GT4 alternator setup :0)

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Slarty

Re: GT4 alternator setup :0)

Post by Slarty »

RST wrote:^^ 'Ach yea, I remember it know. Just goes straight down. Looks bit like a "figure of 8" shaped opening in the undertray. Usually had to put a tiewrap round it to keep them from flapping round once the trays had been on / off a cpl of times.

Yeah that's exactly it lol, made me chuckle when you mentioned the tie wraps as that's exactly how mine ended up!
RST

Post by RST »

Sorry for my confusion. Having done all suss and the clutch and (paid for someone to do the) turbo on mine I forget so much yet I never had so many other car in so many pieces even just trying to get to simple things LoL. I was actually confusing the layout of my JZS147 with the '205, which was why couldn't remember where the ducts went.

Cheers, Rich
greeny

Post by greeny »

I wouldnt worry about heat issues moving it to the other side.

I'd guess more alternators are knackered by people spilling oil into them when topping up oil in the MR2 position.
TOTB 2010 Rwd top speed, 1/4 and shootout winner.
10.7@142 on R888 street tyres, 10.3@134mph on slicks,
9's on slicks to come, with a clean full throttle pass! Goal of 0-150mph in a 1/4 of a mile....
raptor95GTS

Post by raptor95GTS »

is there a guide for moving the alternator up there as it seems it would protect it more than hanging in the breeze by the road grime?
RST

Post by RST »

I'd guess more alternators are knackered by people spilling oil into them when topping up oil in the MR2 position.

...If I recall someone posed up a while ago some exotic funnel for topping up fluids at something like £20. I think most of us pointed out you just cut the top off a small plastic bottle -like milk, or coke etc. (plus keep a rag handy) and hey presto no spills or drips whatsoever.
JD

Post by JD »

I always have a funnel and rag handy. I'd call a pub 'The Funnel and Rag'.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”