Insurance advice, 2nd car, classic policy.

Discussion and technical advice for 84-89 AW10 & AW11 MR2. 3A-LU, 4A-GE, 4A-GZE.

Moderators: IMOC Moderators, IMOC Committee Members

donna

Re: Insurance advice, 2nd car, classic policy.

Post by donna »

I tried Houghtons who were very good and quoted £185 for a supercharger or a n/a with a excess of £250 and £100 respectively. This was based on 3k on a classic policy with a stainless exhaust.

Unfortunately when I went to take the insurance with them it changed price, maybe due to my area so I went direct to footman James and got insured for £161 based on 3k and £100 excess with exhaust declared and got another 10% off due to mk1 club membership so £151.

Footman James have been good to deal with and have previously paid out a £28000 claim to my b/f and were decent to deal with. :thumleft:
elbon50

Post by elbon50 »

donna wrote:I tried Houghtons who were very good and quoted £185 for a supercharger or a n/a with a excess of £250 and £100 respectively. This was based on 3k on a classic policy with a stainless exhaust.

Unfortunately when I went to take the insurance with them it changed price, maybe due to my area so I went direct to footman James and got insured for £161 based on 3k and £100 excess with exhaust declared and got another 10% off due to mk1 club membership so £151.

Footman James have been good to deal with and have previously paid out a £28000 claim to my b/f and were decent to deal with. :thumleft:

Hey that seems excellent Donna :)

Never thought of trying FJ

Have used them in the past for classic Triumphs

Will remember for the future

Peter

Post by 5705 »

Just to keep the thread current, I just insured my SC (Super Edition) via Sky (Mk1 club's tame broker) for £188 for 3000m/pa.

For comparison, I was quoted >£800 via Lancaster (who I'd used before for classic Mercedes cover at far better prices).

Go Compare came up with several quotes from £125, but it didn't recognse my car as an SC through the number plate look-up, so I suspect it would have been a fair bit higher if I'd called to correct the car details.
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

just read on FJ site - some of the terms, no modifications to the car and Must be garaged at night.

is that right? or is it by individual case?

T
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

hahahaha! admiral oh dear! I want to insurance my classic mr2 as a 2nd car not the starship enterprise to take on track days!
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

trunks_mk1 wrote:Image

hahahaha! admiral oh dear! I want to insurance my classic mr2 as a 2nd car not the starship enterprise to take on track days!

:O I paid half that with admiral as a 19 year old with a bump and no NCB!
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

AdamP wrote:

your 19 and drive one of these? KUDOS! :thumleft:
donna

Post by donna »

trunks_mk1 wrote:just read on FJ site - some of the terms, no modifications to the car and Must be garaged at night.

is that right? or is it by individual case?

T

It must be ok to have mods as i have declared my exhaust and alloys and the price did not change.

It maybe depends which company they put you with.

Ive had to call them recently with some changes and the service from Footman James has been excellent :thumleft:
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

got to try Houghton and Footman James tomorrow. Classicilne quoted me £380 but only allowed me to add one mod so I need to call them. £240 on confused (SureTerm) but i've not heard of them. Mods are wheels air filter and exhaust, I'm 31, no points, no NCB (used on other car). £250-300 is the price range I'm after. Will update again
AdamP

Post by AdamP »

trunks_mk1 wrote:
AdamP wrote:

your 19 and drive one of these? KUDOS! :thumleft:

Only when you're 19 do you think that buying a few hundred pounds worth of 80s Jap wedge is a good idea..

I'm now 20 and my mind is changing! ;)
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

Houghtons/FJ best quote so far at £300 so am going with them. Other places where really helpful but unable to give me a quote due to one factor or another.
donna

Post by donna »

trunks_mk1 wrote:Houghtons/FJ best quote so far at £300 so am going with them. Other places where really helpful but unable to give me a quote due to one factor or another.

Have you tried going to FJ direct? i got a quote on their website which was about £320, i just left it and then got a text message or email a few days later saying to call them as they may be able to quote a lower price.

It ended up at £161 plus 10% for club membership so £151 going with FJ direct. Houghtons obviously add a premium for using them as a broker for FJ :thumleft:
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

do they allow young drivers and mods on this kind of policy? I dont want to be limited to a small number of miles though :(
Alex
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

pk_090 wrote:do they allow young drivers and mods on this kind of policy? I dont want to be limited to a small number of miles though :(
Alex

Best thing to do is give them a call, lots of factors make a difference, area, main/2nd car, mods, garaged, points, age (to a certain degree), mileage.

Classic insurance usually means limited mileage.

try all the ones mentioned, some wouldn't quote me, some could but the price was silly.

i tried sky insurance, classicline, houghtons, footman james, admiral (multicar) - I'm sure theres more but I was happy with what I got. Got lower results on some comparision sites but unknown companies/read bad reviews. Most of the above I am going by other mr2 users and recomendations - thats always better/peace of mind even if its a bit more.
pk_090

Post by pk_090 »

well sky quoted me 1400 all mods i want to do declared a few months ago and £1200 standard which i was pretty amazed at as flux couldnt quote me below 3k on a standard mk1. Have been on price comparion sites with mixed results from1300 tpft to 10k tpft. Overall a pretty w*anky subject.
mad mallard

Post by mad mallard »

Ive got a modified MR2 ( check out Look What Turned up at our Local Car Club ) link I went to MCE & was honest about the spec & they charged me £233 with 7K mileage OK I'm an old git but give them a go you may be suprised, by the way I went through gocompare & MCE were the best, I also got quotes of over £9000 !!!!!!!
Bunnchris

Post by Bunnchris »

I also called Footman James and ended up getting covered for £151 for 3000 miles. That's in London but garaged overnight. Exhaust and filter and alloys declared. The best for me by thousands!!!
trunks_mk1

Post by trunks_mk1 »

Bunnchris wrote:I also called Footman James and ended up getting covered for £151 for 3000 miles. That's in London but garaged overnight. Exhaust and filter and alloys declared. The best for me by thousands!!!

is this for a mk1 or the mk2 turbo you have? does it fall under a classic?

Return to “MR2 MK1 1984-1989 NA & SC”