Project on a budget - sort of

Create a post with details about your car.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Chloke83

Re: Project on a budget - sort of

Post by Chloke83 »

Just got back in after 5 or so hours of work on the car, have serious back ache and knackered :? so will post an update tomorrow. :thumleft:
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

Intrigued :-k
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

So the postman was busy around mine yesterday as i had these delivered:

New front brake discs and pads.

Interior lights from Stoney Racing

Dial Lights - 1st Type

Dial Lights - 2nd Type
I wasnt sure which ones i would prefer so ordered both as they were relatively cheap.

My drivers side front disc had warped slightly after the caliper got stuck on, on a long journey so it will be nice to eradicate the judder i get under braking and the slight wheel wobble at high speed. :wink:

1st off i decided to do the interior lights as they were quick and easy:

Dials taken off the car:

Dials then replaced on the car after the bulbs were fitted:

I decided to go with the more rounded bulbs as there were less flat spots, i will get a pic of what they look like tonight as the camera battery had run out by the time it was really dark. They look much better than the stock though and the red colour compliments it all nicely.

Next was the interior light, pic with the old bulbs:

These looked really tired when removed and had a fair few black spots/burn marks on the glass.

This is what the new LED's looked like when in:

And with the cover back on:

MUCH brighter than before and i am really pleased with the result of such an easy job!

Next i decided to attack the interior with a hoover and dusting rag to make sure it was clean.

Then i took a small break as i knew the next job wasn't going to be as simple. It was easy enough to get the calipers off and remove the brake pads but the bolts that held on the caliper surround were seized on by rust and the fact they get super hot at times. All i had was a small hand ratchett (this one):

And this was how the old disc looked:

So it was an absolute B$%CH to do, lots of WD40, the girlfriends hair dryer to heat it, etc.
It took me about an hour to get the bolts off with constant lubrication and heating and heaving. Needless to say my back hurts today and i now have blisters on the inside of my hand, but it was worth it.

The result:

At this point my camera died so i have no further pics of it all back together but i got the other side done in half the time as it wasn't as seized.

I then replaced the K&N oil filter with a Toyota one.

I took the car for a drive afterwards to test the brakes and have to say it felt a lot firmer and i was happy with the now non existent judder. \:D/

It was about 10:30 at this point so i decided to go inside and attack the "man in dandism" mats as they were looking a bit dirty.

Hoovered 1st off and then used this cleaner all over:

I have to say i cannot recommend it enough as it did a stellar job of getting a lot of the dirt off.

I then wiped it all off with a warm cloth, left it to dry and then hoovered them again.
I will get pics of them up later but have to say it is a HUGE improvement.

Nothing really super done but i was happy with the work all in all. :thumleft: :D
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

awesome..
was a busy day..
my discs are warped on my big brake kit so got that to look forward to tomorrow
Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

pistol pete wrote:awesome..
was a busy day..
my discs are warped on my big brake kit so got that to look forward to tomorrow

Started all the jobs at 6pm and eventually finished just before 11pm.

I slept well after :thumleft:
Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

Only a small update tonight.

The cross brace was looking really tired in the engine bay so i rubbed it back and resprayed. It now looks like this:

Also gave the car a good clean and wash with the brother in law helping. It was done to be ready and presentable for JAE but i suppose it is all in vain after we eat up the motorway miles and it gets covered in dust. ](*,) Anyway it came out pretty good and the thought was there.

:thumleft:
nakamura

Post by nakamura »

Great project so far. Looks really clean in that last pic.

Love the little mods too, they always make a huge difference.
Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

nakamura wrote:Great project so far. Looks really clean in that last pic.

Love the little mods too, they always make a huge difference.

Thank you :thumleft:

I have got the bug and after being at JAE on Friday and Saturday which has resulted in me seeing a lot more that I want to do. It's also great seeing how good some MR2's can look (in my own opinion) and to see what level I am aiming for.

I have some quite big plans for the car over the coming months so watch this space......
mr2sparky

Post by mr2sparky »

Hi Keith , this is lee from jae , nice to have met u . Can u email me the link for the interior lamps m8 , email [email protected]
Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

mr2sparky wrote:Hi Keith , this is lee from jae , nice to have met u . Can u email me the link for the interior lamps m8 , email [email protected]

You have an email :thumleft:
pistol pete

Post by pistol pete »

how is the exhust
Chloke83

Post by Chloke83 »

pistol pete wrote:how is the exhust

I haven't had a chance to do it yet, on the cards to be done on Tuesday evening (as long as the weather holds out).

I put my daughter to good use yesterday with some Autosol and she has got it gleaming. :twisted:

Will have to speak to you about my Audio wiring at some point as i completely forgot about it at JAE. #-o

Return to “Member Profiles”