Power Steering Light On - No Error Code

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Spawn

Power Steering Light On - No Error Code

Post by Spawn »

Hi All,

If anyone can shed any light on this it would be appreciated.

My Power Steering has died, the Power Steering light is on and the steering is very heavy.

My next step was to look at the manual, which suggests to check for diagnostics codes. So I bridged Terminals E1 & Tc. However, the light simply blinks around twice a second which the manual suggests will occur if no error codes have been stored.

I am aware of the relay sticking being a common problem - however I suspect if this was the case an error would occur? I was going to nut both terminals on top of each other to bypass the relay as a test (as suggested here: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=112) - would this be worth trying anyway?

Any help is always always much appreciated.

Regards
Pauln

Re: Power Steering Light On - No Error Code

Post by Pauln »

Have you actually tried the usual trick of turning the ignition on and off about a dozen times. If it's just a sticky relay that will usually get it going again.

Paul
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I have given that a try, didn't seem to change anything. I think I will bypass the relay next just to be sure.

Is it unusual to have the PS light on but no error codes?
Pauln

Post by Pauln »

Looking at the list of error codes for power steering you'd have thought that would cover most possible issues, so it does seem a bit odd that no error code has been stored:

Power Steering diagonstics

Paul
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

Thanks.

I guess if there is no error code I can perform the steering angle test.

I recall reading a thread where Shinny mentioned he was only able to read the codes with the engine running so I can try that to. That gives me a couple is things to start with.

Rob
Rob66

Post by Rob66 »

Hi Rob

I had a similar thing last year, try cleaning all the contacts on the relay and re trying the ignition on off trick. Mine has been okay with one blip recently when it went failed again until I turned on and off a couple of times.

Good luck with it.

Off topic but have you ever noticed how many Robs there are on here?
:D
Spawn

Post by Spawn »

Thanks Rob.

A good update tonight. I took the wires from the top of the relay and connected the two. Started the car and all was good, the power steering worked a treat.

I reconnected to the relay and everything still worked without problem.

Perhaps just a fluke, but the signs point towards the relay. I'll monitor it.

Thanks for the help. I hope I don't have the problem again however that may be a little optimistic.

Rob

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”