rev5 spoiler adjustment, any noticeable improvements?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

dansREV2turbo

Re: rev5 spoiler adjustment, any noticeable improvements?

Post by dansREV2turbo »

shinny wrote:

Really?? The rev3 spoiler is a single piece, so they clearly worked out how to mould that. The aftermarket copies are a single piece too, meaning you don't need Toyota's huge industrial experience to achieve it with that specific shape either :wink:

Id hazard a guess that the dies used on a rev 3 spoiler due to its shape open/close vertically during the casting process possibly leaving mould lines on only the leading edge, rear edge and base therefore hiding the lines to an extent and being relatively easy to deburr with an automated process. Due to the way the rev5 spoiler sides hook under the blade this would not be possible to cast vertically therefore the split would have to be on a horizontal axis if possible, which would leave lines on the flat surface of the blade and also sides. In a mass production environment it would be Difficult to quality control and achieve a consistant finish that is required for a smooth surface body part with so many visible sides (i know bumpers are intricate but the mould lines are all hidden in the edges and rear).
You have to remember that aftermarket rev5 spoilers cost what now? 200/250? (thats what i paid for my rev5 copy years ago which coincidently was still a 5 piece spoiler but with no adjustment)
What i mean is - owner buys a hand finished, Not perfect spoiler for 200 and then has to paint it.
Believe me, toyota would have paid nowhere near that per unit finished.. Id hazard a guess at probably 1/8 possibly 1/4 that cost maximum.

Copies are not as good as oem, they would also use laid fibreglass not injection moulding meaning a totally different process.
The timescale to complete each one in mass manufacturing needs to be taken into account and also waste parts costed in.

I work in a casting facility (be it aluminium) and suspect the principle and problems to be similar/shared between both materials on an industrial scale. We do actually also have a plastic casting facility onsite which i can find out more specifics.. If i could be bothered!

Also yes, for the speed and cost the item would need to be produced at you would need a high investment cost.. Were not talking about some bloke in an industrial unit using hand dies/jigs laying down fibreglass producing comparatively low figure volumes over a given time.

I Dont mean that to sound blunt if it does, just pointing things out.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”