[Mk2] [Turbo] Twin exhaust to replace an HKS Hi Power single *Pics request*

Posts about anything do to with modifying your car such as fitting aftermarket parts, bodykit, or tuning the engine for more performance.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

Magic Beans

[Mk2] [Turbo] Twin exhaust to replace an HKS Hi Power single *Pics request*

Post by Magic Beans »

I'd like to replace my current HKS Hi Power exhaust with a twin of some sort. The HKS is a great exhaust, it's not really to my taste aesthetically. So I'm interested to hear from people who've tried or heard the various twins, to get feedback on their experiences.

My requirements are:

- It can't be too loud. My HKS isn't quiet, however it's not offensive. So something of a similar noise level, possibly a little louder if necessary, would be great.
- It must have good flow. Ideally equal to or better than my HKS
- Nothing too big. The cans on Dep 2's etc are a little too much for my taste.
- Decat, as my current set-up is sans Cat ;)

I've been looking around and units like the Blueflames, Mongooses (Mongeese?), look pretty good. However I've read that the Mongoose drones when cruising at speed? Are they all like this? Am I chasing a dream, or is there the holy grail out there? I also saw a photo of a tubby with an exhaust which looked simlar to the one found on a TVR Tuscan. It was suggested it might be an MRD?

All feedback welcomed and appreciated :thumleft:
Last edited by Magic Beans on Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Re: [Mk2] [Turbo] Twin exhaust to replace an HKS Hi Power single *Pics request*

Post by afennell »

I have had my share of exhausts and would say the Berk is the best, nice sound but not too loud and fine at cruising speeds. Also nice and free flowing along with fully stainless.
The mongoose and blue flame ones I found awful when cruising on motorways, drones to the extent i would not do long journeys. (my car does not have a cat)
This may help.
http://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic. ... c&start=40
craig

Post by craig »

Twin exits I've had over the years:

Mongoose
Japspeed
Departure 2 reg
Departure 2 pro.

Obviously the departures are out, as you stated they're not to your taste. The Japspeed was fairly loud, I have had a few mongooses and I found them ok to be fair. Nice stockish looks, well made, and not overly loud etc :thumleft:
uglee

Post by uglee »

If you're quite specific about what you want I'd go full custom. But don't take it to a powerflow place etc, they just have off the shelf back boxes which don't look quite right IMO.

Don't know how far away you are from Newcastle, but AAS really know their stuff and if they can fabricate a V6 Y-pipe midsection, 3 flexi joints, pre silencer and a fabricated backbox all to my design&specs for £600. I'm willing to gamble a Turbo setup will be a shedload easier to make and a lot cheaper poss around the £400 mark?

You then get an exhaust nobody else has and perfect for your needs.
HTH
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

afennell wrote:I have had my share of exhausts and would say the Berk is the best, nice sound but not too loud and fine at cruising speeds. Also nice and free flowing along with fully stainless.
The mongoose and blue flame ones I found awful when cruising on motorways, drones to the extent i would not do long journeys. (my car does not have a cat)
This may help.

Thanks for the link :thumleft: I had been wondering what the Jasma badge on my HKS meant but never got around to investigating :wink:

I have read bad things about the 'Mongeese' and with the blueflame being essentially the same thing, I guess it sounds much the same.

The Berk looks good however I assumed it would be pretty loud?
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

RedMR² wrote:Twin exits I've had over the years:

Mongoose
Japspeed
Departure 2 reg
Departure 2 pro.

Obviously the departures are out, as you stated they're not to your taste. The Japspeed was fairly loud, I have had a few mongooses and I found them ok to be fair. Nice stockish looks, well made, and not overly loud etc :thumleft:

The thread on the Japspeed vs neighbours has put me off them somewhat. :shock:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

uglee wrote:If you're quite specific about what you want I'd go full custom. But don't take it to a powerflow place etc, they just have off the shelf back boxes which don't look quite right IMO.

Don't know how far away you are from Newcastle, but AAS really know their stuff and if they can fabricate a V6 Y-pipe midsection, 3 flexi joints, pre silencer and a fabricated backbox all to my design&specs for £600. I'm willing to gamble a Turbo setup will be a shedload easier to make and a lot cheaper poss around the £400 mark?

You then get an exhaust nobody else has and perfect for your needs.
HTH

funny you should say that, as there's a custom exhaust place 30 seconds from where I work. Custom was another possibility I was considering, for the reasons you listed. However I forgot to add it into the original post #-o

If there's no ideal aftermarket unit out there it's the next avenue. :)
steve

Post by steve »

Fujitsubo Legalis-R

the best exhaust i've owned, all i can hear is turbo spool with a tiny bit of exhaust/engine noise from in the car.

previously i've had:-

Standard
Departure 2 pro - loud
KO Racing T1 - louder
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

steve wrote:Fujitsubo Legalis-R

the best exhaust i've owned, all i can hear is turbo spool with a tiny bit of exhaust/engine noise from in the car.

previously i've had:-

Standard
Departure 2 pro - loud
KO Racing T1 - louder

I also have the Legalis R.

It's the mac daddy of exhausts. Looks great and sounds deep but not to chavvy
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

The Legalis R is the one which looks similar to the stock unit?
dazzz

Post by dazzz »

Magic Beans wrote:The Legalis R is the one which looks similar to the stock unit?

Looks like the standard one but meaty
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

I'm drawn to the Super Drager (Dragger?) for sale on here, however am again concerned it will be too loud. As the sound deadening has been removed. Looks great though :-k

*Edit* It's going to be way too loud. Watched a few videos of the regular version (with sound deadening in) and it's a fair old noise.

Is there a compromise in terms of flow if I get something which isn't, well, huge? :shock:
craig

Post by craig »

Not fancy keeping the HKS mate? I think it looks great :thumleft:
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

RedMR² wrote:Not fancy keeping the HKS mate? I think it looks great :thumleft:

I hated it when I first got the car, as it wasn't in the best of condition. However as with the rest of it, a good amount of elbow grease and time has brought it up really well. So currently it looks pretty good and isn't offensive to the ears.

however.. :wink:

.. I've always liked the look of twin exhausts and the fact there's a gap where the other pipe should sit is nagging me. I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to these thing ](*,)
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:
the fact there's a gap where the other pipe should sit is nagging me.

Easy solution, angle grind the grill off :twisted:
afennell
IMOC Organiser

Post by afennell »

Magic Beans wrote:
afennell wrote:I have had my share of exhausts and would say the Berk is the best, nice sound but not too loud and fine at cruising speeds. Also nice and free flowing along with fully stainless.
This may help.

Thanks for the link :thumleft: I had been wondering what the Jasma badge on my HKS meant but never got around to investigating :wink:

I have read bad things about the 'Mongeese' and with the blueflame being essentially the same thing, I guess it sounds much the same.

The Berk looks good however I assumed it would be pretty loud?

The Berks are very friendly and not too loud at all, In my search for a quiet free flowing exhaust it was the best, im my opinion.

Worth remembering the hks ones are mild steel and will rust.
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

Haha, that's one idea. I quite like the grill though, it hides what's underneath, adding mystery :lol:
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:Haha, that's one idea. I quite like the grill though, it hides what's underneath, adding mystery :lol:

:mrgreen:

With any single exit, it's a must to get rid in my opinion.

Also, with any aftermarket exhaust, it hides the shiny cans :(
Magic Beans

Post by Magic Beans »

For exhausts like the HKS, Berk etc it's a must have. Having a giant exhaust showing all it's guts on a car looks like it's trying too hard, if that makes sense? :wink:
craig

Post by craig »

Magic Beans wrote:For exhausts like the HKS, Berk etc it's a must have. Having a giant exhaust showing all it's guts on a car looks like it's trying too hard, if that makes sense? :wink:

Nope :mrgreen:

I just think it looks better without it. Personal preference I guess :thumleft:

Return to “Modifications”