Moderator

Post by Martin F »

blogsy wrote:I think Shell V-power is 97. Would Tesco 99 be the best of the premium fuels as it say 99.

V-Power is 99 and I have always chosen it over the others but Tesco momentum is 99 as well, it would be my 2nd choice though unless I didn't have v-power available :thumleft:
blogsy

Post by blogsy »

Sorted :thumleft:
markstevieandmads

Post by markstevieandmads »

I normally use vpower shell with my turbo as its the nearest garage but i did use tesco momentum once and the car absolutely flew with it.
Because of this, when i fit a ct20b and chargecooler im gonna fit water meth too to up the octane.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

You could always add a bit of toluene or something similar to boost your octane level.

http://www.serioussolutions.com/evo/octcalc.htm
Draven

Post by Draven »

As the boy's have said.. always use 99 ron fuel.. Get the car mapped for that and don't use any less.
Draven

Post by Draven »

Poker Face wrote:You could always add a bit of toluene or something similar to boost your octane level.

http://www.serioussolutions.com/evo/octcalc.htm

But if he's getting it mapped then he'd have to stick toluene in every single time he filled up or he risks (in the worst situation) det.
Poker Face

Post by Poker Face »

I meant if he's struggling to get 99 Ron then add a small amount to make it 99 Ron. That's why I put the calculator up.
I have to agree it could be a pain to keep adding octane booster everytime you fill up, it was only an idea.

If it's mapped on 97 he may see less power but at least it's easy to get. Like I said mine was done on 97 but I always put in v power. Annoyingly I was just shy of 300rwp and I can't help but think I'd have made it on v power.
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

V power nitro ain't 99 ron anymore, that's why they took it off the name. I've used Tesco momentum 99 for years no problems. Plus it's usually 3p cheaper per gallon. That's not to say there is anything wrong with Shell, if i can't find tesco i use shell.

Just they are not touting 99 anymore. I think its 98 ron
Race Idiot

Post by Race Idiot »

I honestly can't tell the difference between the shell and the tesco stuff. My car seems to love whatever they have at the pumps at bedford autodrome though! :lol:
Odin_S

Post by Odin_S »

androo007

Post by androo007 »

Shell is still 99
C35Rob

Post by C35Rob »

years ago when I had a tuned Saab 93 aero it had a rather handy OPENSID ecu readout as part of the remap, basically you can access all of the ECU trims, readouts etc through the MFD on the dash.

the times when I filled up with tesco 99 it was noticeably worse than on V power, the ecu was pulling boost, lower torque request etc - put V power back in and it was back to normal. add a little xylene and toluene on top of the V power and it was better still 8)

although if V power has been reformulated then that may be irrelevant now.
EX MR2 owner, currently on a '00 Honda CBR600 Follow me on Instagram @c35rob
Draven

Post by Draven »

What I find frustrating is that Shell don't actually list the RON rating of V-Power anywhere that I can find. Which is a little frustrating. I know for a fact that previously V-Power was 97 RON not 99 like Tesco.

I can only find details via third parties not Shell themselves. Their website is just a load of crap with no actual specs on their fuel at all.

I use Tesco 99 ron. The Evo drinks it like it is leaking. :mrgreen:

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”