Snowfoam

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

KarlBristol

Snowfoam

Post by KarlBristol »

Well when I get the car back Im very tempted to use snow foam on it (obviously covering up the engine first due to the dual lid fans lol). Ive just got a few questions first...

What are your experience with it?
Is it worth doing regularly?

Which is the best snowfoam to use?

Id be tempted by a juicy or autoglym one tbh as thats what all the rest of my products are :-k
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Spawn

Re: Snowfoam

Post by Spawn »

To be fair it does remove alot of crud off the car before you then wash over it with a mitt. The idea being that you are not rubbing so much dirt over the paintwork.

Unless you take detailing really seriously theres not too much point in my opinion but it is good fun.

I use a PH neutral snowfoam and Karcher pressure washer.

Rob
Nails

Post by Nails »

As said abide does get a lot of excess muck off but it's a clart on. I could be on rinsing the car if I'd just rinised washed finished with the hose and bucket rather than gettingthe pressure washer out etc etc. Good in this salty weather though imo.
The foam it leaves in the street could be a bother depending know the layout and it lies everywhere and doesnt go away
MR2 Rich

Post by MR2 Rich »

Nails wrote:As said abide does get a lot of excess muck off but it's a clart on. I could be on rinsing the car if I'd just rinised washed finished with the hose and bucket rather than gettingthe pressure washer out etc etc. Good in this salty weather though imo.
The foam it leaves in the street could be a bother depending know the layout and it lies everywhere and doesnt go away

I maybe reading that after a few pints but that was hard work :mrgreen:
No 2 :(
craig

Post by craig »

MR2 Rich wrote:
Nails wrote:As said abide does get a lot of excess muck off but it's a clart on. I could be on rinsing the car if I'd just rinised washed finished with the hose and bucket rather than gettingthe pressure washer out etc etc. Good in this salty weather though imo.

+1 and I'm sober :mrgreen:
Nails

Post by Nails »

Lol. Blame my stupid touch screen and predictive text. Had it months and still struggle to get it to make sense. Takes ages to post and check

It also likes to write rhetoric instead of the a lot too.

What I meant was. For instance I used it today. Washed both the cars with it. By the time I'd got the karcher out. Fiddled with the snow foam and lance etc. Rinsed it off. They still needed washing by hand. If I'd just used the hose and a bucket and sponge I'd of been finished in half the time. And the foam that's left fills the street and on everyone else's cars if the wind is up a little. And the foam will stay for days if it's dry weather.
Torero

Post by Torero »

RedMR² wrote:
MR2 Rich wrote:

+1 and I'm sober :mrgreen:

I tried Google translator and it came up in Russian. It made more sense than the original post though :D

Sorry Nails. Only kidding Buddy :thumleft:
3VZ-FE V6 TRD Widebody Replica

Draven wrote "TRD dude. TRD... Can see awesomness from anywhere. "

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0
craig

Post by craig »

:lol: :lol:
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

First of all welcome to a world of expense and frustration!!! LOL

I've recently got into snowfoaming and it can take some doing to get it right so here's what I learnt.

I tried ultimate snow foam, a couple of other similar samples, megs hyperwash and Autobrite magifoam. As a ruke anything PH doesnt seem to quite have the same cleaning ability as non PH so make your mind up waht you prefer - dirt removal and extra waxing or weedy dirt removal and keeping your wax in good shape. All down to pwersonal preference I suppose. After much experimentation I settled on 1-2 inches of the autobrite magifoam (which has far and away the best dwelling) with a squirt of megs hyperwash (which is the best cleaner). This is what you get...

Choice of lance is important too (even amongst ones that look the same) as here is the same mix run through an identicakl looking lance from cleanyourcar (successful one was from autobrite)

Major difference!!!!

Heres what I started with

And here's afterwards - you can just about make out my 2 finger lines

As you can see it doesnt remove all the dirt but does get rid of the stick on mud type dirt. Obviously you still need to wash your car by hand afterwards but it goes from washing a very dirty winter car to being like washing a dusty summer car.
Harold

Post by Harold »

I think it's all a bit of a fad really, I've got a pressure washer, fancy expensive foam lance (how they can justify £45 is beyond me) and some bilt hamber snowfoam. And it doesn't do a huge amount, even when a dirty car has a decent layer of wax underneath the foam doesn't do much cleaning, I've tried using 300-500ml of foam and leaving it to dwell and just run off. Yet afterwards I'm always disappointed as it's only marginally cleaner and I'll still have to wash it the old fashioned way. I've seen a couple of posts on detailing world of someone snow foaming a crusty car that hadn't been washed in a year or some such and after the foam it's glisteningly clean, I don't believe that for a second, even when my car is moderately dirty I can still rub the dirt off with a bare finger afterwards.

Perhaps a different brand of foam would fare better, but I'm not sure. I'd only bother if you have some extra money that you don't want or just want to make things all foamy.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

Just taking some of Harolds points into consideration its worth noting...

If you think it will save you time it won't - it takes longer as you still have to wash your car by hand anyway.

Its not a replacement for hand washing, as pointed out you still have to hand wash it afterwards.

However, if your car gets caked in mud etc. in the winter weather it is good for getting the vast majority of it off ready for hand washing and this is what is supposed to minimise the chances of causing swirls in your paintwork. I was very skeptical about it but have to admit it does get the car cleaner than just a straight hand wash as you get to clean all the the little nooks and crannys too which mitts etc sometimes don't catch.
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

pah! What's wrong with a bit of fairy liquid and a scourer? :clown:
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.
craig

Post by craig »

charged wrote:pah! What's wrong with a bit of fairy liquid and a scourer? :clown:

Erm, everything. :lol:
andrew77

Post by andrew77 »

the stuff is amazing, even better during the summer season when people in your street are scrubbing away cleaning there cars and you just bring out the snow foam and cover the car in thick soapy foam quicker than they can clean a wheel \:D/

i use PH neutral snowfoam and Karcher pressure washer everytime i wash the car, add a bit of dodo juice sour pour shampoo and you hardly need to go over it after :thumleft:
Rob

Post by Rob »

andrew77 wrote:the stuff is amazing, even better during the summer season when people in your street are scrubbing away cleaning there cars and you just bring out the snow foam and cover the car in thick soapy foam quicker than they can clean a wheel \:D/

i use PH neutral snowfoam and Karcher pressure washer everytime i wash the car, add a bit of dodo juice sour pour shampoo and you hardly need to go over it after :thumleft:

Other people in your street wash their cars?

I'm the only weirdo who washes their car down my street - everyone else has 2010 - 12 reg cars and treat them like crap!
willfinch36

Post by willfinch36 »

Can you put snow foam in a normal pressure washer?
Harold

Post by Harold »

willfinch36 wrote:Can you put snow foam in a normal pressure washer?

If you have an additive feed then yes, on my karcher there is a little tube round the back that you can drop into a shampoo solution, though it will only feed from this line at low pressure without a lance attached. It would do less than bu88er all though, I've tried using it with some shampoo and it just makes the water a tiny bit foamy and as it's at low pressure it just runs off the car. Snow foam only gets foamy when air is introduced to it, so you need a fancy lance with an air feed adjuster.
JeffD

Post by JeffD »

+1 pressure washer "foamer" attachments are hopeless - tried the solution in it and it didnt work
andrew77

Post by andrew77 »

Rob wrote:
andrew77 wrote:the stuff is amazing, even better during the summer season when people in your street are scrubbing away cleaning there cars and you just bring out the snow foam and cover the car in thick soapy foam quicker than they can clean a wheel \:D/

Other people in your street wash their cars?

I'm the only weirdo who washes their car down my street - everyone else has 2010 - 12 reg cars and treat them like crap!

my neighbours daughter is a weekly car washer lol,
Charged
IMOC Committee

Post by Charged »

andrew77 wrote:
my neighbours daughter is a weekly car washer lol,

Pics?
If you can't see the angle, you're in trouble.

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”