Turbo Technics Rebuild/Upgrade thoughts?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Odin_S

Re: Turbo Technics Rebuild/Upgrade thoughts?

Post by Odin_S »

In all honesty, i dont think the GT28 is worth the upgrade from a CT20,

If you are going for all the forged business, i would get a 3071 at least or a Borg Precision equivalent.

I reference i have a 3076R on mine last year after 6 years on a healthy CT20b, you do lose spool at 3000RPM but the pull from 4000RPM is just naughty :D And i'm a slow driver
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

SteveH wrote:Anyone used any of their hybrid turbos? I've seen mixed things online

I have had mixed experience with TT in different cars.

First one I had was great and lasted many years and did lots of miles (maybe more than the original turbo). :D

Second one was a standard service exchange CT20. It was hardly used for a couple of years by previous owner of the car who fitted it himself. Then I started using it as a daily driver. Turbo only lasted about 30,000 miles in total.

Third one was a standard service exchange CT20. It was used by an imoc member for about 1000 miles running in an engine. It only lasted around 3,500 miles in my car :shock:

The next turbo was rebuilt by Universal Turbos.
SteveH wrote:
Considering their CT20 with some nice things inside

TT redesigned their hybrids this year so to be fair there cant be many on the road yet to get real world comments on the performance and durability.
rev3gtturbo

Post by rev3gtturbo »

2mad wrote:Fensport do a few nice hybrid ct20b's (well at least they used to) I wouldnt use tt again after they lied to me :mad:

I considered a Fensport turbo this year when the website said they were "in stock", but only for a Stage 1 Hybrid.
I was interested as it would have reduced the time my car was off the road.

Phoned them up, they have none in stock and nothing waiting for a rebuild, but will rebuild a turbo sent to them to the customer specification.
I pointed out the website error.
Alex O

Post by Alex O »

I have a TT reconditioned turbo on my rev3. Aside from steel shaft it's completely standard.

Works floorlessly, perhaps slightly more laggy, but I have had it on there for 4 years and about 20,000 miles so far. Car only comes out occasionally, driven hard and put away again.

So - I'm very happy with my TT turbo

Easily as fast as it ever was, my friends RS4 has nothing on it up to xxx
2mad

Post by 2mad »

Alex O wrote:I have a TT reconditioned turbo on my rev3. Aside from steel shaft it's completely standard.

Works floorlessly, perhaps slightly more laggy, but I have had it on there for 4 years and about 20,000 miles so far. Car only comes out occasionally, driven hard and put away again.

So - I'm very happy with my TT turbo

Easily as fast as it ever was, my friends RS4 has nothing on it up to xxx

Thats all id ask tt to do steel shaft 360 thrust bearing .. new beerings and seals .. job done .. even they cant fc-uk that up ... you'd think 8-[
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Just to clarify...a steel shaft is always standard! There was, is, and never will be a CT26 without a steel shaft. The only thing of any import that was made out of a different material was the turbine wheel (usdm = Inconel, jdm = ceramic)

:thumleft:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

This mith has always troubled me .. how can a shaft be ceramic :?: maybe steel with a ceramic center (composite ) .. any thoughts .. and yes i know the turbine is ceramic.

I know from stripping my turbo the ct20b has a very thin shaft compared to a ct26 .
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

'I know from stripping my turbo the ct20b has a very thin shaft compared to a ct26 .'
Yep, because the turbine wheel was lighter.

Where the myth came from? Probably the same place the twin turbo myth came from :lol:

Technically it may be possible to use a shaft composed of a ceramic compound or cerametallic alloy.........any experts care to comment?
2mad

Post by 2mad »

mr2magic wrote:
'I know from stripping my turbo the ct20b has a very thin shaft compared to a ct26 .'
Yep, because the turbine wheel was lighter.

Where the myth came from? Probably the same place the twin turbo myth came from :lol:

Technically it may be possible to use a shaft composed of a ceramic compound or cerametallic alloy.........any experts care to comment?

Yes id like to hear opinions to, this myth has bugged me for years .
alex687

Post by alex687 »

Sorry I've posted this in two threads but it's relevant in both: I Got my "standard" ct26 back from TT today and thought I'd share with you a load of pics.

as you can see, the turbine has seen better days. both the turbine and compressor are not magnetic - that mean they are ceramic?. TT told me it had a ceramic shaft... looks and feels like steel to me and it is magnetic.

Any help identifying whether this is a hybrid or what's been done to it much appreciated. TT told me the compressor wheel and housing are standard but having done plenty of googling I have to disagree.
2mad

Post by 2mad »

7 bladed compressor is not standard :thumleft: .. ceramic turbine ... not sure about compressor 8-[

" but having done plenty of googling I have to disagree. " .. me too.
Last edited by 2mad on Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

A magnetic cermaic shaft?

Think I'll be staying away from TT ](*,)
2mad

Post by 2mad »

SteveH wrote:A magnetic cermaic shaft?

Think I'll be staying away from TT ](*,)

Defo ... tt are lieing sods .. just my opinion :thumleft:
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

P.s. that turbine isn't ceramic either.....with damage like that a ceramic wheel would tend to shatter. Another thing to note is that all toyota turbines i have seen all have a 10 point head cast into them, yours hast a six point.
alex687

Post by alex687 »

mr2magic wrote:P.s. that turbine isn't ceramic either.....with damage like that a ceramic wheel would tend to shatter.

That's what I thought to be honest. What could it be then cos it isn't magnetic...?
mr2magic wrote:Another thing to note is that all toyota turbines i have seen all have a 10 point head cast into them, yours hast a six point.

So it's a none standard turbine too. Would you say it is larger than a standard one?
alex687

Post by alex687 »

I've just noticed it had 11 fins too. Standard ones appear to have 10
2mad

Post by 2mad »

stock turbines are defo .. ceramic 8-[
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Or inconel :oldtongue:
2mad

Post by 2mad »

mr2magic wrote:Or inconel :oldtongue:

Haha ... yes .. what the bloody hells inconel :lol:
mr2magic

Post by mr2magic »

Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No...it's a superalloy! Basically lots of nickel and a bit of iron. :lol:

Oh and inconel has so little ferrous material, that it is to all intents and purposes non-magnetic ;-)
Last edited by mr2magic on Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”