FOR SALE: MR2 AW11 MK1b, Silver, 52k miles, history, Koni yellow suspension etc

MR2s for sale - all versions & variants

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chris69

Re: FOR SALE: MR2 AW11 MK1b, Silver, 52k miles, history, Koni yellow suspension etc

Post by Chris69 »

jb007 wrote:
chrismanchr wrote:hi mate ,have you got any pictures of what damage there was to the car or at least details of what was replaced ,my mate has porsche 911 cat c and he has the pics of all the work that was done to repair it ,its an old car ,but was written off at a stage that it was ripe for restoration and being a rare 911 it was very cheap ,but what backs his up is all the pictures he took of the damage which was really minor and then the full restoration he did ,its still a cat c , but to be honest that wouldnt bother anyone because the car is rare and he has over a 1000 pics of the restoration he did ,the accident damage was nothing compared to the rust damage lol

There has been no damage repaired, the bodywork is how you see it - creased and scuffed down the nearside.

Slightly confused, your saying in its current condition it was classed as a cat c, no repair work was carried out and it passed a VIC check strait away?
Charged
IMOC Committee

Re: FOR SALE: MR2 AW11 MK1b, Silver, 52k miles, history, Koni yellow suspension etc

Post by Charged »

Chris69 wrote:
Slightly confused, your saying in its current condition it was classed as a cat c, no repair work was carried out and it passed a VIC check strait away?

VIC confirms car's identity not that it has been repaired.
jb007

Post by jb007 »

Chris69 wrote:
jb007 wrote:
chrismanchr wrote:hi mate ,have you got any pictures of what damage there was to the car or at least details of what was replaced ,my mate has porsche 911 cat c and he has the pics of all the work that was done to repair it ,its an old car ,but was written off at a stage that it was ripe for restoration and being a rare 911 it was very cheap ,but what backs his up is all the pictures he took of the damage which was really minor and then the full restoration he did ,its still a cat c , but to be honest that wouldnt bother anyone because the car is rare and he has over a 1000 pics of the restoration he did ,the accident damage was nothing compared to the rust damage lol

There has been no damage repaired, the bodywork is how you see it - creased and scuffed down the nearside.

As confirmed by 'charged' the VIC test is only to confirm its identity/not stolen and dodgy stuff done with VIN etc etc.

I went to a local friendly MOT guy as a method of looking under the car and getting an inspection, confirming zero mechanical damage. I already knew this as it was a "brush" against me, but i wanted to put my mind at rest. I did have a ball joint replaced but that already had ever so slight play in it and was on the offside not nearside :thumleft:

Going home today to swap cars, top the battery up, give it another clean and start using it this next week or so while its up for sale on ebay :thumleft:
Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

Fair enough. I thought the entire point of a VIC check following an accident was for the DVLA to ensure the car is roadworthy before re-issuing a V5. Just read up on it, what a pointless exercise!

So you get a CAT C for some very minor cosmetic damage? That's ludicrous, I think you got treated very harshly. In that situation I would have told them to shove it and sorted it out myself.

IMO you won't get close to 2k for it unless you at least repair the damage. There are still plenty of decent cars in that price bracket.

Still, good luck with the sale. Hope it finds itself a good home.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Chris69 wrote:

So you get a CAT C for some very minor cosmetic damage? That's ludicrous, I think you got treated very harshly. In that situation I would have told them to shove it and sorted it out myself.

It's not ludicrous what so ever. Why would an insurer pay more than a car is worth to repair it? Now THAT would be ludicrous.
Last edited by Charged on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
almostaverage

Post by almostaverage »

charged wrote:
Chris69 wrote:

It's not ludicrous what so ever. Why would an insurer pay more than a car is worth repair it? Now THAT would be ludicrous.

at last !!
Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

charged wrote:
Chris69 wrote:

It's not ludicrous what so ever. Why would an insurer pay more than a car is worth to repair it? Now THAT would be ludicrous.

Oh I agree if it actually cost more to fix than its worth then fair enough, In this case though a scrape on the wing and maybe a new wheel? Pfffff, no danger.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Chris69 wrote:

Oh I agree if it actually cost more to fix than its worth then fair enough, In this case though a scrape on the wing and maybe a new wheel? Pfffff, no danger.

Have you priced up a rear wing from Toyota + paint + labour + the cost of a new wheel from Toyota?
jb007

Post by jb007 »

Going up on ebay/pistonheads today :thumleft:
jb007

Post by jb007 »

charged wrote:
Chris69 wrote:

Have you priced up a rear wing from Toyota + paint + labour + the cost of a new wheel from Toyota?

Plus front wing. This is the question i asked them, why are the prices based on Toyota when a good independant would be able to restore and repaint the existing panels? They always go by the main dealer, seems pointless as at dealer prices even a newish car could easily be a write off. How many good cars are out there which have been written off? its a total waste for minor cosmetic damage
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

jb007 wrote:
Plus front wing. This is the question i asked them, why are the prices based on Toyota when a good independant would be able to restore and repaint the existing panels? They always go by the main dealer, seems pointless as at dealer prices even a newish car could easily be a write off. How many good cars are out there which have been written off? its a total waste for minor cosmetic damage

Without meaning to be rude you should have dug your heels in at the time, a 50k Mk1 could/should hold a value of £2.5k at least. You had the advantage of being crashed into rather than it being a fault claim which should have meant that you could have taken a cash in lieu from the TP's insurers and then got the car repaired by a local bodyshop, without it being written off.

Insurers have to guarantee their work, a paint repair has to be guaranteed, an insurer is not going to want to repair a panel, they will always need to fit new panels, they will have to source these panels through the manufacturer.

I have owned a Cat C car which was a Cat C because the bumper was split. I agree it is a waste but it's understandable when you consider the situation.
jb007

Post by jb007 »

charged wrote:
jb007 wrote:

Without meaning to be rude you should have dug your heels in at the time, a 50k Mk1 could/should hold a value of £2.5k at least. You had the advantage of being crashed into rather than it being a fault claim which should have meant that you could have taken a cash in lieu from the TP's insurers and then got the car repaired by a local bodyshop, without it being written off.

Insurers have to guarantee their work, a paint repair has to be guaranteed, an insurer is not going to want to repair a panel, they will always need to fit new panels, they will have to source these panels through the manufacturer.

I have owned a Cat C car which was a Cat C because the bumper was split. I agree it is a waste but it's understandable when you consider the situation.

I agree completely i should of yes and I kick myself every now and again. The situation at the time dictated my actions though, I had secured what I thought at the time was a decent job, i was doing 50/60 hour weeks, my Nan had a stroke, my partner had left me etc etc I was just trying to keep it all together to be honest. I did try one good local body shop and they were not interested at all, too much like work, they just wanted the easy trade jobs etc.

It was a horrible summer of 2011 but I just needed to get by best as I could. Plus I had never experienced anything like this before and had nobody to get advice from.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

jb007 wrote:
I agree completely i should of yes and I kick myself every now and again. The situation at the time dictated my actions though, I had secured what I thought at the time was a decent job, i was doing 50/60 hour weeks, my Nan had a stroke, my partner had left me etc etc I was just trying to keep it all together to be honest. I did try one good local body shop and they were not interested at all, too much like work, they just wanted the easy trade jobs etc.

It was a horrible summer of 2011 but I just needed to get by best as I could. Plus I had never experienced anything like this before and had nobody to get advice from.

Fair enough, it's easy for me to preach as I work in the insurance industry, specifically dealing with cars like Mk1s.

Just in regards to your last point though, IMOC is here to help and would have given you the advice you needed at the time, most probably almost instant advice.
jb007

Post by jb007 »

Been offered £1,150 via PM for pickup from my house.

Just to update anyone interested, took her out for a 5 minute/2 mile run after topping up battery. Warms up well, temp gauge showing just below centre, oil pressure in middle while stationary idling and while driving sits in between the two guide lines, never gone above that. Also worth mentioning i never took it over 3k until upto temp.

Mileage is now 51995. I have taken some pictures of the dash and will upload to my photobucket account shortly.
johnp

Post by johnp »

You are being honest about the situation,which is great,but I would advise you need to take it a stage further.
Get 2/3 estimates from body shops to make good the damage and state how much these are,you can then adjust your pre-accident price properly downwards to reflect this.Since your car has a metallic finish and these are notoriously difficult to match it may be necessary to paint the whole of the side of the car.
Where that then leaves you price-wise is not up to me to say....but the latest offer above may be the best you will get,sadly these cars are not yet "classics" and will not be for another 10 years my estimation.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

johnp wrote:You are being honest about the situation,which is great,but I would advise you need to take it a stage further.
Get 2/3 estimates from body shops to make good the damage and state how much these are,you can then adjust your pre-accident price properly downwards to reflect this.Since your car has a metallic finish and these are notoriously difficult to match it may be necessary to paint the whole of the side of the car.
Where that then leaves you price-wise is not up to me to say....but the latest offer above may be the best you will get,sadly these cars are not yet "classics" and will not be for another 10 years my estimation.

you might want to re-read the thread.
jb007

Post by jb007 »

Small picture update. Price £1500 ono.

Jon

Return to “MR2s for Sale”