Rev 5 turbo value?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Delgado-Go!

Rev 5 turbo value?

Post by Delgado-Go! »

Evenin' all. Got a weird one after reading the thread about the written off tubby a few weeks ago (champagne gold that got taken out by some eejit tyre fitters). My insurance has agreed value (which i aint sorted yet) so I checked with them and they've come back and said £4.5grand! I said originally £9grand based on Newera prices and if a write off it would cost me that much to replace it. Cheapest turbo i seen in the last few months was £6.5k so are they taking the p1$$ with the value? Gonna go back and compain about it anyway but more info always good for backing an argument.
cvega666

Re: Rev 5 turbo value?

Post by cvega666 »

9 grand ? I think you're a bit optimistic here.. Newera is delusional :)
Current: 2007 Porsche Cayman S
Gone: '94 rev3 NA, '92 rev2 Turbo forged, '07 Civic Type-R
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

I saw a rev5 turbo sell recently for under £4k. People do tend to put unrealistic values on their own cars - which I'll admit I'm also guilty of!

£9k is good supra/gtr money, a rev5 mr2 isn't worth anything like that
cosmos

Value

Post by cosmos »

Desirability of Supra's nil... the huge google-eyed headlights with the wallowy car size was a reminder of Medallion Man with the stick on hairy chest.

GTR's the length again just to much and not the nimble sleek pop up headlamps of the mid engined MR2. Celica's also to big and heavy, none of the above have three bulkheads.

Remember the UK MR2 was £23,000 in 1999 and was told if the MR2 Turbo was officially imported it would of been £30,000 which might have out priced it compared to the competition such as.....wait for it the MGF and the likes.

Get some money and your old 2 and create a trike.......
cosmos

Value

Post by cosmos »

Desirability of Supra's nil... the huge google-eyed headlights with the wallowy car size was a reminder of Medallion Man with the stick on hairy chest.

GTR's the length again just to much and not the nimble sleek pop up headlamps of the mid engined MR2. Celica's also to big and heavy, none of the above have three bulkheads.

Remember the UK MR2 was £23,000 in 1999 and was told if the MR2 Turbo was officially imported it would of been £30,000 which might have out priced it compared to the competition such as.....wait for it the MGF and the likes.

Get some money and your old 2 and create a trike.......
Nik_L

Post by Nik_L »

With AGV insurance, they will only put a price on it based on what it would "realistically" sell for. They won't over-value it as it leaves them wide open for fraudulent claims.

Also they don't work on what it would cost to get another car back up to the same spec as yours in the event of a total write off. They don't work on the basis of old vs new either.
ryan

Re: Value

Post by ryan »

cosmos wrote:Desirability of Supra's nil... the huge google-eyed headlights with the wallowy car size was a reminder of Medallion Man with the stick on hairy chest.

To you maybe, but a good tidy 6 speed Supra is highly desirable and will command 10K+; Supras still have a good following unless you own an MR2 it seems
:-k
uglee

Post by uglee »

£4.5K isn't a bad starting point to be honest.

You never accept the first offer, so if you can get £5K you're doing very well. It's a Rev5, nothing mystical or special about them compared to the other revs in reality.

Also you cannot go on prices when new, we're talking 13-15 years of depreciation and in the UK if it can hold onto just 10% of its original value after that time, then it's considered to maintain high residuals. You're hoping to get around 20-30%, which is a very optimistic payout.
Delgado-Go!

Post by Delgado-Go! »

Ha! Yeh, 9k optimistic but fact is, how many rev5s are on the road in the UK?

I quite like Supra mk4s so not gonna wade into that one!

But I don't think there are many owners like me or cosmos that have a 1998/9 turbo. I doubt the owner list will get added too much anytime soon with current prices.

Will see what they say but probs gonna drop them at the end of the term and look for a proper like-for-like policy. I do think it's a bit of a p1$$ take though. What agreed values have the rev3s owners got?

We're quick to devalue the MR2 and yet pay a premium for things like mud flaps! Mad times!
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

Haven't Newra has the same REV 5 in since 1999? :clown:
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

cosmos wrote:Desirability of Supra's nil... the huge google-eyed headlights with the wallowy car size was a reminder of Medallion Man with the stick on hairy chest.

nothing like a sweeping statement
jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

there is currently a rev5 turbo on PH for 6.25k

and i saw an orange one on ebay the other week starting at 3.5k (no idea what it went for)

if you have a genuine jdm rev5 turbo (and not a converted uk car), then sure they are rare, but you will struggle to find anywhere or anyone willing to insure or buy it for 9k unless it is either a) mega low mile bone stock, or b) tastefully and highly modified

this is coming from someone who used to OWN a 400hp JDM Rev 5 turbo.
this car is still in the community btw.
Delgado-Go!

Post by Delgado-Go! »

uglee wrote:£4.5K isn't a bad starting point to be honest.

You never accept the first offer, so if you can get £5K you're doing very well.

Argh, the mofos won't budge. Ah well I'll be moving on from those guys in due course. Just have to pray that no eejit drives into me (seems to me that peoples driving goes to sh!t during summer).

Any recommendations for an insurance company that does like-for-like replacement cover?

I don't mind if costs more - the peace of mind will be priceless (sort of).
Tsia

Post by Tsia »

cosmos wrote:Desirability of Supra's nil... .

Not being bias because I've just bought one, but Christ that was a stupid comment. :lol:
Gullzter

Post by Gullzter »

Id print off or email them a list of 5-10 mr2 rev5 turbos with similar spec then take an average of them, my mate did this with his celica.. Originally was offered £3500, ended up getting £4300.. But £9k?? I seen one a couple of months ago for £3500 ono and only problem was crunching 4th to 3rd
RST

Post by RST »

I think depending on what deal you have you always assume a minimum of what you bought the car for. You can't base it on advert prices.

I see SW20 prices have started to come up finally though but not by much. You must base it on what you got yours for and if you paid extra on your permium for any extras. Aggreed value does not mean any more than what you agreed at the time and with what extra and all the T's and C's. It's not normally based on replacement value alone. Haggle with them anyway.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”