Replacing stock REV5 wheels with new - what suits beige/champagne?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

matt5cott

Replacing stock REV5 wheels with new - what suits beige/champagne?

Post by matt5cott »

Any suggestions all?

I've been looking at rota Grid / D1, everything else seems to be an utter pain to get the right size / widths :roll: Work emotion D9Rs look great and I think would suit well, but again, pain to get ](*,)

Here's how it sits now, I was thinking 17s as I don't want to ruin the ride, the car is pretty much stock, but I'd consider slightly lower springs too.

Thanks.
aussieGT

Re: Replacing stock REV5 wheels with new - what suits beige/champagne?

Post by aussieGT »

Nice car! How long have you had that?
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

aussieGT wrote:Nice car! How long have you had that?

Cheers, 13 years.
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Work wheels are easy to get - just give Driftworks £1000 or so, tell them which spec you want, and a couple months later they'll turn up at your door!

Any reason you want to go for a brand new set? There's loads of great wheels on the 2nd hand market. Tatty sets are cheaper, and as long as they are straight, you can get them refurbed to your own taste with the money you've saved over buying new.
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

Gazza_DJ wrote:Work wheels are easy to get - just give Driftworks £1000 or so, tell them which spec you want, and a couple months later they'll turn up at your door!

Any reason you want to go for a brand new set? There's loads of great wheels on the 2nd hand market. Tatty sets are cheaper, and as long as they are straight, you can get them refurbed to your own taste with the money you've saved over buying new.

Nice, I've just looked again and you're spot on, I didn't realise I could order them in :lol: thanks :thumleft:

2nd hand I've no issue with really, just nothing has come up that takes my fancy, or if it has it's as expensive as a brand new set!
craig

Post by craig »

Nice car! :thumleft:

Agree with the above, no real reason to get brand new wheels.

I picked up a set of Enkei RP-01 wheels, spec:

17x8 ET38
17x9 ET38

for £365 delivered.

This was the wheels when I bought them:

Pretty tatty and curb rashed.

Another £200 thrown at them, had them fully repaired and refurbished in Volk TE37 style bronze with black Enkei decals. Looking much better here:

So, just over £550 all in for a brand new set of staggered Enkei RP-01s.

:thumleft:
SonicSW20

Post by SonicSW20 »

Bargains are out there, that's for sure. My 16inch Advan SA3's cost me £180 with tyres. Refurb was a little more than average as they are splits, and they needed some serious work (cracked barrel). Still, can't get them new anymore!
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

Can i call dibs on your rev 5 wheels if you sell them?
matt5cott

Post by matt5cott »

thomp1983 wrote:Can i call dibs on your rev 5 wheels if you sell them?

If I sell yes, I'm not sure what state they're in tbh, could they be refurbed? Probably, but they've absolutely seen better days :lol:
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Great looking car and rare colour really suits it.

Craig love the wheels that's just what I am after, will keep looking. :D
Nic

Post by Nic »

There's a staggered set of 16" Volk TE37 for sale on Yahoo Auctions Japan at the moment.

http://www.nengun.com/auction/item/x435681722
Nic
[email protected]
MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Well spotted Nic, will take a look.
2barGee

Post by 2barGee »

matt5cott wrote:Any suggestions all?

I've been looking at rota Grid / D1, everything else seems to be an utter pain to get the right size / widths :roll: Work emotion D9Rs look great and I think would suit well, but again, pain to get ](*,)

Here's how it sits now, I was thinking 17s as I don't want to ruin the ride, the car is pretty much stock, but I'd consider slightly lower springs too.

Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.chasethedevil.co.uk/url/mr2.jpg
Image Replaced With URL For Quote http://www.chasethedevil.co.uk/url/mr21.jpg

Thanks.

I'd go for 15's or 16's mate to keep the ride quality and handling. 17's feel pants compared and lets be fair its all about the driving feel in an mr2.

Love the colour of your car mate, so rare!!!!!!
Last edited by 2barGee on Sun Mar 27, 2016 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sonic1999

wheels

Post by sonic1999 »

well I have a standard rev5 NA and had factory wheels on which where looking tired so after long search found s/h set of lenso 17 inch so did deal on them , (picture in garage) well what can I say it was like driving a different car ! so pleased with ride handling no regrets
Rob66

Re: wheels

Post by Rob66 »

sonic1999 wrote:well I have a standard rev5 NA and had factory wheels on which where looking tired so after long search found s/h set of lenso 17 inch so did deal on them , (picture in garage) well what can I say it was like driving a different car ! so pleased with ride handling no regrets

Looking good, suit the colour.
sonic1999

wheels

Post by sonic1999 »

Thanks rob took 6 mths looking but worth it they not mint but ok , just wish new how to get photo on here ?
2barGee

Re: wheels

Post by 2barGee »

sonic1999 wrote:well I have a standard rev5 NA and had factory wheels on which where looking tired so after long search found s/h set of lenso 17 inch so did deal on them , (picture in garage) well what can I say it was like driving a different car ! so pleased with ride handling no regrets

The problem with 15's are the tyre selection is utter garbage!!! So your probably running better tyres now so it feels better
sonic1999

wheels

Post by sonic1999 »

True gee man the stock wheels had cheap nasty tires on with tall profiles the 17 inch now run 40s which I feel best suited for feel and handling
cosmos

Rev5 wheels

Post by cosmos »

Hi Matt i also purchased my Rev 5 Tubby import in 2003 and it did sport some Work wheels and since have bought Work vs xx 17" 8" + 9" et35 which is the limit for flush fitting, camber bolt kit would be good for my rears but always i shy away from fitting at the thought of arch rolling regards splitting the paint not least because i had a full respray £3,000+. Archenemy seem to be good for some and not others.
Good Hunting...
cosmos

Rev5 wheels

Post by cosmos »

Hi Matt i also purchased my Rev 5 Tubby import in 2003 and it did sport some Work wheels and since have bought Work vs xx 17" 8" + 9" et35 which is the limit for flush fitting, camber bolt kit would be good for my rears but always i shy away from fitting at the thought of arch rolling regards splitting the paint not least because i had a full respray £3,000+. Archenemy seem to be good for some and not others.
Good Hunting...

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”