IMOC car insurance?

Discussion and technical advice the SW20 MR2. 3S-GTE, 3S-GE, 3S-FE etc
Anything and everything to do with maintenance, modifications and electrical is in here for the Mk2.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

DotNetter

IMOC car insurance?

Post by DotNetter »

Hi all

Anyone heard anything about the insurance scheme?

My current policy expires on 1st September and I'm not getting particularly good quotes given my high annual millage :(

Also, anyone ever been quoted by these guys...the have a link through to the www.mr2oc.co.uk so wondered what they were like?

http://www.skyinsurance.co.uk/clubs.html

Cheers

Wayne
DotNetter

Re: IMOC car insurance?

Post by DotNetter »

WTF!!!

Just been getting some quotes and I cannot believe how much my insurance is going to cost me!!! :cry:

Here's the brakedown:

Annual Mileage now upto 15K

www.privalege.co.uk
£512.40 - £450 excess
This is without declared mods as I could only use their website to get an idea and they don't support mods online!

Hastings Direct
Can't quote imports?!

www.admiral.com
£756 - £350 excess

Tesco
£685.65 - £450 excess
Again, this is without declared mods due to website!!!!

Bell Direct
£757.05 - £350 excess

norwich union
£816 - £320+ excess
Again, without mods due to website

What is going on here????

I live in a small village in the backend of beyond in the middle of Somerset, I have 6yrs NCD with no accidents and only 1 offence (SP60 last year). I have a GT Auto 136/142 immobiliser (not sure if cat 1 or 2)

1990 mk2 rev1 - Only mods are the K&N and the exhaust...but surely these can't make that much difference????

I can't even get close to the £500 mark!

I've noticed that the premium drops when I lessen the millage (hence going from 18K > 15K...anyone know HOW the insurance men check your millage??? :)

Please help me ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) :clown:

Cheers

Wayne
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

Just bull$h1t the milage, i'm sure they don't ever check it anyway. Have you ever told them what the milage is each year???
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
DotNetter

Post by DotNetter »

Anyone ever had to make a claim on insurance...your thoughts please?

I would have thought they'd at least look at the millage on the MOT?

...this would be fine if you had a crash within the first 6 months of a policy but not very good if u happened to need to claim a few weeks before the end of a policy :D

Cheers

Wayne
Mark Edwards

Post by Mark Edwards »

I can't see how they expect you to know how many miles you do anyway. Surely not everyone does the same amount of miles each and every year!? For me it depends on how many events i go to.
xxxx, AM TUNING, sbITs
shawnpurple

Post by shawnpurple »

Marks right mate just say a lesser mileage they dont check on this as much as say lying about your mods which is a different matter ive never had an insurance company check up or ask about my mileage. ps ive declared my mods before you ask.
DaMonsta

Post by DaMonsta »

Hi:

It must be your age or something. My last insurance premium for my NA in the UK was £195 TPFT with something like £200 excess. Or I could have had fully comp for about £250. That's with declared mods of wheels, exhaust, tinted windows and steering wheel. I forget who it was with but it was one of the main online insurers.

Regards,
Jim
michael

Post by michael »

A fair few Supra people use SKY and seem happy with them, they are the club insurers for MKIVSupra.net
juliankv73

Insurance

Post by juliankv73 »

Hi

I have just had the same problem with the exception that my car is undergoing a turbo transplant as we speak.

My car is a 98 REV 5 but I used to pay £375 fullly comp with unlimited mileage and travel to and from one place of work. It included driving others cars benefit and european green card too.

I was insured with Flint Group Insurance and their telephone number is 0870 01155320

They are an insurance company based just down the road from me, but in the 4 years of owning my 2, I have never called them until last year and then found they were the cheapest and bloody excellent with their customer service.

Unfotunately they would not cover my turbo conversion and I had to cancel my policy early, but I cant fault them!!

i tried Sky and they wanted £1049 for my trubo converted car! **GULP** and that was supposed to be **the most competitive quote you will get in this current climate**.. YEH right! #-o

I rang Adrian Flux and I now pay just £492 for a Turbo converted MR2 -Brilliant! But my excess is £350. But only up by £100 from the excess I had at Flint insurance. \:D/

HTH

Julian

EDIT- I have ALL mods declared with Adrian Flux too........
Last edited by juliankv73 on Thu Aug 18, 2005 9:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rich

Post by Rich »

DotNetter wrote:1990 mk2 rev1 - Only mods are the K&N and the exhaust...but surely these can't make that much difference????

Give Lloyds a try, mine is the same except has a veilside kit and unmatchable custom paint, all declaired at market value. Lloyds were by far the cheapest (although do have a 1K excess for accidental damage!)
steve

Post by steve »

sky on the OC scheme was the cheapest for me.

flux was £700 fc last year 12k limited no mods declared

sky was £545 fc with all mods declared no mileage limits.
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

PM BenF, he has the IMOC scheme details for Premium Members.
We are going to be creating a premium member forum for such things in the near future.
T
DaMonsta

Post by DaMonsta »

Hi:

The problem with people like Sky insurance is they tend to target younger drivers in sportier cars and they have minimum premiums on the policies they issue. I wouldn't be surprised if Sky had a minimum policy premium of something like £400. So for someone my age, zillion years no-claims, garaged, NA, low risk area, Sky would be mighty uncompetitive. :)

Regards,
Jim
DotNetter

Post by DotNetter »

steve wrote:sky on the OC scheme was the cheapest for me.

sorted! :)

Gave them a ring...very helpful chap called James.

Went through the details including the mods and he came back with a fully comp quote with protected NCD of £546 with unlimited millage and only £300 excess!!!!!!!!

suffice to say I'll have to join MR2oc to get this deal...unless we get the IMOC stuff done aswell in which case I'll use my current membership (would be better as I don't really use the other forum and I would have thought that for the IMOC to get a competitive scheme they'll have to put a lot of business the way of the insurance company???)

I've PM'd BenF to see what's what.

Cheers all...and give Sky a call! :)

Wayne
Warlock

Post by Warlock »

I joined the oc and got mine insured with sky having been with Dorset.
Good deal with all mods declared.
Vindezal

Post by Vindezal »

steve wrote:sky on the OC scheme was the cheapest for me.

soon as ya hit that 24/25yr old section then it will drop loooaads! \:D/

I couldnt beleive it when it did mine. im with admiral tho think i will change to this Flint place... they do import? :-k
steve

Post by steve »

Vindezal wrote:soon as ya hit that 24/25yr old section then it will drop loooaads! \:D/

does it? i'm 30 next year :lol:
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

Well I am pretty impressed with the IMOC scheme - yes they would've insured my twincharger all mods declared for a reasonable amount - the only reason I didn't take it up is because I want an agreed value, and they could only offer me MK1 book value...bit of an issue as it's only about £1500 and I've spent a bit more than that :oops:

If any premium members want details feel free to PM me, definitely worth a call. With insurance it's always worth phoning as MANY as possible.

T
CosmosblueMR2

Post by CosmosblueMR2 »

will the IMOC scheme cover tubby transplants ? :?
Car now Sold :cry: damn 5th Lumber Disc !
tonigmr2
IMOC Committee

Post by tonigmr2 »

I don't see why not - if they are willing to cover a twincharger with a completely different engine and internals. They got me to email a full list of all modifications and some photos of the car - it was very comprehensive.
T

Return to “MR2 MK2 1990 - 1999 NA & Turbo”