Stuck in low boost mode rev1 turbo

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

wilko1985

Stuck in low boost mode rev1 turbo

Post by wilko1985 »

Hi guys

Need some advice, I believe my rev 1 turbo is stuck in low boost mode .

So far I've changed the plugs, dizzy cap and rotar arm but still no success.

Previous work on the car in the year was a walbro 255 (hopefully genuine), new ht leads, decat, and IC

I've tried checking for error codes, but for whatever reason nothing is displaying. Not sure if the connectors are broke on this.

My car has a manual boost valve and it looks as if the tvsv valves have been cut and plugged up.

Anybody got any ideas? Without being able to check for error codes I haven't got a clue....

Cheers
Chris
Mike N

Re: Stuck in low boost mode rev1 turbo

Post by Mike N »

If you have a basically std spec engine but have fitted a walbro 255 pump, the engine will run way too rich and kill the power and bore wash the engine.

I would suggest you either run a stand alone ecu to controll the extra fueling and do all the tuning stuff or return pump to std and then start looking for running issues.

Since you have the manual boost valve, check for air leaks in the pipe runs. The TSV should be blocked off if you run more than std boost.

As with any turbocharged engine check for air leaks in the pipework system and intercooler from turbo to inlet by blocking off and pressurising system with air.
Al-sw20

Post by Al-sw20 »

Open the boost valve. I assume you have a boost gauge that shows you only running 7psi?

Disabling the t/vsv puts it in low boost mode so you can then wind more boost in it.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Al-sw20 wrote:Open the boost valve. I assume you have a boost gauge that shows you only running 7psi?

Disabling the t/vsv puts it in low boost mode so you can then wind more boost in it.

Yep .. you need to look at the boost controller bud :thumleft:

Mbc's can cease up :whistle: and bleed valves can clog #-o
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

You'll always be stuck in low boost mode with the tvsv disabled.

That is the point of a boost controller to then raise the boost.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

jimGTS wrote:You'll always be stuck in low boost mode with the tvsv disabled.

That is the point of a boost controller to then raise the boost.

He says he has a boost controller Jim .. mabe its faulty 8-[
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

Cheers guys

I had the boost tested last week ano it's coming out about 10-12 psi on their gauges. However, even though they said that's the pressure (from the manual boost gauge screw pipe work) the power on acceleration is still hugely down.

I might be looking in the wrong area... but it's always the same power as when it's cold. This has only started happening the past few weeks really. Prior to that it was absolutely fine. Then it went to boost as normal (when warm) and it dipped hugely.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Hi mate what revision mr2 do you have .. and what form of boost control are you using .
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

2mad wrote:Hi mate what revision mr2 do you have .. and what form of boost control are you using .

Hi mate, it's a 1990 rev 1. My knowledge is shocking to be honest, but looking at what has been installed it's got a brass valve which can be used to manually adjust the boost. Without putting a metre on it there's no way of knowing myself, but the guy I take it too said he pressure tested and turned it up to 12 psi..... it definitely does not feel like that . Ha. Maybe through the valve it's doing 12psi...

I checked last night whether it might be something to do with the tvsv but after finding it that seems to have been blocked off and capped up. The guy who owned it before me was a btcc engineer so seems to have made a very tidy job of it.

My dad did decide to hose the engine down noto so long ago.... I'm thinking he may have soaked and ruined an electrical component somewhere?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

wilko1985 wrote:
2mad wrote:Hi mate what revision mr2 do you have .. and what form of boost control are you using .

Hi mate, it's a 1990 rev 1. My knowledge is shocking to be honest, but looking at what has been installed it's got a brass valve which can be used to manually adjust the boost. Without putting a metre on it there's no way of knowing myself, but the guy I take it too said he pressure tested and turned it up to 12 psi..... it definitely does not feel like that . Ha. Maybe through the valve it's doing 12psi...

I checked last night whether it might be something to do with the tvsv but after finding it that seems to have been blocked off and capped up. The guy who owned it before me was a btcc engineer so seems to have made a very tidy job of it.

My dad did decide to hose the engine down noto so long ago.... I'm thinking he may have soaked and ruined an electrical component somewhere?

Buying a boost gauge will help .. i would not advise turning it up till you have one ... if you have a fcd 14psi is a good place to be on a rev1 .

If it was electrical the engine electrical light would light up on your dash .
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

Yea I'm trying to decide how muche more money I want to sink into it. I suppose I've gone this far.... ha

Ah ok I see. Would a possibly faulty sensor bring up a light? I'd check for an error code but for some reason it's not working any more.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

I would bet money its just your boost controller at fault .. BUT .. 12psi is quite healthy ... maybe it just needs adjusting 8-[
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Does the engine light come on when you turn the key to the second click before starting?
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

I hope so, the rest of the car is tip top. Once this is done I can finally get it on the track.
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

thomp1983 wrote:Does the engine light come on when you turn the key to the second click before starting?

I'm not actually sure but I'll double check tonight when I get home
2mad

Post by 2mad »

thomp1983 wrote:Does the engine light come on when you turn the key to the second click before starting?

Very good question .. bulbs can pop ](*,)
wilko1985

Post by wilko1985 »

2mad wrote:

Very good question .. bulbs can pop ](*,)

Success, I managed to get the engine management light to report.... does this mean anything to anyone? There's no break just a continuous on off

youtu.be/TUiT4hfws98

PS I broke up the link as it won't let me post them fully.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

A constant blinking means there's no fault code. The only free thing you can do is fully check all boost and vacuum lines for splits
2mad

Post by 2mad »

thomp1983 wrote:A constant blinking means there's no fault code. The only free thing you can do is fully check all boost and vacuum lines for splits

Yes .. this should defiantly be on your list of things to do .. check the bov too.
masterbateson

Post by masterbateson »

Mike N wrote:If you have a basically std spec engine but have fitted a walbro 255 pump, the engine will run way too rich and kill the power and bore wash the engine.

I would suggest you either run a stand alone ecu to controll the extra fueling and do all the tuning stuff or return pump to std and then start looking for running issues.

Is this right???? :shock: I wouldnt have thought fitting a better rated pump would have any effect Doesnt the car have a pressure regulator on it? and doesnt unused just go back in the tank? and finally dont the injectors regulate how much fuel is supplied per stroke? :?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”