Speedo help

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Sw20Rob

Speedo help

Post by Sw20Rob »

I own a 1991 import sw20 now I'm having problem I got the car with a speedo showing 110mph but it showing power steering fault on it ? Now I fitted a 1991 uk complete speedo with 160mph on it and it showing that oil is low?? Can someone tell me which speedo am I meant to have???
thomp1983

Re: Speedo help

Post by thomp1983 »

obvious stuff first, is your oil low? do you have power steering? if yes have you tested it for fault codes?
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

I read somewhere that there's a fire risk if you put a UK cluster in a JDM as the wiring is different.
Apparently you're only supposed to take the speedo itself out and swap that over.

Also JDM doesn't have a low oil light [rev1 certainly doesn't] so that would back up the differences in wiring and warning light positions.

No doubt someone who knows all the details will be along.
thomp1983

Post by thomp1983 »

id be surprised if there's a fire risk, blow a fuse maybe. but yes commonly to destrict an import you just swap the speedo part of the dash over
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

thomp1983 wrote:id be surprised if there's a fire risk, blow a fuse maybe. but yes commonly to destrict an import you just swap the speedo part of the dash over

Not quite, you still need a clamp delimiter for rev1's as the speedo is cable driven.

The thread with the fire risk info [and delimiting a JDM] is here - www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1 ... peedo+fire
Sw20Rob

Post by Sw20Rob »

But weird thing is the power steering is fine?? I've checked it and as for oil light I think it's correct because some reason I have a uk engine in a import car? Also the loom seems to be jdm :/

Also car been stood since 2011 by 3 previous owners when I bought her omg what did I get me self into but lucky I purchased a donor car which is a 1991 uk spec and rebuilt the sw20 but not touched the engine or ecu
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

All I know for sure is some of the warning lights are in different places.
It would appear that they vary between the different revisions too regardless of UK or JDM.
I can only assume that the engine sensors, looms & ecu's do too.

For example, these are from my 91 JDM rev1 Glimited Auto

I had Cruise control on that car but there's no light for that whereas later models do have one.
Also no low oil light is present & there's no fog light either.

For comparison I found this one the net

I have no idea how you would go about confirming what you actually have, hopefully someone will know and chime in.
Sw20Rob

Post by Sw20Rob »

Thanks Mullen them extacly what's on my speedo with 110mph clocks however it's manual but friend told me previous owner had celica auto he swapped clocks over so now I'm stuck so I've fitted my rev3 uk clocks into the car as both are mesh cable driven
Sw20Rob

Post by Sw20Rob »

Still hitting my head about this lol
Mullen

Post by Mullen »

You say you've got a UK engine. Do you know what it is & what rev it came out of?

That might help someone who deals with rewiring point out known issues.
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Post by Peter Gidden »

Sw20Rob wrote:I've fitted my rev3 uk clocks into the car as both are mesh cable driven

No they're not.

Rev1 has cable driven speedometer, Rev2-5 has electric signal.

Also, the 3 dash loom plugs into the cluster are totally different shape on Rev1 compared to Rev2-5. So a Rev1 dash loom won't plug into a Rev2-5 cluster in a month of Sundays.
Sw20Rob

Post by Sw20Rob »

I got a photo of my engine bay if that's any good for u guys ??? I can also take pic of both clocks ?

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”