[Mk2] [Turbo] Fitting XS-Power Motoria Style De-Cat Downpipe

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

JeffD

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Fitting XS-Power Motoria Style De-Cat Downpipe

Post by JeffD »

Like this....also known as an offset spanner/drop-end

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/p ... nners.html
Dean_82

Post by Dean_82 »

JeffD wrote:Like this....also known as an offset spanner/drop-end

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/products/p ... nners.html

Thanks mate. I thought it was that sort of one! :thumleft:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Its just for the one stud closeest to the back of the car that secures the turbo elbow/downpipe to the turbo housing - impossible without I reckon! :-(
GTSAARON

Post by GTSAARON »

This is a cracking write up and one that I will certainly be using at some point :)

Quick question..... Is the cat the biggest restriction to power in the exhaust i.e. will changing to a down pipe such as the xs power unit give the best bang for buck compared to changing the rest of the exhaust? I have a TRD back box which looks and sounds nice and a standard flexi and manifold, so will my standard setup with a decat alone give similar benefits to say a mongoose rear section, flexi with the same decat??

Cheers

Aaron
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Is the cat the biggest restriction to power in the exhaust i.e. will changing to a down pipe such as the xs power unit give the best bang for buck compared to changing the rest of the exhaust?
BTW I'm looking for a TRD rear box if you ever get rid of it :-)
GTSAARON

Post by GTSAARON »

JeffD wrote:
Is the cat the biggest restriction to power in the exhaust i.e. will changing to a down pipe such as the xs power unit give the best bang for buck compared to changing the rest of the exhaust?

BTW I'm looking for a TRD rear box if you ever get rid of it :-)

Cool, well if I get sorted out with a new zaust I shall pm ya mate :)

Aaron
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Bump since ill be fitting a full aftermarket exhaust and decat system in next week or 2 :mrgreen:
Razor2568

decat problem?? help please?

Post by Razor2568 »

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums as I've only had my MR2 Turbo Rev 3 a couple of months now and have fitted a decat pipe using this very good write which I found invaluable only to find that when I started the car and let it idle it was fine but a bit smelly (like my old decat '98 Skyline R34 GTT was) but when revving there's a strange tapping noise coming from near the turbo. Maybe I have bought the wrong pipe? Anyone able to help? And sorry to revive an old thread!

Thanks in advance!
Can upload a video to youtube of the noise if needs be, or anyone who's an expert and local willing to come and look???
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

I think as a firs step I would go back and recheck the tightness of everything.

Did you use fresh gaskets? Id particularly check the O2 sensor gasket/studs/nuts
Razor2568

Post by Razor2568 »

thanks for a quick reply and yes I triple checked the tightness of all the nuts and bolts, the pipe came with new gaskets which I used except for the lambda sensor which I just reused the two old ones and I couldn't get the temp senor out of the bottom of the cat so left it in the cat. It just seems to be making a weird noise coming from the turbo like a tapping noise. I also looked on xs-power and they now make a different pipe to the one shown in the write up and it has a second pipe coming off the top near the lambda sensor mount but don't no what its for??

and thanks again for the reply! :)
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Get a video up of the noise.

Does it appear to increase with revs?

You've not done anything else besides the pipe such as an oil change or anything have you?
Razor2568

Post by Razor2568 »

yes full oil and filter change, fuel filter change. but discovered today on my way to work that the noise goes away after about 20 mins of driving so the engine is warm. I did some more research and people have said it could be a warped turbo manifold which happens around 74000 miles and mines 72000ish so not long from a possible turbo rebuild??? also there is a video already on youtube which I found but I'm not allowed to post links as I'm new to the forums but thanks for the help you are giving me :)

For the video I just typed in mr2 turbo decat tapping noise
Peter Gidden
IMOC Affiliated Trackday Organiser

Re: decat problem?? help please?

Post by Peter Gidden »

Razor2568 wrote:have fitted a decat pipe ... but when revving there's a strange tapping noise coming from near the turbo.

Sounds like a gas leak.

You did use new Toyota gaskets and not rubbish cheapo items off ebay?
Razor2568

Post by Razor2568 »

I just used the gaskets that came with the pipe so maybe i should try what you've suggested and go with a toyota one
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Before you undo all your hard work redouble check tightness of all nuts particularly any that were hard to get at at the time. I would also check your oil level since you did an oil change plus the dipstick is secured properly and the bracket that holds the dipstick.

Did you loosen any studs and if so are you sure you put them back in properly before putting nuts on etc.

If you suspect a leak one way to find it is to make up a solution of washing up liquid and water (a bit like when you were a kid to blow bubbles) and use a spray or something to spray the area round the join (engine needs t be cold really otherwise it dries out too fast) and any leak will in effect "blow a bubble". Same technique to find a difficult puncture or leaky bead seals on tyres if your familiar with that.

TBH I doubt you've warped your manifold etc. If the noise wasn't there before and it is now its something you've done (or not done!) LOL
Razor2568

Post by Razor2568 »

Problem solved cheers mate it was a loose bolt in the exhaust manifold not sure why but there was one
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Excellent news! :-)

Return to “Modifications”