Meguires Vs Autoglym

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Nik_L

Re: Meguires Vs Autoglym

Post by Nik_L »

Tsia wrote:
Nik_L wrote:
Tsia wrote:Not sure why all the hate for Autoglym, I get really good results for it. Pro tip for using the tyre shine is only to apply it to the tyres, by the way ;)

The AG SRP has proven to be the best on the market for removing* swirls and scratches etc by hand.

*filling.

Not sure what the issue is here, it looks better than a scratch :|

There isn't an issue, im on your side :D

Its the best you can buy for getting similar results to a D.A polisher but doing it by hand.
Harold

Post by Harold »

Not tried any megs stuff yet, but autoglym SRP & EGP are great products, the shampoo is good also. A lot of people rate the HD wax as well.
vishpish

Post by vishpish »

x2 on the Mothers stuff - it is outstanding.

For compounding/polishing, 3M Fast Cut and for finishing, 3M Finesse it, are both the best - I'm not a pro but I've compounded my car post 2 resprays and find that 3M works better than anything with a rotary.
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

Nik_L wrote:
Tsia wrote:
Nik_L wrote:

The AG SRP has proven to be the best on the market for removing* swirls and scratches etc by hand.

*filling.

Not sure what the issue is here, it looks better than a scratch :|

There isn't an issue, im on your side :D

Its the best you can buy for getting similar results to a D.A polisher but doing it by hand.

#-o Me misreading it. I thought there was somehow an issue with filling the scratches which I couldn't quite comprehend! :lol:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Out of everything ive used in the past if i was doing a full job of stuff i have i wash the car with fairy liquid (sounds crazy but i cant find anything else to give it as good or smooth a clean).

I then use autoglym tar remover to get the dirt off that the wash didnt catch

Then megs scratch x to help remove light swirls

Then i think its nxt megs wax (purple bottle) which gives it an amazing shine and incredibly smooth surface, i love it when it rains after waxing the car :mrgreen:
Blue2UK

Post by Blue2UK »

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the reason "they" say not to use fairy liquid (other washing up liquids are available) is that it strips everything off the paint.

That's fine if you're going to wax it again but you won't get a build up of layers doing that every time.
mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie »

Here are a couple of pics as requested.

[URL=http://s510.photobucket.com/user/mwmack ... 1.jpg.html]
Blue2UK

Post by Blue2UK »

That's a really noticeable difference! I'd be binning that Autoglym
AManInDandism

Post by AManInDandism »

I don't really rate Autoglym. They do have some products, which are quite good.

I use Meguiars or Sonus polishes. Sonus seems to have a longer working life and you needn't use as much water when machine polishing.

As far as wax goes, I use Collinite 476S. You don't need much, goes on easy, buffs off easy. R222 (formerly P21s) comes a close second, but seems to create a lot of powdery residue when buffing.
SteveH

Post by SteveH »

I love the Farcela gear used with a Kestrel DA. Worked wonders on the Legacy. I'm currently testing a few different finishing polishes (Dodo Juice, Megs, Chemical Guys) to see what gives the deepest mirror finish. Chemical Guys - Blacklight is next in my tests and I've heard great things, so let's see.

As for waxes, I've been speaking to a detailer over here and he highly rates the AG HD wax
mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie »

SteveH wrote:I love the Farcela gear used with a Kestrel DA. Worked wonders on the Legacy. I'm currently testing a few different finishing polishes (Dodo Juice, Megs, Chemical Guys) to see what gives the deepest mirror finish. Chemical Guys - Blacklight is next in my tests and I've heard great things, so let's see.

As for waxes, I've been speaking to a detailer over here and he highly rates the AG HD wax

Love to hear the results of your testing... I'll not buy anything until I hear ;)
DanT

Post by DanT »

i would imagine your problem has come from mixing the 2 different products.

i have tried meguiars stuff but personally prefer AG.

i am quite a fussy fecker when it comes to cleaning my car..but bang for buck i always go back to the AG super resin polish(really is good stuff) and also AG ultra deep shine and extra gloss protection.

shampoo i tend to use the AG stuff as well as it tends to work brilliantly on a car which has been super resined.

for wax i recently tried the dodo juice purple haze(omg the smell = nommm) and found it to be of the best quality i have currently used.

and for those that doubt my choice..this was after a autoglym shampoo and ultra deep shine:

Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Blue2UK wrote:I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I think the reason "they" say not to use fairy liquid (other washing up liquids are available) is that it strips everything off the paint.

That's fine if you're going to wax it again but you won't get a build up of layers doing that every time.

U would think so but never harmed any of my previous cars and i used to wash my cars every friday, wax it every 3-6months. Shine and smoothness was always top notch aswell with fairy.

I have tried all the turtlewax and halfords crap (nothing too expensive) with unconvincing results.

The way i see it.. If it doesnt harm skin then cant be that bad for paint :D
DanT

Post by DanT »

i personally wouldnt use washing up liquid..its like using acid
Marsh

Post by Marsh »

Auto glym ultra deep shine is really for black or high metallic dark cars i always use it on my black rev1 followed by the auto glym liquid hard wax works a treat and paint is as smooth as a babys behind and a really good shine. :thumleft:
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Was recommended AG super resin polish for hand polishing to remove swirl marks and very happy with it so far. I use meguirs wax and that's pretty good as well. I am open to suggestions though I heard the dodo stuff is rated pretty highly? Just my two cents :-)

gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

Mine after the 3 stage california gold system

mwmackenzie

Post by mwmackenzie »

OOOOOOOH......

Look what I found!

I had put it somewhere safe some time ago and searched for it the last 2 weeks with no joy and alas, tonight I found it.... Could well be a very busy weekend for me ;)

Blue2UK

Post by Blue2UK »

That looks expensive! You'll have share the results :thumleft:
DB Mr2

Post by DB Mr2 »

Can you explain the 3 stage california gazrev1tubby cos that looks great!

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”