total car respray

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

C35Rob

Re: total car respray

Post by C35Rob »

that green is nice, the blue s horrible
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

i actually love this color too

Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

I do like that colour, has a retro feel about it, not sure if it would suit a mr2 though, the problem for me and mr2s is that it's hard to imagine them in anything other than the factory colours :(
alan_uk

Post by alan_uk »

i know right pita lol and there is no google images at all of a mint green mr2 lol
2mad

Post by 2mad »

£2500 is steep .. but a full on glass out full strip pant job has got to be mint.
cosmos

Respray

Post by cosmos »

Worth looking at the sky blue mr2 in google images with Celica headlights.

My paintwork cost £3,000+ yes glass out, if your going to that level then your not going to refit the halfway door rubbing strips that would bend on extraction! door to glass weather strips x 2 had seen some serious Jap sun damage so there is £150. I felt that as the owner of one of the last Iconic MR2 Turbo's ever made there is a responsibility to do my utmost to preserve this car come what may, even now i do not see a suitable replacement of this Coupe! Cosmos Blue is near enough the colour of Red Bull F1's and suits this car.

Horses for courses i guess.
craig

Re: Respray

Post by craig »

cosmos wrote:

My paintwork cost £3,000+ yes glass out, if your going to that level then your not going to refit the halfway door rubbing strips that would bend on extraction! door to glass weather strips x 2 had seen some serious Jap sun damage so there is £150. I felt that as the owner of one of the last Iconic MR2 Turbo's ever made there is a responsibility to do my utmost to preserve this car come what may, even now i do not see a suitable replacement of this Coupe!

Horses for courses i guess.

Agreed. Saying things like this:

"why spend all that money respraying a 20 year old clapped out Toyota"

Well:

a) because it's my MR2 and I didn't want a cheap crappy respray doing on it.

b) My car isn't clapped out, it's a full ground up restoration of a (in my eyes) iconic mid 90's turbocharged sports car that has been maintained with no expense spared, using oem or quality aftermarket parts.

This is an MR2 owners club after all. Why own an MR2 or spend any money on it if to the owner, it's just a clapped out, 20 year old Toyota? That view is lost on me.

:-s

As per my earlier post, each to their own.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

this is a clapped out Toyota,

throw as much money at is as you like, it's a clapped out Toyota.

I'm not asking you to justify why you've spent an extortionate amount of money on it, all I'm saying is that things can be done cheaper and to the same level of finish as your " full ground up restoration".
My respray may have been cheap but it's certainly not crappy.

As for quality parts, it never stopped your block cracking did it?? Peter Gidden must be laughing his head off every time there's a problem with your car

:lol:
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:Image

this is a clapped out Toyota,

throw as much money at is as you like, it's a clapped out Toyota.

I'm not asking you to justify why you've spent an extortionate amount of money on it, all I'm saying is that things can be done cheaper and to the same level of finish as your " full ground up restoration".
My respray may have been cheap but it's certainly not crappy.

As for quality parts, it never stopped your block cracking did it?? Peter Gidden must be laughing his head off every time there's a problem with your car

:lol:

"was" a clapped out Toyota. Back in Aug 2013 - hence "back from the dead" build thread. My car doesn't look like that now does it? Can't really understand why you've stuck up a pic from the start of my project? Bit of a pointless statement there.

I've not once said your respray was "crappy" I said I didn't want a cheap crappy respray. And the guy who painted my car was a very well respected painter, with loads of satisfied customers, so I had him paint my car.

As for the block cracking - please explain how using quality parts prevents a mass lump of metal from cracking? The engine is 20 years old, and just life expired.

Irrelevant anyway, new block, forged pistons and freshly refurbished CT20b, so good to go.
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

to be fair I have seen £2k paint jobs and £800 jobs and they are sometimes as good as each other and you couldn't tell which was the cheaper one.

However cheaper doesn't always mean you are getting a crappy job nor does paying an extortionate amount mean you will get an immaculate job.

It really does boil down to the individual painter..!!
craig

Post by craig »

Rev5GT wrote:to be fair I have seen £2k paint jobs and £800 jobs and they are sometimes as good as each other and you couldn't tell which was the cheaper one.

However cheaper doesn't always mean you are getting a crappy job nor does paying an extortionate amount mean you will get an immaculate job.

It really does boil down to the individual painter..!!

Excatly, which is why I have not once said Shep's paint is crappy. My car getting painted, didn't solely come down to price, but recommendations, previous satisfied customers etc. Plus, mine was a complete bare shell respray, thus adding to the cost.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

because that's what you've ploughed your money into, which is entirely up to you.

I simply can't get my head around it, People as for respray costs and you seem to think a bare shell respray is the only way to go because you've done it that way. As I said earlier, I too had seen the work of the guy I used and chose him due to his level of skill, when he asked if I wanted a bare shell respray and or a colour change, I said no, just mask it up and paint it yellow. Not everyone cares so much about their car, after all it is just a car. As pointed out already it'd be different in the case of a rare old e-type or similar, they are only ever going to go up in value and rarity.

Were you not away to sell it anyway? I dread to think how much money you;d effectively be giving away :(
Rev5GT

Post by Rev5GT »

I know places here local that do trade jobs at £50 per panel :mrgreen: You couldn't even get a smart repair guy competing with that. However I still travel 30+ miles to a chap I use as he is (slightly) dearer but his attention to detail is second to none.

A couple of weeks ago my brother had a knock in his Impreza and 'visually' it looked like a bumper and a slight 'jig' as the floor had creased and he ended up with a bill of £2600..!!! Literally just the rear bumper was replaced / painted. No other panel touched. He was just glad he went through his insurance and it was a 3rd party fault. However he rejected the car twice as the crease was visible and then the 3rd time round it got sorted..!!
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

also, I cannot believe we're all having the "re-spray" argument again, somebody should make a sticky with a rough guide for prices.
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:because that's what you've ploughed your money into, which is entirely up to you.

I simply can't get my head around it, People as for respray costs and you seem to think a bare shell respray is the only way to go because you've done it that way. As I said earlier, I too had seen the work of the guy I used and chose him due to his level of skill, when he asked if I wanted a bare shell respray and or a colour change, I said no, just mask it up and paint it yellow. Not everyone cares so much about their car, after all it is just a car. As pointed out already it'd be different in the case of a rare old e-type or similar, they are only ever going to go up in value and rarity.

Were you not away to sell it anyway? I dread to think how much money you;d effectively be giving away :(

Well, not really, as you can see from the pic you posted, it's pretty stripped already, as it was a breaker, and was still £2500 for my respray.

I'm done arguing over respray costs, it's never going to come to a resolution, so lets just leave it there.

Be under no illusion, my car doesn't get wrapped up in a garage. It gets used and abused. I took on loads of stone chips on the Le Mans trip last year, do I give a sh*t? No.

Yeah, it's cost me fair whack so far, but it's only money.

Not selling now, getting it back on the road with my private plate all ready for this years Le Mans trip.
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

RedMR² wrote:
I took on loads of stone chips on the Le Mans trip last year, do I give a sh*t? No.

well this is kinda my point, when it needs done again in a few years time are you gonna spend £2500 on it again? when realistically all it would need is a blow over...(or an £800 respray)

I wasn't prepared to spend vast amounts of cash on a car that I could potentially bin at the track/strip.
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:
RedMR² wrote:
I took on loads of stone chips on the Le Mans trip last year, do I give a sh*t? No.

well this is kinda my point, when it needs done again in a few years time are you gonna spend £2500 on it again? when realistically all it would need is a blow over...(or an £800 respray)

I wasn't prepared to spend vast amounts of cash on a car that I could potentially bin at the track/strip.

Given that the previous paint had lasted 20 years, I certainly won't be respraying the car in the next few! It can carry on looking used and abused. :twisted:
Ryan S
IMOC Moderator

Post by Ryan S »

you certainly are an odd character Craig :thumleft:
craig

Post by craig »

sheppy wrote:you certainly are an odd character Craig :thumleft:

Thanks dude, I think. :mrgreen:
androo007