Mark 2 Milage

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Ridge Racer

Mark 2 Milage

Post by Ridge Racer »

Hello all

I've been looking at MR2's for sale...

It seems its very hard to find one under 100k these days!

What is a realistic mileage to look for when buying one of these cars?

I've seen 102k to 240k which still run but is this all too much or is the mark 2's engines bullet proof?

I'm planning on buying one soon but I do wonder about the mileage aspect?

Any advice greatly appreciated.
KarlBristol

Re: Mark 2 Milage

Post by KarlBristol »

Tbh I'd be less concerned about the mileage and more concerned about the upkeep and maintenance. They are getting to an age where all of them will come with some mileage on them but so long as they are well maintained it is fine.

For example my car has been pretty much stripped out and is slowly being replaced with new parts so that I own a brand new mk2. Therefore my mileage of 131k isn't exactly a worry (plus I've got a rev1 - 1991 so it's not a lot when its over that many years). It is practically new .. Or at least will be shortly.

I'd be looking for a well maintained members car from here or mr2oc personally. These cars just go on and on if properly maintained ... I believe it is highway star on here who's car has now covered over 250k miles and is still going strong :thumleft:

There is a nice low mileage rev5 in white on here for sale iirc - might be a good place to start :D
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
KarlBristol

Post by KarlBristol »

There will be a few under 100k in good condition - but it will take some hunting :thumleft:
Selling up my highly modified and restored Rev 1 V6 3.0 1MZ-FE VVTi

http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=176156
HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hello Ridge Racer.. impressive commitment joining 7yrs before you buy a 2!
Can I ask if it'll be your first mid-engined RWD?
As Karl says it's just servicing and care you need to check for as mileage isn't the best indicator. My '89 rev1 (with FSH at intervals of only 6,000 miles) is approaching 224,000 but there's loads of history, receipts etc. right back to first registration. Recent compression test after a new H/G showed 185 across all 4 cylinders and take my word when I say it's been driven very hard for at least the last 13yrs.
Ideally take someone along when you view who knows twos well and check for that service history and care.
Good luck with it and post up when you've bought, fabulous cars.

R.

D'oh! Just noticed you've had a mk1. Look primarily for the same things.
Last edited by HighwayStar on Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I got a 65k miler only last weekend so they do come up!

Take a look at the classics websites too...
alanmr2turbo

Post by alanmr2turbo »

low mileage ones come up quiet often

The only thing you dont know about any car is whether or not its been thrapped at every given chance or very rarely.

You take a chance with any car that coming upto and above 20 yrs old.

I have seen cars under 80k with the bottom ends knocking its boobs off yet cars with well over 100k purring.
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

Everytime I'm looking I see plenty under 100k, so wouldn't say there were that few surprisingly. I think around 100k is starting become an average though..

One other thing I've noticed and wanted to mention/ask is why so many Rev5's for sale are high mileage, I'd be looking at Rev1/2's circa 90-100k and then I see a Rev 5, 120k plus, different class of people owning them perhaps?

Anyway just keep looking, there are a good few low milage 2's of all revisions out there, even Rev 1's! (Wonder if any have been clocked though? :-k )
jasongtr

Post by jasongtr »

they are over 12 years old, so hardly surprising they dont have low miles.

They are also incredibly easy to clock them (takes about 15mins) so i wouldnt believe a low mileage anyway.
JohnnyC

Post by JohnnyC »

jasongtr wrote:they are over 12 years old, so hardly surprising they dont have low miles.

^^^ This

10,000 miles per year is hardly extraordinary :)

TheBaker wrote:I'd be looking at Rev1/2's circa 90-100k

22 year old car that's only done an average of 4000 miles per annum by every owner in all those years.... :-k
GA54 BLS

Post by GA54 BLS »

And also check how many of the miles are actually kilometers. Bought my car on 91,200 kilometers but after doing the maths (as it hadn't had a converter attached) worked out it was less than 60k miles. (paper work all supported it inc import docs).

Gaz
Chris

Post by Chris »

Realistically, alot of the imports have incorrect mileages..., and as said, these are old cars now. Most will have 100k plus.

High mileage is not a bad thing, if a car is low mileage and kept outside, they are normally truly awful underneath. [-(
TheBaker

Post by TheBaker »

JohnnyC wrote:
jasongtr wrote:they are over 12 years old, so hardly surprising they dont have low miles.

Yeah it's not surprising but what is the majority of older revisions having less miles on them generally. Though I just had a think and maybe it's due to those earlier revisions being the few ones left and are still around because they didn't get driven so much and are in relitavely good condidtion.

I've only ever seen a handful of 2's in adverts past 140k or so.

TheBaker wrote:I'd be looking at Rev1/2's circa 90-100k

22 year old car that's only done an average of 4000 miles per annum by every owner in all those years.... :-k

Yeah.. my Rev2 had 103 in 09 when I got it, 112 now, will be 20 in Dec.

But I guess some could/will have been clocked. Didn't know it was so easy to do.
platmatt8

Post by platmatt8 »

My rev 2 currently sits on 81,378Km :mrgreen:
bennn

Post by bennn »

My rev 3 is on 140k which for an 18 year old car is pretty low mileage – working out at around 7800 miles a year.

IMO as long as they have been maintained well I wouldn’t worry too much about mileage – cars like to be driven and don’t like short journeys on a cold engine. With lower mileage cars you’ll usually find they’ve been stood for a long time or only been used for short stop-start trips.
riot68

Post by riot68 »

I got a rev1 a couple of years ago with 69K on it (well 112K KM), done about 4K in it and it's 22 years old now, not missing a beat...
visual anarchy since 1990...

riot68.com

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”