[Mk2] [Turbo] cold starting problems on a turbo - please help

Anything and everything to do with mechanical issues with your Mk2

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Daemonslayer

[Mk2] [Turbo] cold starting problems on a turbo - please help

Post by Daemonslayer »

Hi fellas,
my car was offseason for over 3 months nearly 4.
my battery died over the winter even with a charger.
So i bought a new one.Decided to go for a small VARTA Blue Dynmic line with
42AH and 390 crank amps.(yep really small)
Today i started the car and it took quiet some rotations (like 10-15) of the Starter to get it startet.Second attempt 4 hours later was the same.I had the valve head and all fuel lines removed over winter.And now am using overhauled (bosch service) fuel injectors.
Could it be that this battery is to weak?Or is it because air trapped in the fuel lines for the first few miles?Cant imagine another reason as i didnt change nothing else.

Never had this issue with the old battery.grounding wires are all new and thicker than stock (made by Merc.).I had the impression it turns quiet strong but i dont got fuel or spark.Checked spark plugs and gap - all are within specs (.8mm) and looking perfect (light brown).
Car pulls strong and idles like a champ.
-------------------------------------------------

ok went to our garage today again to put in my new suspension.
After that i had time to check for my Starting issue again..and found..nothing.

I tried another bigger battery,redone my Groundwires to toyota layout,checked my starter by unbolting it + its wires,checked my COPs for spark and reconnected all plugs.

Car still behaves very strange.
When i start it cold it takes like 20 starter revs to get started and then i smell much fuel from the exhaust.So it seems somehow it isnt possible to ignite the charge.

i asked myself if it could be temperature related.When i started once..the car starts much better on the following starts..Except you let it cool down again.

i melted my brain on the problem and cant find the solution.
Its like the injectors or the spark isnt right.
spark plugs are light brown and 1 year old,injectors are used,cleaned and checked for spray pattern by Bosch service.

tomorrow i will measure my tempsensor in the wateroutlet and in the intake manifold.

anyone got sugestions?temp sensor?IAC?
Driftlimits Performance
IMOC Affiliated Company

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] cold starting problems on a turbo - please help

Post by Driftlimits Performance »

when it does start, whats the idle like?

Sounds cold start switch related maybe.

It will smell like fuel, you've been dumping it in turning it over.

Fault codes?

Checked nothing is leaking?
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

pull the plug on the 5th injector and give it a try.
Daemonslayer

Post by Daemonslayer »

hi fellas,
thanks for the replies,

when it starts the idle is high first (cold start) and then pretty normal goes down to 950.Car pulls like crazy too.
When i cranked and it starts somehow it smells like i dumped lots of fuel through the exhaust.So the charge isnt ignited..

i often heared about cold injector issues.The problem is on the turbo i dont have this injector.
I even only have only one temp sensor in the wateroutlet not 3.Plus one tempsensor in the intake manifold.

iam right on my way to the garage again and will change ecu + battery back again.then nothing else is left then the Injectors or a damaged sensor?

i somehow believe the engine cant fire the charge - so i will test if i get sparks when the starter turns..if thats the case i must move on to injectors.
djpkins

Post by djpkins »

In my limited experience, it's nearly always the simple fix...more likely to be an unresponsive sensor than injectors...you have a rev3 + yes? you should have a water temp sensor in the coolant elbow and another thats for the guage in the car (single wire, all it does is the guage)...the water temp sensor may be worth changing, it's done an awfull lot of work by now and is relatively cheap to replace from Camskill....coolant change at the same time could be in order....error codes?
Daemonslayer

Post by Daemonslayer »

hello,
the gen4 has only one coolant sensor (3 wires,ecu in,out,gauge) in the water neck + one tempsensor in the intake manifold.

i pulled the plug of the coolant sensor and the car nearly didnt start + i got an engine check light (yellow).When i plugged it back in the car instantly ran normal (idle) again.It also alters the RPM down to 900 when warm.

The intake manifold tempsensor does not react when pulled in idle or for engine start.I gues thats normal (no engine code either).

I checked engine errors and only got error 78 which we gen4 drivers all do and did have since day one.(isnt listed on error code list of the gen4).But as i had this error since forever it cant be the problem.

yesterday i took a testride again - and something strange occured.My engine fan red light went on.So i pulled over and checked the fan - it was off.Pulled the tempsensor at the engine lid and it still didnt react.So i pulled the FAN relay and plugged it in again - fan started and did so on the rides later on.I never had such problem before.
I asked myself if those 3 1/2 months were bad for the parts and some maybe gor a bit moisture inside (i have a garage).

My mechanic put it down to the facts-you need 3 things to start,fuel,air,compression - so iam missing one of them or getting one of them bad on coldstart situations - maybe.
He said i could inspect the IAC valve.. (used WD40) on it on my rebuild one year ago.Maybe it s(t)ucks a bit.

the strange thing is when i once got it started i can turn it off and on as often i want it does not rev more then 2ce to startup.If i let it stay for 20minutes - i got the problem again.

will measure both coolant sensor and try to find out if they are ok (i know they are temp curve related/values)

Return to “Mechanical”