[Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

hmltnangel

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] ST205 Chargecooler Installation Guide (non 56k friendly)

Post by hmltnangel »

Just thought id share a few points :)

Mines looks like this now

I mounted the pump using an old engine mount and attaching it to the pump and then the passenger engine mount. this means you are right at the space where you can get power from the fusebox. If mounting here you will need 1 x 22mm 180 degree hose, 1 x 22mm 90 degree hose, 1 22mm hose joiner. It loops around peffectly and joins the pump to the core. Bleeding the bloody thing is a pain in the ass! I found the best way is as follows.

Fill up as much as possible the simple way

When its full as possible, open the bleed valve at the front and keep topping up until you get coolant out the bkleed valve.

At this point you'll still have air at the pump, so get some of the spare hose you have left and wrap some tape around making it possible to tightly fit this hose in the CC Core filling hole. When you do this, blow into the hose you used. It will take a good bit of effort but you will keep hearing some gurgling each time you blow and release. Always ensure the CC Core remains full. When the gurgling stops, switch on the pump and repeat the process. After a good few minutes of this the tone from the pump will changeas it starts getting fluids. Keep going remembering to keep the core topped up. A few more minutes of this and all of a sudden you will hear some loud gurgles and suddenly the fluids will start disappearing down the hole to the pump. It easy but time consuming.
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

>PETE< wrote:Gents,

I've managed to get the power steering working quite nicely with the ST205 ECU. Run the usual relay in the ECU to stop the Code 54 Error from coming up.

I then ran a second relay for the power steering (PSCT Wire) which used the ST205 pump operation as the trigger.

Essentially this stops the power steering pump from running when the car is starting or when the engine isn't running and the key is on ignition.

My ST205 ECU now does everything my MR2 ECU would do, only it runs a much nicer MAP. \:D/

Oh, I also removed the CF (Cooling FAN) pin from the ECU. I was finding it was switching on the cooling fan at really odd times (I.e when the engine was cold at startup). This enables the Cooling FAN ECU to control the fan, rather than letting the Engine ECU override its operation.

Bit of a thread resurrection here, but I wondered if anyone can help ?

I've just acquired an st205 ecu, part number 89661-2B840. I think i'm right in saying that it's a worth while mod by fitting one to a rev3 mr2 setup, as it has a better map ?

I don't run a charge cooler, but wondered if you guys thought it would still be worth fitting ? If so, could anyone in laymans terms, explain what wiring needs to be modified to get it to work properly ?
bobhatton

Post by bobhatton »

The only reason to run a ST205 ECU is to drive the charge cooler system
Designer for turbo set ups on F1 cars, and Nitrous Oxide Systems of the USA in the 80s
gazrev1tubby

Post by gazrev1tubby »

So the timing/fuel maps are the same as an mr2 Ecu ?
toxo
IMOC Committee

Post by toxo »

gazrev1tubby wrote:So the timing/fuel maps are the same as an mr2 Ecu ?

No, they are better in the GT4 ECU. But not by much, 10-15bhp at the most, and it's a lot of mucking about to get it working nicely (and removing code54) if you don't have the chargecooler, and more importantly the GT4 pump.

To the guy who you quoted, the reason the CF pin starts behaving madly and turning the fan on and off at nonsensical times is because in the GT4 it's not CF, it's the trigger for turning the pump on and off!
IMOC-UK - the only club to win 'Best Club Stand' at JAE more than once, and twice in a row!
mrturbotom

Post by mrturbotom »

Interested in doing this to my rev2.

Does anyone know if the throttle sock bolts are the same as the rev3?

I know I need the st185 tb sock and throttle cable bracket.

Anything else different required for the earlier car?

Think I've read all the thread looking for rev2 info.

Any help appreciated :-)

Return to “Modifications”